Axe-Fx II Firmware 16.02 Released

To get started and get a picture, ehh, sound, try these:
Ducker Att: 22
Ducker Threshold: -68
Ducker Release: 220

With these settings, it should be pretty obvious that you don't hear much reverb when playing fast chords, until you stop playing.

The ATTEN parameter determines how much reverb you hear while playing.

THRESHOLD determines when the Reverb starts ducking (attenuating). Close to 0 you will hear Reverb all the time, while at -100 you won't hear it at all.

RELEASE TIME: determines how long it takes for the Reverb to get back to its regular level (increase) when not playing. At the example setting (220) is operates like a kind of PRE-DELAY, adding a gap between the last note and the reverb increase.

Thanks Yek.

damn. I have had my XL 2 and a bit months and there have been like 7 FW updates already . Fractal dont mess around

I was wondering about the factory prestes. do these get updated with the FW ?

Holy crap, that's a serious list of changes there. I can't imagine how much work went into developing all the dynamic and noise gating; those are completely new ways of doing things the way that it reads. It's like a couple of breakthroughs on their own.

But the variac is the one that has me all giddy. Can't wait to give that a whirl; it's been on my wishlist for quite a long time. The ducking on the reverb is most welcome as well. Anything and everything that is AC30 based is always a highlight for me too.

Total frickin' win all the way around. :encouragement:

I went home at lunch and got lost in a Twin Reverb. Man does it sound killer. I wanted to call in sick for the afternoon...

This is an amazing update! They Dynamics control in the amp block is worth it all for me. Been using the Matchless DC30 for a while now and I cranked this control up to 8. WOW!!! So, so, so good. It's like a compressor was on all the time before and can now be removed/dialed back. Aggressive playing sounds aggressive now. Like it'll rip your face off! Well done Fractal, well done.

-Rob

You know, I rarely mention anything after firmware updates because many times I feel like they get blown out of proportion when I barely hear a difference.....

But something about 16.01->16.02 really made a difference in my presents. I have the simplest presets in the world. Most of the time amp to output. Plugged into a SS power amp and cab. High gain, 7 string. I haven't even played with the new toys much, but just the overall tone is much better. I dont know what it is. It is like it is more crisp and clear, but yet I hear no fizzy-fuzzies in the upper mids/treble like you hear a lot in a lot of high gain sounds. Clear, but not sterile. This is amazing to me, because I know I was just sitting here 3-4 days ago dialing in sounds becoming aggravated. It just keeps getting better :)

You know, I rarely mention anything after firmware updates because many times I feel like they get blown out of proportion when I barely hear a difference.....

But something about 16.01->16.02 really made a difference in my presents. I have the simplest presets in the world. Most of the time amp to output. Plugged into a SS power amp and cab. High gain, 7 string. I haven't even played with the new toys much, but just the overall tone is much better. I dont know what it is. It is like it is more crisp and clear, but yet I hear no fizzy-fuzzies in the upper mids/treble like you hear a lot in a lot of high gain sounds. Clear, but not sterile. This is amazing to me, because I know I was just sitting here 3-4 days ago dialing in sounds becoming aggravated. It just keeps getting better :)

It's the transformer stuff. I'm surprised more people haven't commented as it was very noticeable to me. The high end is clear and bell-like but without the fizzies. You can turn the Presence all the way up (like you would on a dimed Plexi) and it doesn't get harsh.

It's the transformer stuff. I'm surprised more people haven't commented as it was very noticeable to me. The high end is clear and bell-like but without the fizzies. You can turn the Presence all the way up (like you would on a dimed Plexi) and it doesn't get harsh.

I think more people will start playing with the new options once Axe Edit is updated.

Loopie

So, I'm probably wrong, but doesn't the variac over-power, or under-power (depending on settings) the virtual amp? (Like Van Halen!)

If so, then I've gone my whole life not knowing that I prefer the sound of an under-powered medium gain amp! O_O

So far, I've found it does something I really like, dialed back between 10 and 20% from 100, on my medium gain tones (or rather what I would call medium gain.) However, I seem to prefer my heavy stuff a bit over powered (at about 120%.) Kinda tighter, and punchier, especially with the new gate. And my cleans are staying pretty happy at around 100%.

Sound fantastic. Sparkolicious!

I noticed the wider useful range of the Presence knob right away. I think the improvements in transformer modeling were overshadowed by the new controls that make dramatic changes in the tone that you can A/B right away.

So, I'm probably wrong, but doesn't the variac over-power, or under-power (depending on settings) the virtual amp? (Like Van Halen!)

If so, then I've gone my whole life not knowing that I prefer the sound of an under-powered medium gain amp! O_O

So far, I've found it does something I really like, dialed back between 10 and 20% from 100, on my medium gain tones (or rather what I would call medium gain.) However, I seem to prefer my heavy stuff a bit over powered (at about 120%.) Kinda tighter, and punchier, especially with the new gate. And my cleans are staying pretty happy at around 100%.

Yes, I think it sounds great on a medium gain plexi at about 75%

Back
Top Bottom