Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 1.00 Public Beta

Also, if there is not enough latency it won't sustain well either. Even tube amps have latency, which is why you can get different feedback frequencies from standing in different parts of a room with a tube amp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think you understand how this works.

The reason the sustain is longer has nothing to do with the way it sounds, it has to do with sympathetic vibrations in the air. If the sound coming from the monitor has latency it will vibrate less, higher latency can actually kill the vibrations.

Hmmm maybe... but I still don't understand how it proves that there is less latency, and still totally out of my original point which was really about... latency :) .. the time between the picking and the first sound heard......

And hey, no need to be condescending..... we're all friends...

Have a good day all, just wanted to give my opinion which is : It sound amazing but I feel like there is more latency.
Fankyaw

Hmmm maybe... but I still don't understand how it proves that there is less latency, and still totally out of my original point which was really about... latency :) .. the time between the picking and the first sound heard......

Have a good day all, just wanted to give my opinion which is : It sound amazing but I feel like there is more latency.
Fankyaw

I really wasn't trying to being condescending, that's why I said "I think."

I'm just worried you may have a glitch somewhere, like maybe your update didn't go right, or something.

Well, I reloaded the firmware and the flubbiness is much better. I guess it must've not installed correctly. The Mark IV sounds really juicy, still not quite immediate enough for me like the IIC+ sim though.

And funnily enough, I booted up my Mark V for a comparison and it sounds like one of my preamp tubes has gone microphonic since I played it last night. :lol:

Oh, tube amps. Gotta love the Axe FX.

Fankyaw

Just wanted to validate your experience and say that I feel the same thing happening with my rig as well. Some people get a more "immediate" feel, and guys like us have a little more latency. I've loaded Quantum twice and have had similar results both times, so until I can commit more time to tracking down the issue, I've had to roll back to 19. The reviews of how Quantum sounds has been really positive though, so I'm hoping I can sort out this issue for my rig. I've got FW envy. :)

Just out of curiosity, which specific amp models are you using, and are you experiencing latency with some models more than others?

Just wanted to validate your experience and say that I feel the same thing happening with my rig as well. Some people get a more "immediate" feel, and guys like us have a little more latency. I've loaded Quantum twice and have had similar results both times, so until I can commit more time to tracking down the issue, I've had to roll back to 19. The reviews of how Quantum sounds has been really positive though, so I'm hoping I can sort out this issue for my rig. I've got FW envy. :)

Just out of curiosity, which specific amp models are you using, and are you experiencing latency with some models more than others?
Cheers man.
No amp in particular. I just swept through lots of presets and it was a general feeling. Felt more clearly when on higher gain i would pick real fast while muting, I kinda get lost in the notes because of the latency. I'm sure I didn't have that feeling before.
I must admit I am the kinda of guy who, every studio I go to, would ask the engineer to take down latency for me to play cuz it bothers me. But it never really bothered me on AxeFx before this FW.
I might try to reinstall, and if not.. I might also go back to 19.

.ust out of curiosity, which specific amp models are you using, and are you experiencing latency with some models more than others?

That's a really good question. Also, are ya'll using different, or same monitoring methods? Phil said he's using the front headphone jack.

I don't use my front headphone jack because my setup is left side guitar, right side bass, so it's not very useful.

Hey!!! About that Mark IV:

The issue I was having was simply a master volume issue. Other than that ALL KNOBS ARE IDENTICALLY IN THE SAME POSITIONS in the amp sim and the real amp. That is impressive that the Axe-Fx can do that. Oh and please guess where it's the Mark IV and where it's USA Lead. It's not 100% but neither would two different Boogie heads.

EDIT: Also this is quite a nice promo for how clean my IR captures are also. That's a miked real Mark IV vs Axe-Fx with my IR capture of that mic up. Essentially what my Alloy IRs have always been. :)

I did not measure anything but I personally have noticed no change in latency.
Probably because the latency of the Axe FX is so ridiculously low that my speakers probably feel like they are 3 feet away instead of 2 1/2!
Are you guys going through some other interface to listen?
The only time I have heard latency is when going through my daw so monitor.
And I definitely feel a more immediate response with Quantum than 19. And I LOVE 19. I just LOVE Q1 even more - mainly for its dynamics which hits your right in the forehead!

I've been playing Quantum betas extensively, and I'm certain there is no additional latency, compared to previous versions.

I also have Zoom 5 in-the-room recordings, where I hear the "dry" string attack as well as the sound from the Axe-Fx, and it's simultaneous.

The issue I was having was simply a master volume issue. Other than that ALL KNOBS ARE IDENTICALLY IN THE SAME POSITIONS in the amp sim and the real amp. That is impressive that the Axe-Fx can do that. Oh and please guess where it's the Mark IV and where it's USA Lead. It's not 100% but neither would two different Boogie heads.

EDIT: Also this is quite a nice promo for how clean my IR captures are also. That's a miked real Mark IV vs Axe-Fx with my IR capture of that mic up. Essentially what my Alloy IRs have always been. :)

Impressive. I hear no differences.

That's a really good question. Also, are ya'll using different, or same monitoring methods? Phil said he's using the front headphone jack.

I don't use my front headphone jack because my setup is left side guitar, right side bass, so it's not very useful.

I normally monitor through headphones (BeyerDynamic DT 770 Pro) though my Apogee Ensemble for recording, but I also use the front Axe headphone input from time to time. In this case, I was recording a comparison clip to hear the differences between 19 and Q1b, when it came time to record the Q1b portion, I had a hard time locking in with the click and couldn't figure it out. I set my playback engine to 64 samples, and still had a strange lag between what I was picking and what I was hearing. So I plugged into the front headphone jack to make sure nothing else was inhibiting me from a pure signal and I still had the same results.

Then I rolled back to 19 and the issue went away. Like Cliff said, the latency is way less than competing products. I'm not trying to make a stink. I just found it interesting that another user was experiencing the same thing I am.

The main models I tested it with were the Atomica High, HBE, and Double Verb.

My guess is Mark IV 0:00-0:20 and Axe FX 0:20-End

I've been working extensively with the beta Quantum firmware and there is no latency of any note whatsoever IMHO. I've been using Fractal gear since 2007; I'm sensitive to it and understand the terminology and the application of how/why latency works. Any perceived latency is not objectively true. If your perception is different, that's fine but the claim that this firmware has introduced some latency... no. No it has not. Strongly IMHO, but it is what it is. No latency has been introduced.

You're probably confusing the transient dynamic behavior with latency. Latency is unchanged from previous firmware and transient dynamic behavior is extremely accurate now.

That's great news if I'm just misunderstanding what I'm experiencing. Are there any parameters in Q1b I can adjust to make the transient dynamic behavior more similar to 19?

Back
Top Bottom