Axe-Fx II "Quantum" 2.00 Public Beta Numero Tres

?..The new equations are based on actual tube curves rather that theoretical equations. I don't think we can get any more accurate than that.

May I be the first to bitch if you didn't pick the best Mullards or Telefunkens you could find to measure?
;-)

Seriously, thank you for not being ever completely satisfied. I think you've brought modeling far enough that people may be able to start to think beyond accurate reflection of the tube counterpart, and instead think about tone as a more idealized, flexible thing.

Last edited:
There were a ton of guitar players in the crowd at Saturdays gig....many of them huge tube snobs. It was awesome hearing all the positive comments from all of them. The Soundguy said he kept freaking out hearing my acoustic and then looking up and seeing my snakeskin Warlock. Many commented that they didn't want to believe that the axefx could sound great, but they were now believers...could hear that's a Mesa, that's a Marshall, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
There were a ton of guitar players in the crowd at Saturdays gig....many of them huge tube snobs. It was awesome hearing all the positive comments from all of them. The Soundguy said he kept freaking out hearing my acoustic and then looking up and seeing my snakeskin Warlock. Many commented that they didn't want to believe that the axefx could sound great, but they were now believers...could hear that's a Mesa, that's a Marshall, etc.

What acoustic preset & IR are you using these days?

Reactions: J.C
This is the first time I tried a beta. Just had to give it a spin. I was completely blown away. I need to tweak my presets as the eq seemed to have shifted a bit, but the feel of the amps and the natural compression, response and overdrive was really inspiring! Fantastic update!

Someone asked earlier whether all the I've models had been updated with measurements or whether only the 12ax7a model was updated. Has Cliff responded to this?

Sounds really incredible. I think I do hear a difference, too. There's something in the low mids that is just really spongy, for lack of a better term.

I love what we have and if Cliff figures out something new, I'm ready for that also.

I do too man, please don't take any of my posts the wrong way. :)

I kind of disagree with some of the above statements about updates, things have gotten better and easier all the while. I've had sounds that I loved that got lost with fw updates, but now I can get those so easily.

It depends who you are, how you use your AXE and what the conditions may be. I don't know about you, but I own a business, play shows all the time that rely heavily on my axe and am recording an album that will be released worldwide with two reputable labels. (not bragging, just enforcing my point, honest) If I tweak a tone for over a week or more, it's a HUGE inconvenience for me. I feel that should be accepted and respected by anyone and everyone whether they be in my position or not. That's just human compassion and consideration for another Axe brother.

"Then don't update" comes out, yet there are new things that are welcomed and needed in the update that I can't use. See my point? Playing a series of shows....new update comes along that alters my tone pretty drastic, yet the update fixes other things as well as gives me faster patch changes and better cpu use. I'm screwed if I want to keep my tone. LOL!

You also have to remember, just because something may be easier for a select few doesn't mean it's that way for others, ya know what I mean? There are quite a few bedroom guitar wizards on this site that aren't as concerned with pin-point accuracy tones nor do they rely on certain sounds live or in the studio because they may not be faced with clients, deadlines or just in search of a specific sound due to releasing an album on a legit label like myself. If you're ever in that position, you'll understand. If you ARE in that position, you are gifted...and I mean that respectfully, not sarcastically. ;) When something ain't right with my axe, I know about it and at times it's been a ferocious up-hill battle. There may only be 10 of us on this site that share my view...but we do exist. LOL! :)

Cliff is awesome for putting up with all the negativity and complaints (and us :)), yet staying passionate about what he is doing.

Agreed.....but some complaints are justified. He wouldn't be the great company leader he is if he just told the minority to "get over it...this is how it is" while always listening to the masses that may be content. Granted, sometimes you have to do that...but as a boss/leader myself, I'm always listening and I'm always learning what I can do to try to keep everyone as happy as possible. That's what owning a business is all about. You know the difference between the whiners that feel the need to speak for the sake of a voice vs. the people that know how to deliver a message in a professional manner that just *MAY* make the people reading, totally understand.

So though I understand where you are coming from, I guess we'll have to respectfully agree to disagree. :) I hope that any updates we get for our Axe's continue to be easy and painless for you and that you're never in some of the situations I've been in with mine. In that same breath, I also hope they are that way for me too! Hahaha! *fist bump*

I installed new update. No issues for me. I did not have to adjust any settings and to me everything sounds great. I look forward to the new updates and improvements to a unit that's already great.
Thanks

" "Then don't update" comes out, yet there are new things that are welcomed and needed in the update that I can't use. See my point? Playing a series of shows....new update comes along that alters my tone pretty drastic, yet the update fixes other things as well as gives me faster patch changes and better cpu use. I'm screwed if I want to keep my tone. LOL! "

I get your point and would like to suggest you an intermediate solution for this: hook up a second Axe unit that you mantain its firmware up to date and the first one, the one that you made your tone, you never update, so you´ll:

a) up to date to new firmware effects;
b) at least double cpu room, because each unit will run less blocks (although you´ll have new firmware efficiency benefits in just one Axe unit);
c) you´ll keep your tone!!

