Software FracPad III - iOS/Android/Mac/Win Editor for the Axe-Fx II/XL/XL+, AX8/FX8, Axe-Fx III and FM3/FM9

Third party software for Fractal Audio products.
Fantastic App AlG!! Purchased from the App Store for my iPad. Was up and running in minutes. Started plugged, then went wireless. Exceptional job. Thanks for the creativity & time you put into it. Big thanks to your beta testing team too (Yek et. al). Absolutely love this! You've given an amazing tool like the AxeFx & AX8 an awesome sidekick...

Cheers, my friend...

Fantastic App AlG!! Purchased from the App Store for my iPad. Was up and running in minutes. Started plugged, then went wireless. Exceptional job. Thanks for the creativity & time you put into it. Big thanks to your beta testing team too (Yek et. al). Absolutely love this! You've given an amazing tool like the AxeFx & AX8 an awesome sidekick...

Cheers, my friend...
Finally maybe it's gonna be a good day

Hi,

I have a question regarding FracPad, but first, I want to congratulate Al for his great job. Amazing to see all he did the past years to improve the product and reach such a quality with so many features. I'm really considering using FradPad, but I also have to deal with my current devices... so this is what I already tried, but still have a few doubts.

I only read the fist 45 pages of the post; so I don't know if my question has been raised the last month; if yes, well... sorry! :)
My goal is to connect my Axe FX II XL to my devices.

1. I first tried the Windows version on my laptop to check what Fracpad looked like. As I use Linux (Ubuntu 17.10), I ran Fracpad with Wine. Just like I do for Axe Edit. The FAS driver where installed as it is a requirement for Axe Edit (cfr wiki) and I don't know if they're used by Fracpad. But by this, I confirm Fracpad also runs under Linux!!!

2. My phone is an "old" Moto G running android 6. I could install the demo version on it, but I need an OTG cable to test further. I need to get one...

3. My even older tablet is an asus transformer running Android 4.2.1. The tablet-self doesn't have USB port, but the docking has one (standard USB). As I can plug a mouse, I thought it might be OTG compliant. Here also, I could install fracpad demo without problem. But when I connect my Axe FX with a standard USB cable, Fracpad crashes during the reading of the blocks (just after the splash screen saying it's a demo version). I know I'm not using an OTG cable and I know Android is only supported from 4.4, but if I have a chance to make it work, I'm considering buying an OTG plug like this: Amazon product ASIN B00B27CXUU . I know probably nobody tried that kind of interface and I don't ask support for that or the confirmation it might work. My question is: in case of incompatibility or wrong configuration what are the symptoms; how does Fracpad reacts? does it starts? I had to plug the axe fx after Fracpad was started, when the devices connection grid is displayed, to go to that point. When I plug the axe first, Fracpad doesn't even start.I have the feeling I went far in the start up of Fracpad and the crash is due to a bad communication between the table and the Axe FX.

Depending on your advices, I'll have to buy a 10€ adaptor or a 200€ tablet :)

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, and once again, congratulation to Al for all his efforts!!!

Gautier

FracPad doesn't work on devices too old and slow to run at least Android 5. It took a while until Al got it to work on my old Samsung Galaxy 10.4 2014 tablet which is on Android 5.

Yes, I know about compatibility, the wierd thing is that is starts and the communication is established, but for some reason Fracpad can't get the informations like mentioned in the log:

Debug: Loaded main.qml
Debug: Starting main loop
Debug: message from Java : "Java Init"
Debug: message from Java : "Java Init : found power service"
Debug: message from Java : "Java Init : installed wakelock"
Debug: message from Java : "Java Init : using Android4 midi driver"
Debug: message from Java : "setMidiDevicesList : AXE-FX II"
Debug: message from Java : "setFasDevicePresent true"
Debug: initAxeFx : sending who_am_i
Debug: message from Java : "setFasDevicePresent already true"
Debug: message from Java : "setMidiChosen : AXE-FX II"
Debug: initAxeFx : connected to "AxeFx II XL" ( 6 )
Debug: Unexpected error in askForParameterInfos "Comp 1" 1 , continuing

This last line comes for all the parameters (Comp 1 3, Comp 1 5, ... , GraphicEQ 1, Amp 1, ...)

I just wonder what causes the error? Is that OTG or just indeed, a too old device?

Don't need anybody spending time on it, just a tech advice!

Last edited:
Yes, I know about compatibility, the wierd thing is that is starts and the communication is established, but for some reason Fracpad can't get the informations like mentioned in the log:

Debug: Loaded main.qml
Debug: Starting main loop
Debug: message from Java : "Java Init"
Debug: message from Java : "Java Init : found power service"
Debug: message from Java : "Java Init : installed wakelock"
Debug: message from Java : "Java Init : using Android4 midi driver"
Debug: message from Java : "setFasDevicePresent true"
Debug: initAxeFx : sending who_am_i
Debug: message from Java : "setFasDevicePresent already true"
Debug: message from Java : "setMidiChosen : AXE-FX II"
Debug: initAxeFx : connected to "AxeFx II XL" ( 6 )
Debug: Unexpected error in askForParameterInfos "Comp 1" 1 , continuing

This last line comes for all the parameters (Comp 1 3, Comp 1 5, ... , GraphicEQ 1, Amp 1, ...)

