Advice on guitar for Pink Floyd tribute band

Re the 22nd fret, I read that he switched guitars for the second part of the solo when recording it, just to get that extra fret...

Bill Lewis custom guitar
- 1970 mahogany body with custom humbuckers and a 24-frets ebony neck. David used the guitar on the Money recording sessions but he might also have used it on Us & Them, Brain Damage and Eclipse although this is not documented.

The other thing to check out would to pre-wired Gilmour pickguard with the EMG pickups, mid boost, etc. You could drop that into just about any Strat type guitar and should be able to nail his tone.

Re the 22nd fret, I read that he switched guitars for the second part of the solo when recording it, just to get that extra fret...

TT
Yes, I'm already considering this, although I'm eager to test the Suhr pickups too :)

Honestly I wouldn't go for EMG DG-20 set. Vast majority of the greatest solos from the best Pink Floyd era were played on his Black Strat equipped with all-Fender (earlier albums) or Seymour Duncan/Fender pickups. First time DG used EMG pickups was on the occasion of Momentary Lapse of Reason recording.

In my opinion the ultimate pickup set for DG-style playing is:
bridge - Seymour Duncan SSL-1
middle: Fender® Custom Shop Custom '69
neck: Fender® Custom Shop Fat '50

Its possible to buy complete David Gilmour Pickguard Assembly (exact replica of the original David Gilmour Fender signature guitar) here:
http://www.stratcat.biz/4035.shtml
It costs 360$, so a bit more than EMG DG-20 pre-wired pickguard (about 300$ @ thomann.de), but in my opinion well worth buying.

There's one significant advantage of the pickguard linked above, extremely important when it comes to replicating Gilmour's tone:
Mini-Toggle Switch Recessed In Pickguard: This is what could be considered "The Gilmour Mod". It activates the neck pickup and is intended to be used when the 5-way switch is in positions 1 or 2. This expands the standard 5 pickup selections to 7.
Gilmour played many solos using both bridge and neck pickups simultaneously. You can't do it with EMG DG-20 pickguard without additional modification.

Honestly I wouldn't go for EMG DG-20 set.

I agree. Make sure you buy it from somewhere you can send it back. Mine wound up on eBay in a heartbeat. Controls are smooth, system is quiet but it just sounded like cardboard to me. No life.

I agree. Make sure you buy it from somewhere you can send it back. Mine wound up on eBay in a heartbeat. Controls are smooth, system is quiet but it just sounded like cardboard to me. No life.
You're talking about the EMG DG-20, right ? Not the other one ?
I was considering the DG-20 kit because besides the Pink Floyd project, it seems it would suit my needs, with the mid boost etc. And I'm used to Thomann, and I have other small stuff to buy from them (strings etc), and it's fixed shipping fees for everything. But now I don't know :)

Emg's are an acquired taste.

If you've never owned a Strat with vintage pups, you might like the Emg's. They are noiseless and have a lot of clarity.

They don't have the spongy feel of vintage pickups. They feel almost like you have a compressor or class A preamp compressing a bit on the front.

Good vintage pups are a bit out of control and require some finesse to play each note with equal volume; especially at mid to high gain.

For some that love vintage Strat pups, the EMG's are terrible. For others that struggle with vintage Strats, the EMG's are wonderful.

I had a Fender USA once, but a recent one, maybe from 1999... I also had EMG humbuckers on a Vigier and hated them with passion, lol... Absolutely lifeless. But I was told that these Gilmour EMG are much better. However, yes that Stratcat Pickguard Assembly looks much better. It costs more too, so I must think carefully

D Allen has a set of Gilmour-insipired pickups called Echoes.

Read a review here: http://www.gilmourish.com/?p=4842

Put a set of these in a maple Strat and I think you'd get a great vintage Gilmour sound.

My most "Gilmour" Strat is a 2012 American Vintage 57 Reissue with Klein Epic 55 pickups. I know the pups are 50s-inspired, but it gets a great Gilmour sound.

You're talking about the EMG DG-20, right ? Not the other one ?

That's correct. Beautiful construction, gorgeous and efficient electronics, easy install... it just lacked tone or dynamics. Can't tell you the technical scoop. I got it because I have an ESP MH1000ET that has an EMG 60 and EMG 81 that I love.

Last edited:
12764696_10153253271377245_7464049292028394298_o.jpg

She's here :) Again, a BIG BIG thanks to dpavel, that's a marvelous gift !
psst forget the mess in the background, there's works at my apartment now... There's dust everywhere and everything is moved to other rooms, I can't even use my Axe on monitors etc... And neither the AX8 I just received ! But next week everything will be back to normal.

They're good, ain't they?

Pink Floyd tunes can be relatively easy to play, but very tricky to play well. Nice going, Fremen!

Back
Top Bottom