Why some amps initially sound bad?

The only thing I don't like about scrolling through amps is how often they blow my head off, since the output level goes back to its default high setting.

Maybe I just make my patches too quiet.

The only thing I don't like about scrolling through amps is how often they blow my head off, since the output level goes back to its default high setting.

Maybe I just make my patches too quiet.
I agree.

I wish there was a way that all the amp models could be level matched to the lowest sounding volume amp model at default settings.

Some of them can really take your head off at default values if you are not careful.

In a non MV amp you have one volume control fordullume and gain. The more sensible current day amps let you bypass the master or at least have the amp act like there isn't one when turned up.
That is the point on nmv models why the master is up since it really isn't supposed to do squat.

As to the semantics of the exchange...this whole master volume conversation comes in when were talking gain sounds. We all know, or at least should know that a master pushed past the sweet spot just over compresses and muds out.
I mean do we really need 5 levels of compression? For a tone that you can get with a synth. :)
I mean fercrissake these posts about tone that can't be found are priceless...it ain't the box.
I don't know if Yek has it in the amp guide but a basic understanding on what happens in amps would help.
Lime the pre/post eq thing for starters.
Another is what happens to timbre by way if harmonics by moving tone stack location and type. Since it affects adding overtones...too dull...move it right...too bright move it left....

These constant ideas of how to make the box better is like the guys that think buying gear is gonna make 'em sound good.
I'd rather have Fractal fix that time out in the editor BS that started at 8

In a non MV amp you have one volume control fordullume and gain. The more sensible current day amps let you bypass the master or at least have the amp act like there isn't one when turned up.
That is the point on nmv models why the master is up since it really isn't supposed to do squat.

As to the semantics of the exchange...this whole master volume conversation comes in when were talking gain sounds. We all know, or at least should know that a master pushed past the sweet spot just over compresses and muds out.
Okay, I'll grant you that diming the master on RL amps that have a master isn't something you'd often do, except for situations like the one @dr bonkers pointed out. (You expect me to remember context? That was yesterday. :))

These constant ideas of how to make the box better is like the guys that think buying gear is gonna make 'em sound good.
I love those constant ideas. There's a history of some of them being folded into the product.

I totally agree with the OP. I think the issue is easy to see by reading posts like this
Cliff is obviously a genius. What he's created with the Axe Fx family is to me truly staggering and I'm grateful for having a product like the Axe Fx 2 and more recently the Ax8 to play with. But when I see posts like the quoted one I am also totally baffled at basically blaming customers for not knowing how to use the product.

Defaults are incredibly powerful and by having decent default values, the ease of use would be massively enhanced, with more happy customers as a result and less need for posts like the quoted one. And for those that argue that "not everyone will like the same thing" – that's always going to be true regardless of setting. And by having a base tone that will appeal to as many people as possible it would be a much better starting point than having everything at noon. Also, how much more useful and productive would it be if we instead argued about what the default value should be on a Fender Twin to appeal to as many people as possible rather than just throw out the old "use your ears man" and having lots of amp model be much worse than they could (should) be as a default.

Nothing is ever going to be perfect and it seems that the argument against different default values than noon really comes down to since it's not going to be perfect for everyone, its a complete waste of effort trying to make it better for many.

That's how the Austin buddy guy ( no pun intended ) makes his money , and FAS is part of it.

It's funny , I remember being frustrated a little ; trying to get my best tone , and then I finally got it. A bunch of hidden tweaks and adjustments later , I felt like I was holding hidden treasure. It was MY sound.

I actually agree with OP here - I don't see why there couldn't be a little tweaking to the default settings, especially for amps where we know that no one would use them at noon settings.

Think the Bogner amps - the first thing you do is dime everything, then tweak from there.

Think the Bogner amps - the first thing you do is dime everything, then tweak from there.

Never did that on the two Ecstasy amps that I owned ... In fact I kept everything around noon except for Presence IIRC.

Back
Top Bottom