Why I won't be using the cab block for recording any more

Well then I sure hope that I can re-title this thread "Why I won't use the cab block until FW 18.07 is released" - LOL.

Big of you to admit it man. And glad I'm not insane and just hearing nonsense bullshit. :encouragement:

But in all seriousness, unless Kevin of OwnHammer hadn't harangued me into trying the longer IRs, we'd all be just derpin' around happy as could be. So I want to thank Kevin for getting me interested in this so I could bring my findings to the forum. Onward to greatness with the Axe!

Nice call dude and thanks for helping to make our Fractal world just a bit better. Kudos to Cliff for being the standup guy he is!

I have to gig tomorrow on 18.03... man what am I going to do?!?!?!? ;)

I say this with the utmost seriousness. Back up your stuff with the Bot, and upgrade. Use the reset all amps and then dial them in, OR, just open up each preset's amp block, and shift up to a different model, then back again, so your tone knobs remain the same.

In my opinion, you're better off doing the utility amp reset (because your current tone settings are based on a cab block that had the bug), but to each his own.

If it doesn't sound 300% better to you, roll back to where you were. You can upgrade, listen, and roll back, in 30-45 mins if you don't like it.

But, 18.07 is a total game changer. Totally different piece of gear now - way more awesomer.

I say this with the utmost seriousness. Back up your stuff with the Bot, and upgrade. Use the reset all amps and then dial them in, OR, just open up each preset's amp block, and shift up to a different model, then back again, so your tone knobs remain the same.

In my opinion, you're better off doing the utility amp reset (because your current tone settings are based on a cab block that had the bug), but to each his own.

If it doesn't sound 300% better to you, roll back to where you were. You can upgrade, listen, and roll back, in 30-45 mins if you don't like it.

But, 18.07 is a total game changer. Totally different piece of gear now - way more awesomer.

Good advice, and I agree with you re: 18.07, but...there is no "update all amps" any more. You have to do it per preset.

Good advice, and I agree with you re: 18.07, but...there is no "update all amps" any more. You have to do it per preset.

I mean this utility:

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20150410_130921 small.jpg
    20150410_130921 small.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 457
I have to gig tomorrow on 18.03... man what am I going to do?!?!?!? ;)

Ditto. I'm loaded in and opening a 4-week run tonight. I have some custom acoustic body IRs in UltraRes and a stereo UR cab fed by 2 amps with x/y (clean, cleaner, crunch, lead).

My default is to leave it be for fear of making things worse, but I'm tempted to update. The only comment I received from the sound engineer was that he felt he should roll off some top end.

Anyone hear a difference with piezo->acoustic "cabs" after this change?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very educational thread! Now I've leaned how ultrares IR's work.

Now I'm interested to try out the fixed ultrares, since I got on board mid way though FW16, so I guess technically I've never heard correct ultrares! Though I'm still on 18.03 right now, so I've got the 18.04/5/6 improvements aswell.

I've learned what a novice I am in understanding IRs. It's been on my list to of things to better understand, but to be honest, this makes it look a little daunting. Excited that the quality and options keep improving though, whether or not I understand the how and why!

Gotta disagree! Not worth the risk. The vast majority of the crowd won't notice a 20% improvement in tone. But they'll sure notice a 50% degradation with whacked out volume if things go poorly and you don't have time to get things back on track. 18.07 will be waiting for you for the next one.

I've learned what a novice I am in understanding IRs. It's been on my list to of things to better understand, but to be honest, this makes it look a little daunting.
Don't be daunted. When you learned how to throw a ball, you didn't do it by studying human muscular and skeletal structure. You just started throwing the ball until you found out what worked for you. IRs are the same way. Just spin 'em up and start playing. :)

Last edited:
Don't be daunted. When you learned how to throw a ball, you didn't do it by studying human muscular and skeletal structure. You just started throwing the ball until you found out what worked for you. IRs are the same way. Just spin 'em up and start playing. :)

I feel comfortable playing with them, and have mixed a couple in Cab Lab. Getting beyond that and understanding the differences between the different formats, the benefits of the different formats, how the AFX (or cab lab or other) processes the file, etc is beyond me. I also don't know how to shoot IRs. So I know the information is out there, but when I stumble onto a thread like this before really comprehending the parts and pieces, I get excited but my eyes get pretty big.

I was joking about updating... my stuff isn't even in this zip code at the moment... Will do tomorrow, hope it rocks!

Back
Top Bottom