Wish Wish List: New Amps

Wizard Modern Classic

88273Qc.jpg

For my money, there is no better take on a modernized, hotrodded Marshall.

I totally second adding the wizard!

I finally dived into Fractal with the Axe Fx III. There's a few classic amps that I think are necessary:

• Mesa Boogie Mark I or SOB
  • Marshall Super Bass (60s era)
  • Orange OR-120 (early 70s)
  • Park 50

I owned an SOB and it was...

Not good :(

Another vote for:
PRS Archon
ADA MP-1
Revv Generator 120

I have a working, unmodded, first gen ADA MP-1 I'd even be willing to send to be modeled. The LCD screen is starting to fail, but other than that it is in great working (and sounding) condition with fresh tubes! (I also have an '88 Lee Jackson GP-1000, but who would want to model that?!)

PS. My first post! Woohoo!

EDIT: Forgot the Revv, d'oh. Double edit, rmvd Mk5 clean and rhy2.

Last edited:
The Mk IV is already in there. Check out USA Clean, USA Rhythm and USA Lead. ;)
I totally meant V, not 4 haha.

I prefer the clean and crunch sounds of of the 5 over the 4. The Lead channel of the MkIV is better IMO.

Last edited:
From Cliff:

Oh, by the way... welcome to the forum. :)
Thanks for the welcome.

To my ears, the MkV sounds a fair amount different than the 2 and 4 (fixed gain stage, minor eq differences, etc). But I'll take the mkV off my list haha.

To my ears, the MkV sounds a fair amount different than the 2 and 4 (fixed gain stage, minor eq differences, etc). But I'll take the mkV off my list haha.
Check out @yek 's Guide to the Fractal Audio Amp models. There's a wealth of information about how to dial in different sounds on the USA Clean, USA Lead, USA Rhythm, USA IIC+ and USA IIC++ models.

There's already so many glorious amps in the Axe, but these top my wish list

Marshall JCM2000 DSL50
ADA MP-1 (modelled with an EL34 based Marshall power amp)
Demeter TGP-3 (modelled with a VHT power amp for STP tones)
Lab Systems L5
Sansamp Bass Driver

The Archon, TC50, Revv, KSR and Fortin stuff would all be cool to try too.

Guytron GT-100 or GT-100 F/V
(Skip to 17m27s below)
You know an amp is loved when the leftover tape glue has built up so much it's now the new "tape" for marking amp settings LOL

http://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/2f4f8d_6492e2e2ca8571c597eee3ff5d00e320.pdf
http://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/2f4f8d_1b8da22f5431025864e2221b35fd8cbc.pdf
http://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/2f4f8d_4ac78ac410a7d57054c2112b52fb5fae.pdf

Jon Herington on the Guytron amp:
I now (2018) have two brand-new GT 100 FV amps. The original GT 100 I had was pretty beaten up after 13 years on the road. I really loved the original amp without the FV controls, but I do use the FV controls on my amps. I like to keep things simple, so in a way I think I would prefer the amp without the FV controls, but I do like the sound of the amp with focus set on the second position and voicing set on the fourth position. That's how I usually set it. I don't think you'll find the amp feels all that much different with the FV controls, though it does give you more flexibility and control, and it certainly does change the response of the amp. If you're anything like I am, you'll like both amps equally well. My recommendation is to listen to an FV if you get a chance, but if the price is a good one for the GT 100, I don't imagine you would ever regret making the purchase, so you might want to grab it even if you don't get to compare the amps.

It's a pretty complicated design, but it's amazingly simple to use and always sounds great, no matter what the volume. I love the channel switching, the effects loops, and the master volume. It's always been my favorite amp because it has the right combination of features, tone, and simplicity.

Guytron GT-100 or GT-100 F/V
(Skip to 17m27s below)
You know an amp is loved when the leftover tape glue has built up so much it's now the new "tape" for marking amp settings LOL

http://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/2f4f8d_6492e2e2ca8571c597eee3ff5d00e320.pdf
http://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/2f4f8d_1b8da22f5431025864e2221b35fd8cbc.pdf
http://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/2f4f8d_4ac78ac410a7d57054c2112b52fb5fae.pdf

Jon Herington on the Guytron amp:
I now (2018) have two brand-new GT 100 FV amps. The original GT 100 I had was pretty beaten up after 13 years on the road. I really loved the original amp without the FV controls, but I do use the FV controls on my amps. I like to keep things simple, so in a way I think I would prefer the amp without the FV controls, but I do like the sound of the amp with focus set on the second position and voicing set on the fourth position. That's how I usually set it. I don't think you'll find the amp feels all that much different with the FV controls, though it does give you more flexibility and control, and it certainly does change the response of the amp. If you're anything like I am, you'll like both amps equally well. My recommendation is to listen to an FV if you get a chance, but if the price is a good one for the GT 100, I don't imagine you would ever regret making the purchase, so you might want to grab it even if you don't get to compare the amps.

It's a pretty complicated design, but it's amazingly simple to use and always sounds great, no matter what the volume. I love the channel switching, the effects loops, and the master volume. It's always been my favorite amp because it has the right combination of features, tone, and simplicity.

I am currently the first owner of the latest GT 100 FV off of Graydon’s bench,only had it a few weeks now, and I have yet to hear it through a proper cabinet, I’ve been using it with my UAD OX since the 100 W Max of my FAS LB 2 may not be safe to run on the B channel of this GT 100 which I was told is close to 200W cranked.
I have been able to achieve some stellar Dumbly cleanish tones bypassing the OX cab sim and going direct
Into AXeFXIII , but I’m sure I haven’t yet come close to finding the true sweet spots, and cool as it is, it doesn’t
Detract from the awesomeness of the III...MBritt made what is IMO one of the best sounding Kemper profile packs
Of his original GT 100...and I would imagine Cliff could wring out some juicy tones if he got his hands on mine...
Which I would would be happy to facilitate if it wasn’t my understanding that amps that go into @FractalAudio ‘s lair do not get returned..or am I wrong? @Admin M@ or Cliff feel free to contact me If need be.

Dumble Steel String Singer...or Bludotone High Plains Drifter...would work great with Cliff's Rumble Cab IRs

+1 on the other Matchless DC30 EF channel not modeled...

Guytron (like Steely Dan's Jon Herrington uses) would be interesting...

The Two Rocks that are new like Custom and Bloomfield Drive .... like a Twin on steroids...

Louis Electric makes some killer amps. Sorta of a cross between a Tweed Deluxe and a JTM45. I really like the one owned by Andy Aledort.

PRS David Grissom amp is nice and is like Vox- meets-Marshall...

I also really like the Bogner ecstasy Plexi mode and the clean channel...be nice to have The complete amp.

I think we need some classic bass amps to round out the arsenal like the Ampeg 15" and a Galien-Kreuger

Have to say - I am pretty damn happy with what is in there at 263 amp models....if we never had another added amp I would not complain,

Back
Top Bottom