Xotic AC setting

andyp13

Power User
Does anyone have any settings for the Xotic AC simulation, I'm really struggling to get the Axefx to sound like the pedal.

Hi, the settings are everything at 12 o'clock, I use a strat with EMG's humbucker and mid boost (EMG's) it drives the hell out of the Xotic and sounds great, but I can't quite get that tone in the Axefx, certainly not from the AC emulation as its basic tone is not even similer to the pedal, the pedal also has a lot more drive than the Axefx version. The Rat drive is closer to the basic sound of the AC pedal.

I don't think the AC or the RC sound right anymore after changes where made a couple of firmwares ago. Gain dropped, volume dropped, just doesn't have any push anymore. Pretty much have abandoned those two drives.

Hi, the settings are everything at 12 o'clock, I use a strat with EMG's humbucker and mid boost (EMG's) it drives the hell out of the Xotic and sounds great, but I can't quite get that tone in the Axefx, certainly not from the AC emulation as its basic tone is not even similer to the pedal, the pedal also has a lot more drive than the Axefx version. The Rat drive is closer to the basic sound of the AC pedal.

As far as drive, not here. The emulation has more drive than my pedal. Turn the level parameter up the will hit the amp harder.
Also with that mid boost, besure you are not clipping the inputs of the Axe-fx, that will completely alter the sound.

As far as the sound, drive 5 - volume 8 matches the gain of 12:00 on knobs for me.
The eq is fairly different on mine than the emulation. The top end is in the ballpark, but the low end is different. With eq knobs at 12:00 , the real thing is muddier than the emulation. I would look at sculpting the low end with a combination of tone, bass, and the sweepable mid. That ought to get it close. If you are still fighting with it, abandon your preconceptions try all the different emulated drives and see if another is of your liking. You might be surprised. If that doesn't do it, do what I do for a couple of pedals. Use the real thing.

I don't think the AC or the RC sound right anymore after changes where made a couple of firmwares ago. Gain dropped, volume dropped, just doesn't have any push anymore. Pretty much have abandoned those two drives.

That was corrected in the last couple of firmwares, I believe. I do not get the drop on the RC boost that I used to get.

But that begs the question, what firmware are you on andy?

You are certainly right about the gain, it's much weaker than the pedal, its a real shame as its my favourite pedal... Must keep trying though as I don't want to end up having to use pedals as well as the Axefx (defeats the object).
If I get somewhere near I will post it up for you guys.
Can I save the block as a file to upload? Or do I have to jot down all the settings etc

You are certainly right about the gain, it's much weaker than the pedal, its a real shame as its my favourite pedal... Must keep trying though as I don't want to end up having to use pedals as well as the Axefx (defeats the object).
If I get somewhere near I will post it up for you guys.
Can I save the block as a file to upload? Or do I have to jot down all the settings etc

What firmware are you on?

I'm on the latest firmware - just got the Axefx on Thursday. I'm still getting my head around it (using the 4CM)
Loving the quality of the fx but still not convinced about the drives (yet).
I'm also setting up the drive so that the basic controls (drive, tone, volume) are available on the quick edit, so I can quickly adjust the settings on a gig - as I need to get the volume level right between solo and rhythm. I am assuming that I can just hit 'store' button when I'm happy with the level/tone etc during a gig.

Last edited:
The biggest problem is tired ears when trying to program the sound, I thought at one point I had the AC cracked, but when I pluged the actual peda back in and switched it on it felt 'looser' and more touch sensitive, I will be very brassed of if I end up having to buy a G-lab midi switch looper as I really did not want to use any pedals if possible.
I'll keep trying though, as I can't help feeling it's in there somewhere (but not in the Xotic AC emulation).

I'm on the latest firmware - just got the Axefx on Thursday. I'm still getting my head around it (using the 4CM)
Loving the quality of the fx but still not convinced about the drives (yet).
I'm also setting up the drive so that the basic controls (drive, tone, volume) are available on the quick edit, so I can quickly adjust the settings on a gig - as I need to get the volume level right between solo and rhythm. I am assuming that I can just hit 'store' button when I'm happy with the level/tone etc during a gig.

