Yorkville FRFR speakers - Made in Canada and bulletproof - some good info

I’ve used their stuff for years, and I’ve been using two Yorkville Elite e10P speakers with my Axe FX II for years now.

They are absolutely fantastic, and even though they’re are only 10” woofers, they have tons of bass, and they are bulletproof - they’ve been dropped, and dragged through every type of weather imaginable.

Added bonus - here in Canada, you can rent them for almost nothing - I rented two for a month for $56, and ended up buying those two exact ones.

I’d highly recommend them.

Can you explain what you are talking about. The reason being is that Parts Express (website) has the B&C 12" coax at around $450 and that model is used in some high end stuff like the RCF NX12SMA. There is a YT vid where a dealer takes the RCF apart and shows all the components. That puppy is $1800.

I meant to say that if these are as good as the Friedmans, it makes sense for me to return the Alto TS210's and order the NX25 (12" monitor). I don't know enough about PA speakers to form an educated opinion. I've read lots of reviews that say the Friedman's work well as a single guitar cab/speaker. The guys I play with only put the vocals through the small PA. I'd like to have a speaker that can get close to the real cab sound. Some umph. Don't know if the Canadian dealers will ship to the U.S. though.

So it sounds like the parts are quality. The Friedman and RCF's are made for modeling. These are PAs but may be close huh?

I meant to say that if these are as good as the Friedmans, it makes sense for me to return the Alto TS210's and order the NX25 (12" monitor). I don't know enough about PA speakers to form an educated opinion. I've read lots of reviews that say the Friedman's work well as a single guitar cab/speaker. The guys I play with only put the vocals through the small PA. I'd like to have a speaker that can get close to the real cab sound. Some umph. Don't know if the Canadian dealers will ship to the U.S. though.

So it sounds like the parts are quality. The Friedman and RCF's are made for modeling. These are PAs but may be close huh?

NX25P - Got it. That link for $450 seems to be in store only. Full Compass has them for $549 free shipping. The RCF's are made for top quality floor monitors - but folks say they sound great with Fractal products. One thing I know about good PA cabs is that the quality of the HF driver is important. The B&C 2" driver in the Yorkville EF508's is around $280 and weighs 11lbs. The mid to high range is very smooth for vocals. I cannot say exactly what is used in the NX25P, but Yorkville is quality stuff. Why don't you buy one and let us know. Just don't tell your wife.

I GOT CAUGHT LOOKING !!!:(:( I found one on Amazon for 460ish and added it to my list and got caught looking. Now I gotta go take pics of my little Blackstar 5watt and put it up on Reverb or Ebay ...... like I told her I was gonna do a few purchases ago. My '73 JMP is staying until I'm absolutely sold that the AX8 is my final solution. I've had the JMP since '91 and that's the tone I'm trying to get - at much lower volumes of course. But that's supposedly gotta go if I'm true to my word. This case of GAS is breaking me.

I was talking to a guy that uses a Helix.. he said he had the Friedman but rented a Yorkville to try it. He liked it a lot better and sold his Friedman... He said the quality of the Yorkville blew him away. It actually just feels stronger and more solid then the Friedman. He said it sounds absolutely fantastic.

Time to make a purchase

Which Yorkville (model)?

I was talking to a guy that uses a Helix.. he said he had the Friedman but rented a Yorkville to try it. He liked it a lot better and sold his Friedman... He said the quality of the Yorkville blew him away. It actually just feels stronger and more solid then the Friedman. He said it sounds absolutely fantastic.

Time to make a purchase

Time to make a purchase
The E10P I had was built like a tank.

Alright.. so I did it... the YORKVILLE NX25P... Been playing through this for about 2 weeks now... one word...

UNBELIEVABLE

I really love it.. It sounds great.. its easy to move around.. the AX8 sounds absolutely fantastic with it.. THE CONSTRUCTION is out of this world... this thing is tough...

Attachments

• AX8  w Yorkville - front.jpg
    AX8 w Yorkville - front.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 92
I have a pair of NX55Ps that are really good for PA speakers or as FAS FRFR monitors either as a single or a pair. I’ve never run out of power, never heard anything that I shouldn’t have. Now that I think about it, I take them for granted. They just do as expected with no sweat.

