Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 1.00 Public Beta

This firmware is seriously good.

I'd always been able to copy the tone of my old AC30 mic'd up, but there was always something subtle that wasn't there. You wouldn't pick it in the mix, it was a feel/interaction thing. I sort of describe it as the difference between plugging into a good amp and a boutique amp; only the player would know.

This FW now feels exactly like I'm plugging into the boutique amp.

Love the quantum ac30tb sound. An amazing algorithm stuff with a real amp approach. Thanks Cliff and Fas.
You know i love to know that's friday day today :)

I wonder why there are failed updates thought axebot is simple and efficient and no error message shown.

Continued my quantum discovery and still loving it's dynamic

Exactly. The attack comes first as things compress. Then the supply bounces due to a much slower time constant. Compression time constants are in the neighborhood of a few ms, B+ time constants are typically 10-20 ms. You can adjust these on the Advanced page. Many amp designers like a "fast" power supply but if you lower the B+ time constant too much you get ghost notes.

I would love a little tutorial with the sonic and feel effects and interdependencies for the most important parameters in the AMP block, as it is by far the most important one.

Thank you so much for Quantum, it is just fantastic.

The final release should be called Quantum - "More Real-er Edition".

Jk but I'm seriously having so much fun with this new firmware. Something about it and the way it responds to my playing just feels so fluid and makes me want to play more.

I wonder why there are failed updates thought axebot is simple and efficient and no error message shown.

Continued my quantum discovery and still loving it's dynamic

Probably corrupted downloads! It's recommended to close all running apps when downloading file such as the firmware, and do them one at a time!

Finally had the chance to install Quantum 1.0 beta... hadn't gone to the jam room in almost two months. Reset the amp to defaults and I fell in love with 5153 50W BLUE and the EURO UBER with low cut and some added highs. Cliff outdid himself again!

I never download a beta and I'm usually slow with updating. I went from 18.10 to Quantum and although it's subtle it certainly is about the feel. Had a full on rehearsal last night and it truly felt comfortable. I hadn't realized that was missing. I had been compensating by playing harder. It felt really nice to not have to work at it so hard

More real is certainly a good way to describe it. I'm guessing Cliff will be mining his latest epiphany for the next few FW updates. I've been using mostly the Matchbox D30, Atomica Low, PVH60II, Comet Concourse ant the Euro Red and they all benefit from Quantum. Just love all the things this box does. Cliff is clearly a forward thing man. Glad to be onboard.

Pick attack and bounce are aligned slightly different in quantum (more authentic tube like?) which I think improves the feel rather than add a latency feel.
Yes. The amplitude envelope is different. I did a thread focused only on dynamics. Heading there now to post another observation.
Here it is -- If you used to use preamp drive and saturation in the preamp in the cab block, trying turning that off now.
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/103757-quantum-dynamics-post-your-thoughts.html

Last edited:
Bofore I got the Axe I used a Matchless. Primarely with the "AC-30" like EF86 channel.
Later switched the standard EF86 to a Telefunken EF-806s.

I feel the same positive changes from 19 to Quantum. Clearer, more dynamic and "fluent" in a kind of way. And with a broader spectrum when dialing in with respect to my own ears.

Hey!!! About that Mark IV:

The issue I was having was simply a master volume issue. Other than that ALL KNOBS ARE IDENTICALLY IN THE SAME POSITIONS in the amp sim and the real amp. That is impressive that the Axe-Fx can do that. Oh and please guess where it's the Mark IV and where it's USA Lead. It's not 100% but neither would two different Boogie heads.

EDIT: Also this is quite a nice promo for how clean my IR captures are also. That's a miked real Mark IV vs Axe-Fx with my IR capture of that mic up. Essentially what my Alloy IRs have always been. :)

The low end resonance on the palm mutes seems a lot more pronounced in the first part of the clip (which I'm guessing is the miked Mark IV?) - is it something that can be achieved by tuning the speaker page parameters or does it have to do with the time constants?

The low end resonance on the palm mutes seems a lot more pronounced in the first part of the clip (which I'm guessing is the miked Mark IV?) - is it something that can be achieved by tuning the speaker page parameters or does it have to do with the time constants?

Those palm mutes have all to do with setting the master level correctly and playing the same way. It's actually not me playing the first clip but my band's guitarist (Irotlas on this forum) and he is a really tight player. I pick a lot harder and palm mute harder so naturally I get more of a boomy palm mute sound rather than a tight one. I really concentrated on picking with his technique in that in-the-mix video I just released. (check the post above)

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but is Quantum an extension of G3 i.e. the most accurate and best sounding amp models will be the ones built off of what Cliff has in his possession?

Yeah, I'm playing in my house and guaranteed if I was playing in a live situation I'd want those mids there. :) That is the interesting thing about tones and how the feel changes when playing louder.

+1 (exactly the result at my last gig)! Used 3 different guitars and all were heavenly sounding!

I'm officially retracting my "latency issue" mentioned before.

I trashed the old file, downloaded Quantum again, loaded it into my Axe and it sounds great and feels right again. Whatever I was dealing with was user error, so sorry about the false alarm guys.

It sure would be nice to figure out what causes these occasional "corrupted installs".

One of these days Cliff should add a "diagnostics capture" function to FractalBot, in which it not only captures a full backup of all settings & presets for analysis, but also stashes a report of any system information it can, storing "before and after" reports containing information that might help isolate what went wrong (active connections, other running apps, etc.).

Back
Top Bottom