I just wonder what causes the error? Is that OTG or just indeed, a too old device?

Don't need anybody spending time on it, just a tech advice!
Unexpected error in askForParameterInfos : the device looses some midi data, hence FracPad receives incoherent data.

Hi,

I have a question regarding FracPad, but first, I want to congratulate Al for his great job. Amazing to see all he did the past years to improve the product and reach such a quality with so many features. I'm really considering using FradPad, but I also have to deal with my current devices... so this is what I already tried, but still have a few doubts.

I only read the fist 45 pages of the post; so I don't know if my question has been raised the last month; if yes, well... sorry! :)
My goal is to connect my Axe FX II XL to my devices.

1. I first tried the Windows version on my laptop to check what Fracpad looked like. As I use Linux (Ubuntu 17.10), I ran Fracpad with Wine. Just like I do for Axe Edit. The FAS driver where installed as it is a requirement for Axe Edit (cfr wiki) and I don't know if they're used by Fracpad. But by this, I confirm Fracpad also runs under Linux!!!

2. My phone is an "old" Moto G running android 6. I could install the demo version on it, but I need an OTG cable to test further. I need to get one...

3. My even older tablet is an asus transformer running Android 4.2.1. The tablet-self doesn't have USB port, but the docking has one (standard USB). As I can plug a mouse, I thought it might be OTG compliant. Here also, I could install fracpad demo without problem. But when I connect my Axe FX with a standard USB cable, Fracpad crashes during the reading of the blocks (just after the splash screen saying it's a demo version). I know I'm not using an OTG cable and I know Android is only supported from 4.4, but if I have a chance to make it work, I'm considering buying an OTG plug like this: Amazon product ASIN B00B27CXUU . I know probably nobody tried that kind of interface and I don't ask support for that or the confirmation it might work. My question is: in case of incompatibility or wrong configuration what are the symptoms; how does Fracpad reacts? does it starts? I had to plug the axe fx after Fracpad was started, when the devices connection grid is displayed, to go to that point. When I plug the axe first, Fracpad doesn't even start.I have the feeling I went far in the start up of Fracpad and the crash is due to a bad communication between the table and the Axe FX.

Depending on your advices, I'll have to buy a 10€ adaptor or a 200€ tablet :)

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, and once again, congratulation to Al for all his efforts!!!

Gautier
Thanks Gautier,
I'd highly recommend using a system with Android 6 or superior, as the Android 4.4 compatibility has forced me to develop a midi driver and uses more memory and cpu, so could loose data if the hardware is not sufficient...

Just finished setting up my system, so far working great:

Fracpad on iPad/iPhone
Yamaha MD-BT01
Axe FX II XL+
Two MIDI Solutions two input/two output MIDI Mergers
FCB1010 modded with power/two way MIDI, and tap tempo switch, over RJ-45 via breakout box
Eureka PROM 3.2
FlexSoft Stage-Quality Ethernet Cable with Smart Convertible EtherCon Style Connectors (50')

1st MIDI Merger Box connections:
Axe FX MIDI OUT --> MIDI Merger IN1
MIDI Merger OUT1 --> FCB1010 Breakout box MIDI IN
MIDI Merger OUT2 --> BT01 MIDI IN

2nd MIDI Merger Box connections:
FCB1010 Breakout box MIDI OUT --> MIDI Merger IN1
BT01 MIDI OUT --> MIDI Merger IN2
MIDI Merger OUT1 --> Axe FX MIDI IN

So now I can have Fracpad running on the iPad or iPhone, use it for editing, or just display the grid to see the status of everything. And then the FCB1010 will reflect any changes made via Fracpad; such as scene changes, turning effects on and off, etc.... And like wise, when scenes or effect states are changed via the FCB1010, it's reflected on Fracpad. Very cool.

Thanks Gautier,
I'd highly recommend using a system with Android 6 or superior, as the Android 4.4 compatibility has forced me to develop a midi driver and uses more memory and cpu, so could loose data if the hardware is not sufficient...
Thank a lot Al,
I understand now better the origin of the problem with Android 4.4. I'll try Fracpad on my phone as soon as I get the OTG cable I ordered.

Al,

Thanks for the great app. New user here and really like the app. My primary use is to assist with visibility of the various settings while performing as my eyes have a tough time reading them on the floor. Especially the bank and preset selections.

I was wondering what the logic is behind the ordering of the blocks in Big Display Mode? They don't seem to follow the order (left to right) of the block layout when originally created or the order of the layout of S1-S8.

What would really be great for me is to have the Big Display layout mirror the S1-S8 switches for the blocks that are assigned to the switches along the bottom two rows and then the remaining blocks lined up along the top row in the order they were originally created. For example:

Row 1 (non-S1 to S8 blocks) Inp | Amp | Cab | Out | Etc.
Row 2 (optional if needed for additional blocks)
Row 3 (S1-S4)
Row 4 (S5-S8)

The primary purpose/advantage to this layout is that it visually mirrors the display on the AX8 on the floor. I have a standard way of laying out my S1-S8 switches and this would allow me to quickly access the iPad layout just like the foot switch layout. Could this be an option to have the Big Display Mode block layout mirror the AX8 switch display (S1-S8)?

Hope this makes sense.

At any rate, Cheers! for a great product.

Jim

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom