Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 7.02 Firmware Release

That's probably because a soft resets also resets Master Volume.

This. In my experience this was the only parameter that caused a drop in volume. Most of my recto patches have MV set to between 3-3.5, and after updating the amps a drop to the default value of 2.5 was fairly obvious.

I haven't experimented with the MV much in my presets for quite some time, probably around Q2 era. It was actually beneficial to reset amps in all my patches after Q7 bc I've found I prefer slightly lower MV values now with the recent modeling improvements. It's amazing how a difference of just -1.00 brought my DT Awake presets to life again!

I was just experimenting with the new Motor Drive in the Amp block with a few high gain amps and noticed the following "strange" behavior.
for Values > 0 up to about 9, I heard increasing compression as expected but when I turn it all the way up to 10, I noticed a jump in volume almost as if the compression gets turned off. Is this expected or maybe a software boundary condition type of bug ?

i doubt you want it up to 10 anyway. you're looking for a 3-6db of compression, which in my experience happens somewhere between 4 and 7 on the dial, depending on the amp

Why does speaker drive default to 0 when double clicked but defaults to .5 on amp reset? Also, why doesn't motor drive default to 6.67 anymore? I hope there will be a gain meter added to axe edit in the future.

i doubt you want it up to 10 anyway. you're looking for a 3-6db of compression, which in my experience happens somewhere between 4 and 7 on the dial, depending on the amp
Yeah - I understand that . Just wanted to see if it was a Software bug or not.... old habits die hard - spent 30+ years developing software :)

Why does speaker drive default to 0 when double clicked but defaults to .5 on amp reset? Also, why doesn't motor drive default to 6.67 anymore? I hope there will be a gain meter added to axe edit in the future.
Axe-Edit does not properly default most parameters on a double click, IME. I do not rely on it, the only sure way is to select and reselect the block. Depth, presence, etc. They're all over the place relative to what AE will reset them to on a double click.

Why does speaker drive default to 0 when double clicked but defaults to .5 on amp reset?
Double-clicking a parameter just returns you to an arbitrary starting point. It doesn't take time to ask the hardware what the default is for that particular amp.

Double-clicking a parameter just returns you to an arbitrary starting point. It doesn't take time to ask the hardware what the default is for that particular amp.

I've always been a bit confused by that, and wound up concluding the same thing as you said, Rex.
However, it seems like a missed UI opportunity, in that it could possibly be programmed to return the recommended default position, as opposed to an arbitrary point?

Axe-Edit does not properly default most parameters on a double click, IME. I do not rely on it, the only sure way is to select and reselect the block. Depth, presence, etc. They're all over the place relative to what AE will reset them to on a double click.
This. For example, double-clicking on the Master Volume Trim goes to 0.100 ;-)

I've always been a bit confused by that, and wound up concluding the same thing as you said, Rex.
However, it seems like a missed UI opportunity, in that it could possibly be programmed to return the recommended default position, as opposed to an arbitrary point?
I agree it would be helpful if a double-click took you to the default value. Sounds like a good candidate for the Wish List. :)

Agreed. My suspicion is that this is a moving target due to the constant firmware updates and it is probably not something that can be queried directly via sysex and hard coding the data into AE would just be a Bad Thing (error prone, slow down updates, etc).

AE would have to do something like have a new firmware init function that actually went through each amp block in a scratch preset, had the Axe reset the block and then read the defaults and store them, sort of like the block definition deal. I'd personally willing to take the additional time hit on the first boot after a new firmware.

This, plus having an AE function that actually reset the amp preserving the 'Basic' and 'Eq' page and it would be solid gold.

Back
Top Bottom