Why don't they just make some amps?

I don't think there'd be much money in this for Fractal, just a LOT of hassle.
This is the reason here.

The Fractal modelers sound great through mass produced studio monitors or powered cabinets meant for PA use. There's already a huge selection of these things at every possible price point - not sure how Fractal turns entering this market into anything that makes it worth their time.

Same with power amps through guitar cabs. Both products are pretty much commodified at this point, and they'd be competing with companies able to manufacture similar products by the literal ship load.

the before time ... (when I used to care what shiny new things appeared at NAMM)
Right? Now when I think of NAMM, I think of lots of sweaty people crammed close together to look at new gear or hear demos. No thanks, maybe next time.

The Kemper is the greatest amp modeller for guitarists who wish to ease into the simulation experience, with a more amp-like front panel than many of its competitors, hiding a vast lot of depth behind its simple user interface. There is a rack version for people who wish to use it in a studio or ship it in a rack, as well as a head version that includes a power amp to which a speaker cab may be connected. Take, for example, this. There is the option of a floorboard for both. There will also be an all-in-one floorboard available during Summer NAMM 2019. For every band that uses the Axe-FX, there is another that uses Kempers. They're a staple of bands like Biffy Clyro's live setup, and Tesseract moved from Axe-FX to Kemper for their most recent album Sonder, employing a patch based on a custom-captured Diezel head.
Well, I'm sold.

Except…

The ONLY reason I see to have a profiler is to use its "cast in stone" profiles without turning a knob ever, which matches the quoted use.

However, that's unrealistic for the majority of people playing that I know. If it was a profile of my own amps with real tubes, that use would almost make sense, except that, depending on the guitar and the night and the room, I will turn knobs to fine-tune the sound because my guitars vary from Strats to Humbucker and Narrowfield and single-coil solid body and semi-hollow PRS, all of which react differently to the amp and speaker position and the room. Once the Kemper starts trying to interpolate new knob positions it's in alien territory, because estimating the effect of the knob change is not nearly as accurate as calculating using algorithms based on the schematic and circuitry which is exactly where the Fractal design lives, being able to bend and flex according to the parameter changes. And, most importantly, it continues to be improved and fine-tuned with each firmware update.

IF Kemper's profiles incorporated every knob position and combination of those in a profile, then they'd probably have ended the competition, but they don't, and the likelihood of them doing that is extremely small because the adjustments would have to be automated for accuracy, and profiles would be huge and profile changes would take significantly longer as the CPU tried to align itself with the new knob positions after an adjustment.

Yes, on the Fractals, if you're trying to put together a model of an amp that isn't currently modeled, such as the Tone King Imperial, it can be a challenge to replicate the circuitry, and a Kemper would make a quick and easy job of it, as long as I didn't need to turn knobs later. But, we already know that in reality the knobs will get twiddled.

Last edited:
Right? Now when I think of NAMM, I think of lots of sweaty people crammed close together to look at new gear or hear demos. No thanks, maybe next time.
After you’ve seen a dozen trade shows, you sort of lose your taste for trade shows. That’s how it worked for me, anyway.

After you’ve seen a dozen trade shows, you sort of lose your taste for trade shows. That’s how it worked for me, anyway.
Especially since new pedals and amps have pretty much lost their allure. Fractal or nothing.

Well, I'm sold.

Except…

The ONLY reason I see to have a profiler is to use its "cast in stone" profiles without turning a knob ever, which matches the quoted use.

However, that's unrealistic for the majority of people playing that I know. If it was a profile of my own amps with real tubes, that use would almost make sense, except that, depending on the guitar and the night and the room, I will turn knobs to fine-tune the sound because my guitars vary from Strats to Humbucker and Narrowfield and single-coil solid body and semi-hollow PRS, all of which react differently to the amp and speaker position and the room. Once the Kemper starts trying to interpolate new knob positions it's in alien territory, because estimating the effect of the knob change is not nearly as accurate as calculating using algorithms based on the schematic and circuitry which is exactly where the Fractal design lives, being able to bend and flex according to the parameter changes. And, most importantly, it continues to be improved and fine-tuned with each firmware update.

IF Kemper's profiles incorporated every knob position and combination of those in a profile, then they'd probably have ended the competition, but they don't, and the likelihood of them doing that is extremely small because the adjustments would have to be automated for accuracy, and profiles would be huge and profile changes would take significantly longer as the CPU tried to align itself with the new knob positions after an adjustment.

Yes, on the Fractals, if you're trying to put together a model of an amp that isn't currently modeled, such as the Tone King Imperial, it can be a challenge to replicate the circuitry, and a Kemper would make a quick and easy job of it, as long as I didn't need to turn knobs later. But, we already know that in reality the knobs will get twiddled.

It's a spam account (link in the post).

Back
Top Bottom