The E10P I had was built like a tank.

+1 to the E10P being built like a tank.
They're pretty heavy for 10" monitors but they're built really well and sound quite good. They have handy bass and treble controls on the back for quick adjustments that actually do the job.
I've used them many times in the past both as guitar monitors or vocal monitors.
They've always sounded great to me.

csrMark - Nice purchase on the NX25P's. Glad they sound good with the AX8. Yorkville makes some great speakers. My AX8 sounds great through a pair of EF508's and a LS800P sub. Below is what the inside of a EF508 looks like - all 89lbs.

yorkville-ef-508-1356354.jpg

I just picked up a pair of NX25P-2 that the local Long & McQuade was selling out of their rental department. $900 CAD after tax for the pair + extended warranty, which I figured is useful for used rental gear. I don't think I'll find a better deal on a powered FRFR system anywhere else :)

Apparently due to the way they are balanced they can only stack them two high as opposed to three for their other speakers, so they were evicting them to make room for another model.

I've been using the Yorkville NX55P's since I got my AX8 (on a recommendation from a Axe Fx ll owner). They have a huge sound (lot's of low end) and you can get them used here in Canada for around $350-$400 on sale. My band even uses the other 2 I own for FOH.

Attachments

• IMG-1669 copy1.jpg
    IMG-1669 copy1.jpg
    309 KB · Views: 23
I was aware of the wattage illusion, but oblivious to SPL. Thanks for the information!

And if I am to loosely trust max SPL; the difference is only 3dB.

I am an electrical design engineer in one of the "big ones" listed in the OP (and have been for a VERY long time). I can confirm BBN's comments. Specs for loudspeakers in general are crap, and purposely written to confuse the customer. There is no standard for specifying the performance or conditions under which they were created. As such, you cannot even use them to compare one product to another (even within the same company's products).

In a powered box, wattage means nothing. It is a marketing number that in no way translates to a louder speaker or anything else about the loudspeaker's performance. Knowing the wattage is important for setting up your transducer protections, but this is already baked into the powered speaker. And even then, the published wattage number is usually useless. Many manufacturers list the maximum AC mains power dissipated in a half cycle. In other words, a loudspeaker that is listed as "1000W" most likely has a power supply capable of dissipating 1000w for approx. 10ms before it shuts down to protect itself. The 1000w almost never corresponds to a 1000W power amplifier.

Additionally, published SPL numbers are also usually crap, especially the "peak" SPL numbers (unless otherwise noted, "SPL" ratings are typically "peak SPL" ratings). Much like the above, this "peak SPL" is typically the maximum instantaneous level that can be measured at a specific frequency, with a sine wave source, again for about 1/2 a cycle, with all protections and compressors/limiters disabled (something you can't do from outside the box). So this could be nothing more than a peak pressure level for 1ms before the power amp shuts down or gets damaged at a level you could never reach due to limiters. And this is often a clipped output. There are many other games they play with this rating.

The "continuous SPL" specs, if published, are a little better to use to compare one box to another. Understand, there is no measurement standard, so a higher number may not necessarily translate to a louder box, but it could get you in the ballpark (if they didn't play too many games in how this was measured).

Conclusion: if you want to know how one loudspeaker compares to another, the ONLY way to do it is to directly compare them yourself or to look for someone that has.

Alright.. so I did it... the YORKVILLE NX25P... Been playing through this for about 2 weeks now... one word...

UNBELIEVABLE

I really love it.. It sounds great.. its easy to move around.. the AX8 sounds absolutely fantastic with it.. THE CONSTRUCTION is out of this world... this thing is tough...

Hey there, searching through the Fractal forum about "Yorkville" FRFR speakers and found this thread. I recently just bought an Axe FX III and a Seymour Duncan Powerstage 700. Need to drive some passive speakers and I am looking at a pair of Yorkville's new NX35-2 speakers. Specs seem to say all the right things, but wondering how you are liking the Yorkville's? I know this was posted about 2 years ago but curious nonetheless. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom