Axe-Fx II Firmware 16.02 Released

The reverb ducking..was a long date silent wish; thanks a lot FA.
Looking forward to check on the variac stuff & all the rest. Great

Ok, I would like to use the Ducker in the reverb, can someone explain to me the process of getting it to work? I should probably know this and I don't mind asking, because I'm old enough to realize, that I don't know everything.

Go to the ADV tab in the REV block, scroll down, and you'll see three parameters: DUCKER ATTEN, DUCKER THRSHLD and DUCKER REL TIME. The parameters adjust...

DUCKER ATTEN - how much ducking to apply to the reverb when ducking kicks in. If you're running the reverb 100% wet in parallel and have the level set to 0 dB and this settings set to 30 dB then, when the ducker kicks in, the reverb level should effectively end up at -30 dB.

DUCKER THRSHLD - the point at which ducking occurs. It's like the noise gate threshold, this is where it kicks in. But unlike the noise gate, usually you want to set it to start when your signal is at a medium level. This ducks when you start to play louder, and un-ducks as your signal dies off to a medium level, not a super-quiet level.

DUCKER REL TIME - the amount of time it takes for the attenuation to dissipate once ducking is turned off. Set this to a short time to have the reverb "pop" back in, set it to a longer time to have the reverb "fade" back in as your playing volume dies off.

This a very impressive release for a point release. WTG Fractal. Variac is a personal wish list item. So stoked to dig in with it.

There's a "bug" with the Intelligent Gate.
If you switch the effect to Intelligent and your input gate is a global block, it doesn't change it in all the linked input gate. You gotta change it manually in all your linked global blocks.

To get started and get a picture, ehh, sound, try these:
Ducker Att: 22
Ducker Threshold: -68
Ducker Release: 220

With these settings, it should be pretty obvious that you don't hear much reverb when playing fast chords, until you stop playing.

The ATTEN parameter determines how much reverb you hear while playing.

THRESHOLD determines when the Reverb starts ducking (attenuating). Close to 0 you will hear Reverb all the time, while at -100 you won't hear it at all.

RELEASE TIME: determines how long it takes for the Reverb to get back to its regular level (increase) when not playing. At the example setting (220) is operates like a kind of PRE-DELAY, adding a gap between the last note and the reverb increase.

Thanks, Alex. I didn't have a clue where to start but those settings sound awesome on some cleanish tones!

It's the transformer stuff. I'm surprised more people haven't commented as it was very noticeable to me. The high end is clear and bell-like but without the fizzies. You can turn the Presence all the way up (like you would on a dimed Plexi) and it doesn't get harsh.

Plexi has come up an awful lot in this thread. Can't wait to take v16.02 for a spin. I've been living in 'Plexi Land' since v16 hit the street. Anxious to hear the update. But.....I'm on the road for a week without the magic box.

BTW Fractal Boys, I've found the v16 firmware the best yet for ease and speed at dialing in new tones. Coupled with the tips Cooper put together recently with his video tutorials, I'm finally feeling fairly competent and taming this beast. Thanks Fractal. :)

So is the Van Halen thing turning variac up or down?
I've read both.
Anyone know the real deal?
Eddie originally said that he used it to turn up the voltage to his amp to make the tubes run hotter. More recently he said that was untrue. He just said it because Dave told him to make stuff up to be more interesting in interviews. He now says he actually used it to turn the voltage down so he could crank the amp all the way up and use the Variac as a sort of master volume control.

Eddie originally said that he used it to turn up the voltage to his amp to make the tubes run hotter. More recently he said that was untrue. He just said it because Dave told him to make stuff up to be more interesting in interviews. He now says he actually used it to turn the voltage down so he could crank the amp all the way up and use the Variac as a sort of master volume control.

Thats what I saw too.
I wonder what the real deal is.

As I yesterday was looking at the update bar on the front panel my friend called me and was in distressed. He needed a guitarist for a short gig..

I said but... but...
He said, no but´s get your shite and come down

Oh well, well

At the local bar they had upgraded their sound system. Pretty impressive JBL stuff and X32 board. Handed the sound guy my two XLRs. He said, oh but I am all out of DI-boxes.
I said, never mind just any two XLR jacks will do. He said okidokie
I said keep everything flat and dry and no Karaokie reverb (chinese do love their Karaokie reverbs) He said okidokie

After some EQ tweaking it sounded darn good. Played old rock some Hendrix. After us a touring pro jazzband did a few songs. Dialed in a Super verb with a touch of boost and verb for their guitarist. He loved it.

I haven't played live since FW 9 or 10 but this is out of the park. I feel sorry for FW16.02 that it didnt get to be Sweet little FW17 (which I feel would be more appropriate)

Enough rambling...

Thanks FAS!

Back in 1978 EVH said he'd crank the Variac to 140v and watch the tubes turn blue then eventually melt, he had to keep fans on them (repeating what was already said that he admitted he reduced the voltage) to around 90v. I remember when I would turn off my tube amp and the volume would slowly fade out - there was an interesting brief moment of more saturation. Enough typing I need to experiment with this!

When you load a new firmware, your old settings are still there. New settings are added at their defaults.

So if I understand correctly, you don't need to do anything to get all the new things with your old settings.

Read this for more details:

When do I have to “Update Amps Defaults” “Update Amps All Prsts” or “Reset the Amp Block”? | Katsu Kuri Media Blog

Hi Chris;

Thank you for information and help!

But the intention of my question was generally themed.
From time to time (new firmware updates), a reset of the amps is required (CC tells/told us to do it).
I'm interested in the reason for, you know?
Not yet in relation to fw 16.02.
In relation to the fw updates, where a reset (by selecting another amp type and then back to the wanted type) is required.

I have read your link;
The informations there are well-known to me.
Nevertheless thanks for it!

But I'm looking for solutions to get back all my settings after resetting an amp in a short way.
Without consideration, that the result will not be the new default amp sound of the new firmware ;-)

Sorry; I know that guitarists are a very special species of musicians ;-)))
I'm a software developer too.
So I'm interested in the logical structure of that things.

If the stored amp (block library) would almost only consist of values for (by unique names) defined parameters,
and the import process of the Axe would only read and assign them to the preset-amp-structure,
without consideration, if all possible parameters of the NEW amp structure are saved in the stored amp-file (block library),
I would get what I want.

That's it ;-)

I hope, I didn't make it too much complicated.
And I also hope, my english is good enough to be understood!?

Best regards and good night!
It's 03:43 in the morning and time to sleep ;-)

Mike

Back
Top Bottom