Why use Null Filter instead of volume block?

Lets not forget the mighty PEQ for boosting with enhancements. Its easy to specifically target the frequencies being increased or attenuated. It can work in front as a drive, or between the amp and cabinet, or in a parallel chain to mangle effects. Its my first choice because of its precision and versatility.
I like to have the filters on hand for LFO and synth fun etc.

Last edited:
Through trial and error, I really prefer a mid boost, vs. a null level boost. I can ride over a dense mix without having to jack the levels by just kicking in a "frowny face" eq :) sounds more musical to me too... the mid boost sounds like a produced record where the mix engineer will often mid boost a gtr solo.
This. There's nothing like a hump in the middle to have you riding crescent-fresh over the mix.

Last edited:
72600-ryan-reynolds-confused-speechl-MXRZ.gif

Lets not forget the mighty PEQ for boosting with enhancements. Its easy to specifically target the frequencies being increased or attenuated. It can work in front as a drive, or between the amp and cabinet, or in a parallel chain to mangle effects. Its my first choice because of its precision and versatility.
I like to have the filters on hand for LFO and synth fun etc.

I've always boosted with a 5 or 10 band EQ frowny fade, but have never conquered the PEQ. Time to experiment I think.

What are the benefits of putting it between the amp and cab?

My guess is that by placing it between the amp and the cab you are avoiding driving the input of the amp block harder and changing the distortion amount/characteristics.

My guess is that by placing it between the amp and the cab you are avoiding driving the input of the amp block harder and changing the distortion amount/characteristics.

^This

You preserve the amp gain if the EQ is post.

I've tried my boost in several parts of the chain, I prefer my EQ boost post cab but before delay and reverb. I like to drive my boost into the delay and reverb to make them more pronounced when I solo.

Amp -> Cab -> GEQ Boost -> Delay -> Reverb

I like that idea. I'll have to try that. I typically put a filter block at the end of the chain. I'm going to try using a mid-boost as well.

Since the EQ and Filter blocks use so little CPU, I can see having one of each at different places in the chain for different purposes.

I like that idea. I'll have to try that. I typically put a filter block at the end of the chain. I'm going to try using a mid-boost as well.

Since the EQ and Filter blocks use so little CPU, I can see having one of each at different places in the chain for different purposes.

See what you prefer EQ wise. Through trial and error I've landed on the GEQ 5 band passive. It is very musical to my ears even with large boosts.

Yup. Keep in mind that the filter block can also do a mid boost.
Nothing really. Unless a lot of Spkr Drive is used in the cab block, there is little to no difference if an effect goes before or after the cab block.

If i remember correctly the volume block uses 1% less cpu than the filter, i do rather us the filter and i usually boost 800Hz to 1k instead of the the output level and i cut some low end to make the solos cut much better

I was in high school in the late 90s, watching MTV, so I don't know how I missed this cultural reference completely. Lol.
A wonderful show, with a few stumbles that were offset by many moments of brilliance. It shows what you can do on a kids'-backyard-carnival budget.

(1) You can shape the signal a parallel effects chain is getting differently from the main signal. (GEQ works too).

(2) I use a PEQ preset to balance between FRFR and my real cabinet: Routing Output 1 (with cab block) to FRFR. Output 2 (no cab block) to actual cabinet benefits from having a PEQ in the FXLoop chain so that the real Celestions are acceptably close to Output 1 to FRFR. GEQ isn't precise enough in this use.

But back to the main point of the benefits of PEQ as a (pre) boost: Its just so much more specific and flexible than the broad strokes of a GEQ or Volume Block. Its possible to adjust the overall gain of the signal, while increasing or reducing exactly targeted zones of tonal focus, and at the same time precisely set a narrow notch filter to attenuate an annoying squawk that jumps out at 1350k, when picking too hard on some pickups. Volume, GEQ, PEQ, Filter blocks all have several uses: but if some careful tonal sculpting is also called for: try the PEQ.

That is to say if you don't want a Drive model to boost with from the get go. I've been liking the Timmy for a little or a lot: But that's a big crayon.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom