Xitone Build Time

Welp, the amp went out in my Xitone wedge yesterday. No sound at all except for a loud hum.
I‘m not even going to try to repair it. I have an EV wedge on the way.

Anyone interested in a Xitone wedge with a blown amp?
If your wedge has the Dayton Audio Plate amp you can replace the amp with a new one from Dayton Audio for $349. It’s really pretty easy to do. Then at least you won’t have a boat anchor and can sell it and recoup more money from it.

I’ve been going back and forth with Dayton Audio about trying to get the one I had to replace repaired and it’s been ongoing an adventure that still isn’t resolved. I’ll tell the story when it is finished playing out.

Welp, the amp went out in my Xitone wedge yesterday. No sound at all except for a loud hum.
I‘m not even going to try to repair it. I have an EV wedge on the way.

Anyone interested in a Xitone wedge with a blown amp?

I might be interested. I plan on doing a DIY build but have a lot of house related projects to knock out 1st. In your shoes I’d look at the DIY amp build that uses the same amp as the Powerstage. But since you have the EV wedge on the way and want to sell it, send me a PM shipped to 89436 and I’ll think it over.

Wow - this explains why I haven't had any replies from my last few emails to XiTone. I'd heard they were having problems, but didn't realize the severity.

Has anyone ever tried to swap out the earlier Matrix amp equipped XiTone active wedge with the newer Dayton plate amp? I'm curious to know if that's even doable. I can already tell the screw holes are totally different based on how things look in the pic on the Dayton site. If anyone has done this I'm all ears as well.

This also explains the popularity of the EV PXM-12MP - which I also have.

Last edited:
I’ve been going back and forth with Dayton Audio about trying to get the one I had to replace repaired and it’s been ongoing an adventure that still isn’t resolved. I’ll tell the story when it is finished playing out.
Here's an update on my XiTone/Dayton Audio defective amp saga:

TL;DR

Dayton Audio and Parts Express reviewed my case and have decided favorably on my request for a repair or replacement of the Dayton Audio amp in my XiTone that developed a buzzing problem.

I had originally contacted them to see if I could get a warranty replacement. Unfortunately, they initially denied the request citing that for the warranty to be in effect the request for replacement had to come from the original purchaser, in this case XiTone. Naturally, I was disappointed but I did understand their position. I explained to them that I hadn't gotten any response from XiTone on my request for a warranty replacement. This didn't seem to have changed their minds.

So in order not to have a boat anchor XiTone sitting in my guitar room taking up space, I went ahead and spent $349 for a new Dayton Audio amp from Parts-Express. It arrived in a couple of days and I installed it into my XiTone wedge. (I live about 20 minutes from Dayton Audio and Parts-Express but I had them ship it anyway because I'm too lazy to drive down I-75)

After I installed it, the XiTone was back in action, but now I had the bad amp that while it buzzed terribly it still did work and I didn't want to just trash it. So I emailed Parts-Express/Dayton Audio asking if I could pay to have the defective amp repaired so that I would have a spare in case the new one I bought ever went belly up. Their response was pretty quick when they told me they no longer offer or perform repairs and that they can only replace defective items. I said that I understood, but that I was disappointed because it seemed wasteful to trash the amp if I couldn't get it fixed.

They surprised me by responding asking for more information about the issue. I responded with the facts as I knew them and they had several questions and asked for some proof of purchase and proof of my claim that the amp was defective to which I responded with a copy of my XiTone invoice and a video of the amp buzzing. Several more emails went back and forth over the next several weeks. I'm not sure what went on behind the scenes at Parts-Express and Dayton Audio but after that time passed I received an email from Parts-Express telling me that they were happy to inform me that they would issue an RMA and replace the amp under the warranty if I brought/or shipped it to them so that they could have one of their techs look at it and verify that the amp was defective as I said it was.

This time I got off my lazy butt and went down I-75 to Springboro to Parts-Express with the defective amp and demonstrated the issue to the counter tech. He was able to see that the amp did in fact buzz after warming up and accepted the amp for replacement. He told me that their warranty techs would have to inspect the amp before they could ship me a new one.

After their internal review of the defective amp was complete, they sent me a brand new replacement. Now I have a spare in case the new one I bought decides to die.

I must say that after all of this I'm more than satisfied with the support that I got from Parts-Express and Dayton Audio. They honored a warranty when they really weren't required to and came through for me after that even to the point of telling me what the customizations that XiTone made to the amp's crossover settings were and how to change them. This is an example of going above and beyond for someone that didn't actually purchase their product directly from them. I wish I could say the same for XiTone.

By the way, the XiTone sounds great along side my EV PXM-12MP in stereo! :p

to the point of telling me what the customizations that XiTone made to the amp's crossover settings were and how to change them.
Cool story.
Can you share the custom changes and how to modify them? I can't stand the phase artifacts on my Xitone cab.

Cool story.
Can you share the custom changes and how to modify them? I can't stand the phase artifacts on my Xitone cab.
Thanks.

I could share them but, if you have the stock amp that XiTone puts in you won't be able to apply them. This is because the stock amp doesn't have a standard USB port to which to connect a computer using Dayton Audio's Windows amp to change them. From what I can tell the stock amp has an internal non-standard connector that OEMs can use a special cable to modify the configuration. The amp I bought to replace the defective one, does have a standard USB port so I was able to apply the change.

That's one of the differences between the model of amp that Parts-Express sells and the model XiTone buys from them. Other than that I can't see any real difference between the two models. The OEM amp apparently is not for sale on Parts-Express' web site.

Thanks.

I could share them but, if you have the stock amp that XiTone puts in you won't be able to apply them. This is because the stock amp doesn't have a standard USB port to which to connect a computer using Dayton Audio's Windows amp to change them. From what I can tell the stock amp has an internal non-standard connector that OEMs can use a special cable to modify the configuration. The amp I bought to replace the defective one, does have a standard USB port so I was able to apply the change.

That's one of the differences between the model of amp that Parts-Express sells and the model XiTone buys from them. Other than that I can't see any real difference between the two models. The OEM amp apparently is not for sale on Parts-Express' web site.
Thanks. Understood.

Here's an update on my XiTone/Dayton Audio defective amp saga:

TL;DR

Dayton Audio and Parts Express reviewed my case and have decided favorably on my request for a repair or replacement of the Dayton Audio amp in my XiTone that developed a buzzing problem.

I had originally contacted them to see if I could get a warranty replacement. Unfortunately, they initially denied the request citing that for the warranty to be in effect the request for replacement had to come from the original purchaser, in this case XiTone. Naturally, I was disappointed but I did understand their position. I explained to them that I hadn't gotten any response from XiTone on my request for a warranty replacement. This didn't seem to have changed their minds.

So in order not to have a boat anchor XiTone sitting in my guitar room taking up space, I went ahead and spent $349 for a new Dayton Audio amp from Parts-Express. It arrived in a couple of days and I installed it into my XiTone wedge. (I live about 20 minutes from Dayton Audio and Parts-Express but I had them ship it anyway because I'm too lazy to drive down I-75)

After I installed it, the XiTone was back in action, but now I had the bad amp that while it buzzed terribly it still did work and I didn't want to just trash it. So I emailed Parts-Express/Dayton Audio asking if I could pay to have the defective amp repaired so that I would have a spare in case the new one I bought ever went belly up. Their response was pretty quick when they told me they no longer offer or perform repairs and that they can only replace defective items. I said that I understood, but that I was disappointed because it seemed wasteful to trash the amp if I couldn't get it fixed.

They surprised me by responding asking for more information about the issue. I responded with the facts as I knew them and they had several questions and asked for some proof of purchase and proof of my claim that the amp was defective to which I responded with a copy of my XiTone invoice and a video of the amp buzzing. Several more emails went back and forth over the next several weeks. I'm not sure what went on behind the scenes at Parts-Express and Dayton Audio but after that time passed I received an email from Parts-Express telling me that they were happy to inform me that they would issue an RMA and replace the amp under the warranty if I brought/or shipped it to them so that they could have one of their techs look at it and verify that the amp was defective as I said it was.

This time I got off my lazy butt and went down I-75 to Springboro to Parts-Express with the defective amp and demonstrated the issue to the counter tech. He was able to see that the amp did in fact buzz after warming up and accepted the amp for replacement. He told me that their warranty techs would have to inspect the amp before they could ship me a new one.

After their internal review of the defective amp was complete, they sent me a brand new replacement. Now I have a spare in case the new one I bought decides to die.

I must say that after all of this I'm more than satisfied with the support that I got from Parts-Express and Dayton Audio. They honored a warranty when they really weren't required to and came through for me after that even to the point of telling me what the customizations that XiTone made to the amp's crossover settings were and how to change them. This is an example of going above and beyond for someone that didn't actually purchase their product directly from them. I wish I could say the same for XiTone.

By the way, the XiTone sounds great along side my EV PXM-12MP in stereo! :p
Which do you like better and why? EV or Xitone?

I do not have a preference. They both sound good to me. Unfortunately my ears are not all that discerning. If I had to buy another one it would be the EV. Not because of any perceived quality difference but because I know that EV will always be there if I need service and XiTone has proven otherwise. If it wasn’t for Parts-Express and Dayton Audio I’d have a 40 Pound boat anchor on my hands now.

Last edited:
You didn't ask me, but since I have both I'll give my unsolicited opinion:

The EVs are flatter, lighter (compared to my passive Xitones) and (for me) have a better "angle" to the cab.