I do too man, please don't take any of my posts the wrong way. :)

It depends who you are, how you use your AXE and what the conditions may be. I don't know about you, but I own a business, play shows all the time that rely heavily on my axe and am recording an album that will be released worldwide with two reputable labels. (not bragging, just enforcing my point, honest) If I tweak a tone for over a week or more, it's a HUGE inconvenience for me. I feel that should be accepted and respected by anyone and everyone whether they be in my position or not. That's just human compassion and consideration for another Axe brother.

"Then don't update" comes out, yet there are new things that are welcomed and needed in the update that I can't use. See my point? Playing a series of shows....new update comes along that alters my tone pretty drastic, yet the update fixes other things as well as gives me faster patch changes and better cpu use. I'm screwed if I want to keep my tone. LOL!

You also have to remember, just because something may be easier for a select few doesn't mean it's that way for others, ya know what I mean? There are quite a few bedroom guitar wizards on this site that aren't as concerned with pin-point accuracy tones nor do they rely on certain sounds live or in the studio because they may not be faced with clients, deadlines or just in search of a specific sound due to releasing an album on a legit label like myself. If you're ever in that position, you'll understand. If you ARE in that position, you are gifted...and I mean that respectfully, not sarcastically. ;) When something ain't right with my axe, I know about it and at times it's been a ferocious up-hill battle. There may only be 10 of us on this site that share my view...but we do exist. LOL! :)

Agreed.....but some complaints are justified. He wouldn't be the great company leader he is if he just told the minority to "get over it...this is how it is" while always listening to the masses that may be content. Granted, sometimes you have to do that...but as a boss/leader myself, I'm always listening and I'm always learning what I can do to try to keep everyone as happy as possible. That's what owning a business is all about. You know the difference between the whiners that feel the need to speak for the sake of a voice vs. the people that know how to deliver a message in a professional manner that just *MAY* make the people reading, totally understand.

So though I understand where you are coming from, I guess we'll have to respectfully agree to disagree. :) I hope that any updates we get for our Axe's continue to be easy and painless for you and that you're never in some of the situations I've been in with mine. In that same breath, I also hope they are that way for me too! Hahaha! *fist bump*

Hi Danny,

very interessting points you are talking about...........I think there´s only only one solution if you want to keep your sound and try ney updates - you need a second axe.....:)
I´m also playing live a lot of gigs and it´s hard for the band if the guitar player always comes around with new sounds, new volume levels in the in In-Ear.......we all just want to play, but there are always a lot of new Toys in these updates, which we want to have.....

Good stuff RecifeShark...that's sort of what I've been doing for the time being. Had my live rig Axe on 16.xx for the longest time and always fully updated my XL+. It's still tough though because one is for the studio, the other Axe for the live gigs. The additional updates offer totally cool additions that benefit both units. Whatever the case, I'm honestly not complaining. Just enjoying the discussion and happy at this particular time that the new update is complete sickness and didn't make me re-tweak for days/months.

Hubi: Yeah, that was one of the reasons I got the XL+ as well. If I have to stay at whatever the final FW is after we leave this beta cycle, I'll be pleased not to update unless Cliff comes up with something mind-blowing or something that may enhance the unit even further. It's just that after being a tweaker for so long, at 48 years old....I'd rather buy my girlfriend expensive presents than tweak my tone. LOL!

Thanks for the ideas and conversation, guys. :)

Picked up Jem7VWH yesterday [Mo' Joe (bridge) and PAF Joe (neck) removed], Evo2 and Evo neck installed.
Didn't update till the 3rd beta came out.

Cliff, this is is an absolutely superb update.
When the strings are struck [I ended up [ab]using Cali Leggy last night], there really is a lovely 'bouncy' feel.
I'm not sure if it's my imagination or technique, but it even seems as if some 'ice-pick' is missing.
Anyway something's 'missing,' now frequency-wise that I didn't like.

For all you guys that are into the 'unexpected amps' thing and have an Evo-loaded Jem.
Try preset 068 [you know, the Suhr Badger one].
Put the drive down to when it cleans up, 'bout 3 or 4.
Change the chorus if you want.
Select p.u. position 4 on the Jem. Lovely sound!

Back
Top Bottom