Yorkville FRFR speakers - Made in Canada and bulletproof - some good info

csrMark

I was speaking to a friend of mine who is a speaker designer. He has been in the business for over 20 years and has had job offers from many of the big ones over the years (BOSE, EV, JBL, etc)

I asked his opinion on the whole FRFR powered speakers out there. We talked about the Friedman, Mission, etc. He gave me some pretty amazing information.........a lot of it I had no idea what he was talking about because he got so technical. He was explaining the recreation of sound waves, etc.

One suggestion he gave me was to try YORKVILLE speakers that are Made In Canada. He said they use really good parts, been around for many many years and their warranty is amazing. All their parts are built "in house" and are VERY well built...

He suggested looking at the following models:

NX25P - 200 WATT - He says this has many of the same parts inside as a Friedman (Celestian, etc). However, he seems to think the amp section of the Yorkville is better made?
https://www.long-mcquade.com/produc...X25P_200_Watt_1x12inch_Powered_PA_Speaker.htm

NX55P
http://yorkville.com/legacy/product/nx55p/

PS12P
http://yorkville.com/loudspeakers/parasource/product/ps12p/

He suggested I rent one for a month and give it a shot. I just may try that.

Anyone else tried the YORKVILLE stuff?

Now I can tell you I have used Yorkville PA stuff in the past. It is extremely well made stuff. I know their warranty used to cover an item falling off a truck and breaking..

Attachments

• yorkville nx25p front.png
    yorkville nx25p front.png
    184.7 KB · Views: 62
  • NX25P - panel.jpg
    NX25P - panel.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 52
  • NX25P rear.jpg
    NX25P rear.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 52
I've used some Yorkville gear. Their Subs are really crushing. They make a single 18" sub that punches amazingly well.

I've tried the NX55 for PA duty and it was decent enough. I actually saw a little 10" (or 8") Coax speaker that they had a NAMM a few years ago, it looked pretty cool because you could mount multiple of them on a single tripod and aim them in different directions. Was neat, but not sure how useful it is in the field.

Overall, Yorkville speakers are great....on part with JBL and EV, and along the same price range.
(My opinion only) I would shop for these before I shopped for a Friedman (since Friedman just licensed somebody elses design anyway).
They're good speakers.

They make different lines just like most companies.. That said, I've used a Yorkville M810-2 powered mixer for my band for the past few years and it's been foolproof. I actually bought 2 and sold 1 to friends and they haven't even killed it and they kill everything. Anyway, they're mid-level and upper-level stuff is excellent from my experience. Eric

Yorkville makes some amazing equipment. I have a pair of their LS800P Powered 18" Subwoofers and a pair of their older EF508 tops plus the EP508 processor. The EF508's use B&C drivers for the low (15") and high (2") You will find that most of the top end FRFR stuff uses B&C drivers made in Italy. The tops are built like a tank at 89lbs each and they are bi-ampable. Got an AX8 for xmas and need to try it out through this system (when the grand kids leave). This system is sitting in my 15X25' Den. Overkill, but fun. BTW - B&C makes some killer coax drivers. Pricey though. Just came out with a 6 1/2" coax ($149) that looks real tempting for a small FRFR build. Parts express sells them.

Interesting, I've got an Alto TS212 which dwarves the NX25P in wattage but I'm curious how much louder the Alto actually is and if perhaps the NX has significantly better audio quality. For the price, I can hardly complain about the TS212 but it's really just a placeholder for a larger investment.

Interesting, I've got an Alto TS212 which dwarves the NX25P in wattage but I'm curious how much louder the Alto actually is and if perhaps the NX has significantly better audio quality. For the price, I can hardly complain about the TS212 but it's really just a placeholder for a larger investment.
Wattage ratings don't mean much and are usually overstated in most mid level powered speakers.
SPL ratings are 'better', but still not perfect because they don't mention what frequencies are producing that max SPL.

Best bet is to try them both. If you can't, then do all the google reading you can.

Wattage ratings don't mean much and are usually overstated in most mid level powered speakers.
SPL ratings are 'better', but still not perfect because they don't mention what frequencies are producing that max SPL.

Best bet is to try them both. If you can't, then do all the google reading you can.
I was aware of the wattage illusion, but oblivious to SPL. Thanks for the information!

And if I am to loosely trust max SPL; the difference is only 3dB.

Which ones?
I've used he LS800P's mentioned above and they're really incredible for a single 18". Punch punch punch.

I’m not sure of the model - bass player owns them. I think they’re 15s though. I just know they work great with K10s.

I’m not sure of the model - bass player owns them. I think they’re 15s though. I just know they work great with K10s.
Cool. Asking because there is a pair of 15's for sale near me on Craigslist....was thinking of grabbing them for small gigs.

Are these really on par with the Friedmans? The website lists the 12" speaker at $450. Compared to $899, that seems like a heck of a deal. I recently bought an Alto 210 for $250 at GC. I think I can return within 30days. If these things are the real deal and can be used as a backline or a loud FRFR monitor I need to jump all over this.

Cool. Asking because there is a pair of 15's for sale near me on Craigslist....was thinking of grabbing them for small gigs.

If those are the Elites (720p), I bet they're excellent. I can't buy any more PA gear, but wish I had them :) Eric

Are these really on par with the Friedmans? The website lists the 12" speaker at $450. Compared to $899, that seems like a heck of a deal. I recently bought an Alto 210 for $250 at GC. I think I can return within 30days. If these things are the real deal and can be used as a backline or a loud FRFR monitor I need to jump all over this.

Can you explain what you are talking about. The reason being is that Parts Express (website) has the B&C 12" coax at around $450 and that model is used in some high end stuff like the RCF NX12SMA. There is a YT vid where a dealer takes the RCF apart and shows all the components. That puppy is $1800.

Back
Top Bottom