Why I won't be using the cab block for recording any more

Does this bug also affect ultrares files created with tonematch? Or the files will be ok and read correctly with the new fw?

For recording you don't need to use the cab block in the Axe-Fx though. Record the raw amp sound and then "re-cab" it later. This way you can try different cabs. Cab-Lab is great for this.

When you say "re-cab" it are you referring to using the plugin for this purpose? I think I'm going to start doing this for tracking. Isn't the plugin only mono though? I guess I would have to track L and R on separate tracks and use 2 instances of the plugin to allow for stereo fx/cabs?

Best thread in a long time. Thanks to OP raising this topic, Thanks to Cliff, thanks to everybody that chimed in and kept posts and discussions above the belt. Makes this forum superior to basically all other web forums

thanks also for all these threads educating me

thanks thanks thanks

Thanks to Speculum Speculorum for the way he wrote things in his OP. That's the way it should be done.
(Thanks to Kevin for confirming and involving. Allways in a nice way.)

Done this way he completly avoids the shitstorm that could have come his way.
AND due to this Cliff to a look at it.. Found a flaw.... And corrected it in 27 min.... So as i've said a lot of times before: Thanks to Cliff!!

NICE THREAD!!

Thanks to Speculum Speculorum for the way he wrote things in his OP. That's the way it should be done.

AND due to this Cliff to a look at it.. Found a flaw.... And corrected it in 27 min.... So as i've said a lot of times before: Thanks to Cliff!!

NICE THREAD!!

duuude... forgot that, of course THANKS to Kevin at OwnHammer sharing his knowledge about IR and all stuff around things I dont even can grasp a millimeter of...

NICE THREAD!!

We all can learn from the OP's way of posting on issues. INstead of starting all the negative with flame stuff he got us all thinking and listening and then of course the big man was even curious. Cliff is always about improving, as we seen here and yeah man this worked out so good!!!

We all can learn from the OP's way of posting on issues. INstead of starting all the negative with flame stuff he got us all thinking and listening and then of course the big man was even curious. Cliff is always about improving, as we seen here and yeah man this worked out so good!!!

word word...

WOW!!! A lot of valuable info here! Now I just gotta figure out how to turn this thing on.... :)

ok, so the real test is if you do it again Spec, do you still hear a difference with UR's being processed properly in the axe?

Do I still hear a difference? Yes, I do. However, the difference is DRAMATICALLY smaller. Suffice to say UR sounds considerably more accurate to my ears in 18.07. For the time being I will likely continue to use an IR loader and I may even pick up a few different ones like the TSE to see if I hear a noticeable difference using the 500 ms IRs in them. Ultimately I may end up with using the cab block again as I test things a little further. Time will tell.

I am pleased to say that the SVT betas from OwnHammer are sounding particularly punchy, and friggin' growlier than before. The early betas don't have any 500 ms files so I'm using the UR-length wav files for now, but possibly soon, so I will try those as well. When I plug my bass into the B7K and go into the front of the Axe-fx II the things sound mmmm mmm mmmm... smmmmmmmooookin' boy howdy good! I could probably cook bacon on them because they're going HAM. - tee hee

I will do some more testing of it again but not today. I want to take a break and spend some time with my dearest wife and poochy - those strangers that also occupy this residence. LOL.

Within the next couple of weeks I'm going to be running a few more tests comparing various ways of doing things with the Axe-fx II. Like I said previously, I really dig using this thing and I just want people to be able to use this forum to find out all they can about different options when it comes to recording, as that's how I use the unit. When I started as a new user on this forum (I am thinking it was on FW 1 - maybe 2) I was totally new to Fractal, confused as hell - upset even - thinking I'd made a horrible mistake. Fortunately there were some very helpful users here to get me on the right path to getting where I want to be. It's still a daily process of discovery, and we're all in this together. I have a lot of respect for the tech that goes into this as it literally made my recording life possible, so I don't see reason in trash talking or acting like my perception of differences in sound is somehow superior to anybody else's. It's all just a slow and steady process of reaching toward enlightenment, so I try to keep it positive though I can get somewhat grouchy from time to time.

OK now I'm all out of pep talk phrases so I'm going to go now.

Well this is embarrassing.

I refused to believe that there could be that much difference as I've extensively tested UltraRes in the past. So I just ran some tests and, sure enough, there was a difference. Turns out UltraRes has been broke since Version 16.03. We made some code optimizations and moved some stuff between stack and heap and missed a variable.

Sooooo... Version 18.07 will coming soon.

I find this VERY interesting for the following.

Since firmware 15, I have upgraded to the newest firmware and have in each instance decided I simply preferred 15 and went back to it. I chalked it up to simply being perfectly happy with the way 15 sounded, and if it aint broke, don't fix it.

With 18, I just said that's it. I'm killing all my patches and starting from scratch. So I reworked my main sounds and am happy with them, but still have a few more to work out.

I do wonder if this played into that at all.

Regardless, all sounds good to me. Broke or not.

Best thread in a while. Reading it through was like reading Harry Potter, because I knew there was something epic about to happen. And it happened.

Thanks to all who contributed! And Cliff, I must say I really like the way you sail :encouragement:

speculum speculorum,

Does the Cab Lab Plugin suffice for an IR loader or would space designer be better for some reason?

this is why I love this product/company. Immediate admission of a minor mistake and near instant action to correct it. And wow, I thought Cab Pack 10 sounded pretty stellar as is...can't imagine how it's going to sound if the difference is that noticeable.

Thank you Cliff, and Fractal, for your never ending quest to make this thing the best it can be.

This!

According to Cliff, Cab Lab 3 uses a maximum of 170 ms files, and that length should be sufficient to get all the detail from a cab IR. According to my understanding, any file that is longer will be truncated down.

Should you wish to experiment for yourself with IRs that are longer, you will need to use an IR plugin that will load wav files that are longer. Space Designer is actually a pretty good little program. Just make sure dry is turned all the way down and make sure the wet level isn't extremely high or you could hurt your ears. Slowly pull the volume up from absolutely nothing on the wet. For example, I found myself using a "wet" level of -20. Space Designer can only load a single IR at a time though, so you can either have one mic, or you can have one mix file (using the OH IRs as an example). That's why I started using mixIR2. Because I could dink around with different mic combinations, mix files, etc. That, and it was free to me because I already had it from when I bought the "Big Box" series from RedWirez.

Back
Top Bottom