Why use Null Filter instead of volume block?

Beexter

Inspired
New owner here with just one week on my new AX8. Absolutely loving it.

I see many of you are using a null filter to achieve a volume boost in a preset - what's the benefit of this approach over using a volume block?

My reason is that a volume block has a Volume parameter that goes from 0 to 100%. I control that with an expression pedal.

To get a boost from a volume block, I'd have to somehow increase the Level parameter, but since the Volume block has to be on for my pedal to work, I can't simply turn it on and off for a boost.

There are multiple Filter blocks available and they can be left off when I don't want a boost, but then turned on when I do. Also options for EQ peaks or roll-offs really help.

My reason is that a volume block has a Volume parameter that goes from 0 to 100%. I control that with an expression pedal.

To get a boost from a volume block, I'd have to somehow increase the Level parameter, but since the Volume block has to be on for my pedal to work, I can't simply turn it on and off for a boost.
I'm not following your logic as there are two volume blocks on the AX8. You can have one assigned to an expression pedal and then use the other for fixed changes to volume. This leaves the filter blocks available for their intended purpose rather than as impromptu volume adjusters.

I prefer the filter block, because I often dial in a little extra low cut, maybe a bit of extra hi-cut, and then I may even chance the null setting to peak and add a very slight mid boost to really cut through.

The filter block simply has more tools, when you need to cut through the mix.

I prefer the filter block, because I often dial in a little extra low cut, maybe a bit of extra hi-cut, and then I may even chance the null setting to peak and add a very slight mid boost to really cut through.

The filter block simply has more tools, when you need to cut through the mix.

I that vein, I switched to using the GEQ block in 5-band passive mode. Just more options to sculpt the mid boost that I like for solos.

I'm not following your logic as there are two volume blocks on the AX8. You can have one assigned to an expression pedal and then use the other for fixed changes to volume. This leaves the filter blocks available for their intended purpose rather than as impromptu volume adjusters.
The only parameter in the Volume block that can increase level is the Level parameter. But every block has this exact same parameter, so you really could use any block to boost.

Since the main unique parameter is a percentage of volume most likely intended for use as a cut, it would make sense that its purpose is mostly for adjustment, rather than boost.

I don't think a Filter block as a boost is an impromptu use at all. Gain, frequencies, level - all things great for a boost.

You have an Axe-Fx or AX8. It's time to stop thinking of traditional limitations and using all that is available, which includes redefining habits or terms to get the most out of the gear.

Another common self-imposed limitation is Amp selection. Many people say things like "well I'm only a Mesa Boogie guy so I only use those models." But then they strive for a sound and can never get it, when all they need to do is try the Herbie or a Marshall that they've never played before. Bam, there's the exact tone they wanted.

This is music and audio creation. There are few things with "intended purposes."

Is the Null Type on the Filter block not intended for straight level boosts?
Well, it's called a "filter" block so presumably no, that's not what that block was intended for particularly when a perfectly good extra volume block is available. The null type is presumably intended to convert the filter block into use as a simple level adjuster but you could also use a delay with mix at 0% for the same purpose but you would never say that a delay is "intended" for use as a level adjuster. Not sure if you are intentionally being daft or you really missed my point.

You have an Axe-Fx or AX8. It's time to stop thinking of traditional limitations and using all that is available, which includes redefining habits or terms to get the most out of the gear.

This is so true. As a new owner, the capabilities of the AX8 are greater than mine! It really is an amazing bit of kit and is only limited by me. Learning to think differently to how things are done in analogue world will open up a whole host of possibilities.

Well, it's called a "filter" block so presumably no, that's not what that block was intended for particularly when a perfectly good extra volume block is available.
how would you use the volume block to boost?

many people need that 2nd vol block for another expression pedal too.

Last edited:
how would you use the volume block to boost?
The volume block's level parameter can go up to +20dB.

many people need that 2nd vol block for another expression pedal too.
Why would you ever have two expression pedals assigned to two different volume blocks? The only scenario I can imagine you'd do that is if the 2nd pedal was being used as a boost which means you'd be using the 2nd volume block as a boost instead of a filter.

Not trying to be a jerk here. Just trying to understand.

The volume block's level parameter can go up to +20dB.

Why would you ever have two expression pedals assigned to two different volume blocks? The only scenario I can imagine you'd do that is if the 2nd pedal was being used as a boost which means you'd be using the 2nd volume block as a boost instead of a filter.

Not trying to be a jerk here. Just trying to understand.
Multiple rows, different guitars, sending signal to certain effects/rows only. Lots of possibilities.

So for the boost, you'd just turn the block on and off with the level increase? That definitely works and you can do it however you want. There are many options here.

The null type is presumably intended to convert the filter block into use as a simple level adjuster but you could also use a delay with mix at 0% for the same purpose but you would never say that a delay is "intended" for use as a level adjuster. Not sure if you are intentionally being daft or you really missed my point.
No one is being daft. But while we're on the subject, what would a sane person use a null filter for, other than level control?

Filters became popular because you get 4 of them (on the XL) and they use very little CPU... case closed :)

Through trial and error, I really prefer a mid boost, vs. a null level boost. I can ride over a dense mix without having to jack the levels by just kicking in a "frowny face" eq :) sounds more musical to me too... the mid boost sounds like a produced record where the mix engineer will often mid boost a gtr solo.

Back
Top Bottom