Axe-Fx II Firmware 16.02 Released

Ok, I would like to use the Ducker in the reverb, can someone explain to me the process of getting it to work? I should probably know this and I don't mind asking, because I'm old enough to realize, that I don't know everything.

16,02 - AE 3.1.1 Improved Noise Gate. The noise gate now features two types: “Classic” and “Intelligent”. The Classic type is unchanged from previous firmwares and is a basic downward expander. The Intelligent type features faster and more stable gating along with a proprietary noise reduction algorithm. - Whre is in AE?? is missing??? thx

This is one hell of a firmware release!! The first thing I did was playing around with the AC voltage and I think that's what everyone should do once the FW update is done. Fire up a virtual plexi style amp and lower the virtual voltage step by step :D I still can't believe that this feature finally came to fruition! Thanks Cliff!

Cliff - google that video Soldano did of his amp with the undersized transformer. Sort of running the amp permanently in variac mode. I've always wanted to try that, on an amp that I "knew" so I could appreciate the difference it makes. Can't wait to try this feature after work tonight!!!

Thanks for your hard work!

16,02 - AE 3.1.1 Improved Noise Gate. The noise gate now features two types: “Classic” and “Intelligent”. The Classic type is unchanged from previous firmwares and is a basic downward expander. The Intelligent type features faster and more stable gating along with a proprietary noise reduction algorithm. - Whre is in AE?? is missing??? thx

You need to update to the latest AE for the new parameters to appear.

1. No.
2. Only for the better.

Hi Cliff;

A short question in addition to joegold.

What does happen,
- when I store an amp in the block library (to save my parameter values) before a firmware update
- load a new firmware, that needs to reset amps (or I alternatively use after an update the "Update Amps All Presets" function, when amp resetting is not necessary)
- reset the amp in a preset (or "Update Amps All Presets" on the other hand)
- load the same and stored amp from the block library
???

Would that be a solution, to get the new software structure into my Axe and preset-amps,
AND load my old parameter settings into it?

The goal for me should be, not to make screenshots or write down all the single values.
That could save a lot of time.

Thanky you for an upcoming answer and the fantastic work on the numerous software-updates!

Best regards from germany!

Mike

You need to update to the latest AE for the new parameters to appear.

I must be dumb or something but even with the new AE and a refresh block definition I still haven't the classic / intelligent parameter.

EDIT: ok I now have the right one. I suspect the blue button on the download page was still linked to the previous release when I downloaded it. That also explains why I had random crashes !!! :pride:

It seems that the new feature in the noise gate is only on the grid-type noise gate, and not on the noise gate (well, gate/expander) block itself?

Aside from that all hail FAS :D

Hi Cliff;

A short question in addition to joegold.

What does happen,
- when I store an amp in the block library (to save my parameter values) before a firmware update
- load a new firmware, that needs to reset amps (or I alternatively use after an update the "Update Amps All Presets" function, when amp resetting is not necessary)
- reset the amp in a preset (or "Update Amps All Presets" on the other hand)
- load the same and stored amp from the block library
???

Would that be a solution, to get the new software structure into my Axe and preset-amps,
AND load my old parameter settings into it?

The goal for me should be, not to make screenshots or write down all the single values.
That could save a lot of time.

Thanky you for an upcoming answer and the fantastic work on the numerous software-updates!

Best regards from germany!

Mike

When you load a new firmware, your old settings are still there. New settings are added at their defaults.

So if I understand correctly, you don't need to do anything to get all the new things with your old settings.

Read this for more details:

http://blog.katsukurimedia.com/kkm-...update-amps-all-prsts-or-reset-the-amp-block/

This is a REAL good one. It's the hyper real 'tunable' firmware. It's like having a whole new slew of tools for your race car; all top notch pro level and easy to understand, easy to figure out to boot. This is can't miss pro-level stuff.

Check the Variac and have FUN with that beastie. I think that'll be a crowd favorite.

Pay attention to the power of the Dynamics control in the amp block; a touch of that (Positive so it's expansion) to offset the Output Compression in the amp block makes for MASSIVE tones for days; just dripping with power and authority. Check a Marshall type amp with .26 or so (about -1.5db RMS) on the Output compression with a like number on the plus side (expansion) of the Dynamics knob... Whoa. Stand back.

The intelligent gate is slamming. I truly believe this is a leap forward from what was already a state of the art noise gate on the input.

The new compression scheme in the compression block is really special. If you like a touch of compression... whoa.

Ducking the reverb is EXCELLENT. It's like realism just got on steroids.

The slope in the speaker tab can (like the low resonance frequency) *tune* in a good IR in a most incredible way - you can make one good IR sound different across a whole range of amps.

The Vox amp included is WAY sweet - the entire range of amps with low-cut in them are MORE stellar and were damn killer to start with.

Nothing in this firmware is less than excellent.

Thanks for the info Scott! Maybe the intelligent gate will help quiet down the EFI issue I'm having at my place (not caused by the Axe-FX).

Ok, I would like to use the Ducker in the reverb, can someone explain to me the process of getting it to work? I should probably know this and I don't mind asking, because I'm old enough to realize, that I don't know everything.

To get started and get a picture, ehh, sound, try these:
Ducker Att: 22
Ducker Threshold: -68
Ducker Release: 220

With these settings, it should be pretty obvious that you don't hear much reverb when playing fast chords, until you stop playing.

The ATTEN parameter determines how much reverb you hear while playing.

THRESHOLD determines when the Reverb starts ducking (attenuating). Close to 0 you will hear Reverb all the time, while at -100 you won't hear it at all.

RELEASE TIME: determines how long it takes for the Reverb to get back to its regular level (increase) when not playing. At the example setting (220) is operates like a kind of PRE-DELAY, adding a gap between the last note and the reverb increase.

I don't usually get crazy ecstatic when a new firmware comes out, because I tend not to change things in my patches that often, but this new gate is worth it. It has made it way easier to deal with patches with multiple amps, and tones in them. When I have to share a patch with high gain, and clean it seems to close much smoother on the cleans, without squishing, or deadening the tone, while still getting a full stop on my high gain tone, when it's needed.

Thank you!

P.S. Yes, I litteraly updated exclusively to try out the new gate. I found a few other nice things in this update to play with too, but nothing that really impacted my tone like the new gate. Thanks Cliff, and his team!

The Variac parameter's impact on tone and impact is subtle but I like it!

Back
Top Bottom