I'm not sure which firmware it shipped with. Could you check and see if it is 16.02?
You will almost certainly want the level turned up some. The ac is true bypass, so I just keep it plugged in and a/b between the emulation and the real thing. Yes, hit store.

I just compared to our reference AC Booster and it sounds identical. Be aware that the taper of the Gain and Level pots may not be the same. Compared to our reference unit the taper of the model is different and you have to set the Gain and Level higher than the actual pedal for it to match (until you get to maximum then they're the same). With the pedal's Gain at noon I have to set the model to around 7-8. With the pedal at full the model matches at full and that's all that matters. IOW, use your ears, not your eyes.

In answer to "why don't you match the tapers?":
Manufacturers are constantly changing tapers based on component availability, tastes, trade winds, or the amount of snow last winter. We use the same taper for all models for consistency. This means there isn't a 1-to-1 correspondence to knob positions but the maximum gain and level DO match the actual pedals and this is all that matters. Also, if we were to change the tapers at this point existing presets would be affected and that would cause duress.

I'm not sure which firmware it shipped with. Could you check and see if it is 16.02?
You will almost certainly want the level turned up some. The ac is true bypass, so I just keep it plugged in and a/b between the emulation and the real thing. Yes, hit store.

Hi, yes it's 16.02.

I use the AC booster for a little extra push on my strat, especially for getting some additional snarl from higher gain amps. I think it sounds very close to my pedal, but I haven't done a direct A/B comparison. Next time I'm in the studio I'll do that.

I just compared to our reference AC Booster and it sounds identical. Be aware that the taper of the Gain and Level pots may not be the same. Compared to our reference unit the taper of the model is different and you have to set the Gain and Level higher than the actual pedal for it to match (until you get to maximum then they're the same). With the pedal's Gain at noon I have to set the model to around 7-8. With the pedal at full the model matches at full and that's all that matters. IOW, use your ears, not your eyes.

In answer to "why don't you match the tapers?":
Manufacturers are constantly changing tapers based on component availability, tastes, trade winds, or the amount of snow last winter. We use the same taper for all models for consistency. This means there isn't a 1-to-1 correspondence to knob positions but the maximum gain and level DO match the actual pedals and this is all that matters. Also, if we were to change the tapers at this point existing presets would be affected and that would cause duress.

When I have the pedal on 12 o'clock it still has more distortion than the axefx version on full. Im still trying to recreate my Xotic AC, but I think the RAT actually sounds closer, and I don't have to have the drive on full, its not too bad, but I miss the bite and AC sound.
On the Pedal I have the gain and volume at 12 o'clock, the Bass on 12 o'clock and the treble on 11 o'clock, I get a lovely fat and warm sound with a bit of bite.

When I have the pedal on 12 o'clock it still has more distortion than the axefx version on full. Im still trying to recreate my Xotic AC, but I think the RAT actually sounds closer, and I don't have to have the drive on full, its not too bad, but I miss the bite and AC sound.
On the Pedal I have the gain and volume at 12 o'clock, the Bass on 12 o'clock and the treble on 11 o'clock.

That is strange, mine is absolutely not doing that with gain.

I still prefer the real pedals...
My BB preamp sounds raw and more dynamic than the model.
With pedals in front of the Axe fx, I have more punch and a less smooth sound (which I prefer)

On the Pedal I have the gain and volume at 12 o'clock, the Bass on 12 o'clock and the treble on 11 o'clock, I get a lovely fat and warm sound with a bit of bite.

I feel the same way..the xotic AC and RC has been drastically changed since the last few FW15.xx ..
Very weak gain and low output headroom even max it up..
I also still hv the problem with the Wah block ...too much gain on its own even turn way down the level,
Almost unable to achieve a crispy clean tone through the amp block coz it's gain structure overdriven the amp block input ..
Hope Cliff could bring them back alive in the future updates..

Back
Top Bottom