I really liked my Xitones and used (and recommended) them for years... But I like the EVs better.

Also, EV is a large company with excellent support. Unfortunately Xitone is mostly a one man show, and it seems Mic has not been able to hold it together in the last few years.

You didn't ask me, but since I have both I'll give my unsolicited opinion:

I too, have both. I've been gigging the EV since I bought it and I've done some side by side a/b comparisons. I think they're both excellent for any modeler rig. So far I'm still a little partial to my XiTone (active wedge). Probably because I've used it for the last 5 years, I know it better, and have come to trust it when comparing/auditioning IRs. I'm sure I'll get there with the EV very soon.

The EV is definitely more flat (I'm running it on the Monitor 2 setting) and I think that's probably what I'm still getting used to with it. The EV is much lighter - and is still in a wooden cabinet - which is another thing I'm a bit particular about. I don't know what it is, but powered FRFRs in plastic boxes really don't do it for me. I'm very partial to things that come in a wood cab. They just sound noticeably better to me. Between the excellemt sound and the fact that it's much lighter than my XiTone, it's been awesome to gig with the EV. That part has been a no brainer for me.

Still, if I had a choice between buying another XiTone or another EV, that would be a tough call for me. All the points about EV being a long established brand and everything that goes with that (service, parts, repair etc.) are well taken. I'm probably going to get one more of each at some point. The EV has loads of other useful applications for sure.

Using the two side by side, they seem to shake hands together really well and if I wanted to start playing in stereo, which has become quite tempting, now I could. I'm in the process of working up a stereo-ized set of my gigging presets for such occasions.

Anyway, there's my unsolicited 2 cents on the subject.

the stock amp doesn't have a standard USB port
This is incorrect. See the below photo, taken from the Parts Express web page for the amp.

Here's a quote from the page:

"Customizable crossover frequencies, parametric EQ's, limiter, and delay."

The stock amp lets you do everything that Xitone does.

I've had occasion to use several of these amps. I can say from hands-on experience that they all come with a USB interface.

Attachments

• 1690207243609.png
    1690207243609.png
    231.9 KB · Views: 19
This is incorrect. See the below photo, taken from the Parts Express web page for the amp.

Here's a quote from the page:

"Customizable crossover frequencies, parametric EQ's, limiter, and delay."

The stock amp lets you do everything that Xitone does.

I've had occasion to use several of these amps. I can say from hands-on experience that they all come with a USB interface.

Please don't spread misinformation. The term "stock amp" was meant to indicate the OEM amp XiTone uses not the amp Parts-Express sells on their web site. The amp in your picture is the amp that they sell to the public. It is the one that I bought to replace the defective OEM amp. It isn’t the same amp as the OEM amp that XiTone buys. You cannot buy the OEM amp from the Parts-Express web site.

The OEM amp looks like the pictures below which are of the actual amp Parts-Express gave to me as to replace the defective amp. Note the missing USB connector on the outside and the internal edge connector on the inside.

IMG_0193 (1).jpegIMG_0194 (1).jpeg

Last edited:
The term "stock amp" was meant to indicate the OEM amp XiTone uses
Thanks for clarifying. FYI, the amp I showed is the "stock amp." The one in your post is a custom, not a stock, unit. Had your wording been along the lines of "the OEM unit Xitone uses," there would have been no confusion.

Thanks for clarifying. FYI, the amp I showed is the "stock amp." The one in your post is a custom, not a stock, unit. Had your wording been along the lines of "the OEM unit Xitone uses," there would have been no confusion.
Don't split hairs. I was referring to XiTone's stock amp, which it is. It is also clear in context of the post which I was talking about.

You were wrong. Admit it and move on.

update from ealier regarding never receiving the XiTone cab i ordered: i was lucky and PayPal and my credit card company worked with me to get a refund. I guess i approached the problem early enough. In the meantime, Mick kept feeding me bullshit about is ailments and finally about his guy who does powerder coating having equipment issues. I followed up a week later. Still the same story. Oh well.

Don't split hairs. I was referring to XiTone's stock amp, which it is. It is also clear in context of the post which I was talking about.

You were wrong. Admit it and move on.
I personally want to see a dance off between you two. Jazz hands not permitted of course.

update from ealier regarding never receiving the XiTone cab i ordered: i was lucky and PayPal and my credit card company worked with me to get a refund. I guess i approached the problem early enough. In the meantime, Mick kept feeding me bullshit about is ailments and finally about his guy who does powerder coating having equipment issues. I followed up a week later. Still the same story. Oh well.
Nice job getting that refund! Last I heard from Mick was March and I have sent several emails since then with no response.

Does anyone know the specs for the fuse in the PPA800DSP?
I can see that it’s 250v but I can’t read the rest. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom