York Audio Presents: The Bipolar Pack

I love that you guys are still vibing with these mixes. I’ve got a ton of new cabs I’m itching to release and I’m thinking about putting up some test files and creating a poll to see which cabs you want first. I’ve got an Orange 4x12, Orange 2x12, Zilla Fatboy, Marshall checkerboard 4x12, Park 4x12, Supro Black Magick, and a ‘64 Blackface Deluxe Reverb along with a ton of new speakers. It’s going to be an exciting time and I’m really looking forward to everyone’s feedback to see what you guys are looking for. I’m currently on the road, so my time is limited, but hopefully I’ll be able to make a little care package soon to see what you all gravitate towards. Thanks for all of the support with the Bipolar pack, and just know that more cool things are coming as soon as I get off the road and can start shooting again.

Hells yeah, can't wait!!

I love that you guys are still vibing with these mixes. I’ve got a ton of new cabs I’m itching to release and I’m thinking about putting up some test files and creating a poll to see which cabs you want first. I’ve got an Orange 4x12, Orange 2x12, Zilla Fatboy, Marshall checkerboard 4x12, Park 4x12, Supro Black Magick, and a ‘64 Blackface Deluxe Reverb along with a ton of new speakers. It’s going to be an exciting time and I’m really looking forward to everyone’s feedback to see what you guys are looking for. I’m currently on the road, so my time is limited, but hopefully I’ll be able to make a little care package soon to see what you all gravitate towards. Thanks for all of the support with the Bipolar pack, and just know that more cool things are coming as soon as I get off the road and can start shooting again.

Looking forward to your future cab packs, for sure. I can wait while you’re on the road though. I’ll be at the show in Indy on July 1! Super excited!

The D and C single shots are more or less my reference IR's for everything now. We're in for a treat when the next cab packs drop :D

Yes! In the same way I like Mix 7 or 9 + 11, I’m always mixing SM57M C+D too!

I have most of your presets saved to my Axe because they’re great. I’ll have to try them with C+D.

The D and C single shots are more or less my reference IR's for everything now. We're in for a treat when the next cab packs drop :D

Typically I hate using 57's in ANY kind of mix but Justin's are different. They're actually quite usable.

Do you use the balanced versions or the bright or dark variations?

Typically I hate using 57's in ANY kind of mix but Justin's are different. They're actually quite usable.

Do you use the balanced versions or the bright or dark variations?

I like the balanced versions. They’re perfectly balanced, as all things should be.

Just picked up this cab pack after hemming and hawing for several months. It's very impressive!

As some background, I was just not happy with any AC30 cab that I have. They are almost always too nasally or too thin (or both). Doesn't have that full lovely AC30 chime. Most of the factory cabs were kind of muffled. Just not doing it for me. So I decided to give this pack a shot and it really fixed the issue right off the bat. It's full in the lows without being harsh in the highs or nasally in the mids. Great sound in the mixes and a lot of the single mics.

The Recto didn't jive with me off the bat but I think it was due to the amp being a bit bright (Friedman 2018). Dialing back the presence helped. But using other amps like the Atomica it was more plug and play. Back in my live playing days, I didn't love V30's much due to the upper midrange spike. And most V30 (especially Mesa) impulses tend to either be too bassy or somehow scooped. These overall are on the bright side of things. So dialing the amp down just a touch can help. After I adjusted they are pretty cool. They aren't hyped in the low end like some IR's I have (which can be fun). The high end also seems nicely shaped as well as high cuts aren't necessary to make it listenable.

One thing that really stands out is that even though there are a number of different positions offered, especially in the single mic area, there aren't audible phase issues. Yet there are a variety of tones available for each mic based off different positions. It's a really well-produced pack from that standpoint. Again, many other packs I've used either have too little variance between different mics/positions, or there are really jarring changes in tonality or phase issues.

I'll be excited to see what stuff Justin does in the future. Going off his list, the Marshall Checkerboard and Fender Deluxe would be very logical options to round out the selection!

Just picked up this cab pack after hemming and hawing for several months. It's very impressive!

As some background, I was just not happy with any AC30 cab that I have. They are almost always too nasally or too thin (or both). Doesn't have that full lovely AC30 chime. Most of the factory cabs were kind of muffled. Just not doing it for me. So I decided to give this pack a shot and it really fixed the issue right off the bat. It's full in the lows without being harsh in the highs or nasally in the mids. Great sound in the mixes and a lot of the single mics.

The Recto didn't jive with me off the bat but I think it was due to the amp being a bit bright (Friedman 2018). Dialing back the presence helped. But using other amps like the Atomica it was more plug and play. Back in my live playing days, I didn't love V30's much due to the upper midrange spike. And most V30 (especially Mesa) impulses tend to either be too bassy or somehow scooped. These overall are on the bright side of things. So dialing the amp down just a touch can help. After I adjusted they are pretty cool. They aren't hyped in the low end like some IR's I have (which can be fun). The high end also seems nicely shaped as well as high cuts aren't necessary to make it listenable.

One thing that really stands out is that even though there are a number of different positions offered, especially in the single mic area, there aren't audible phase issues. Yet there are a variety of tones available for each mic based off different positions. It's a really well-produced pack from that standpoint. Again, many other packs I've used either have too little variance between different mics/positions, or there are really jarring changes in tonality or phase issues.

I'll be excited to see what stuff Justin does in the future. Going off his list, the Marshall Checkerboard and Fender Deluxe would be very logical options to round out the selection!

For me, all I had to do was high cut or low cut in cab options for this pack without messing with the amp I was using. With some, I didn't touch a thing. It's definitely one of my favorite packs due to it not having the artifacts you mentioned other packs having. Very solid and well rounded for sure.

Sincerely, thank you for the generous review. It means a lot to me to see that you are connecting with it and finding the tones you’ve been searching for. It was my first pack, and I’m still very proud of it. The Class-A 15 Mix 9 is still my go-to Vox IR, but I’m ready to start exploring the pack again. What’s your favorite AC15 mic or mix?

Also, I think you’re going to like what I’m working on now.

Sincerely, thank you for the generous review. It means a lot to me to see that you are connecting with it and finding the tones you’ve been searching for. It was my first pack, and I’m still very proud of it. The Class-A 15 Mix 9 is still my go-to Vox IR, but I’m ready to start exploring the pack again. What’s your favorite AC15 mic or mix?

Also, I think you’re going to like what I’m working on now.

Favorite mix is the #3 as it has more clarity than the others but still has some of the low end proximity thump that is so cool with open back cabs. It's a tiny bit too scooped/bright compared to the rest so I should try mixing it with say #1. I will have to try #9 too! For the Mesa I like the #12 which I think you said was a 121 57 mix.

Those are both excellent choices. I have cool plans for both of those cabs, so I think you’ll be stoked.

Thats awesome ,Zilla seems to be a rare one that everyone digs but not many do , Are you going to be releasing this new stuff
this year you think ?

Thats awesome ,Zilla seems to be a rare one that everyone digs but not many do , Are you going to be releasing this new stuff
this year you think ?
I definitely plan on releasing more this year. The way I make cab packs is very time consuming, and I’ve been hired by a few bands to make custom cabs for them, so it all depends on how fast I can create a quality product. I normally shoot a cab two or three times before I make the official shots just so I can learn the cab and hone in on the sweet spots.

All that to say, you’ll be seeing more from me in the near future.

Go ahead, you can say it. We already know... ...soon... :smiley:

Is always fascinating to hear everyone's opinion and take on cabs - I have been using Mix #7 and #63 (think that's right - the open back one) together as my go to cab setup, sounds great with my Zion/Strat style guitar.

Back
Top Bottom