Why don't they just make some amps?

A 40-watt SS amp isn't for live performance. That's why you cable it out to the PA.
I can already send a feed to the PA with the FM3, FM9 or Axe-Fx III. I’d have to disconnect the combo part for live performance, so what do I gain? And now that it’s being fed to the PA, it sounds different. So we’re back to Step One.

It sounds like this combo would be used at home only. Or am I missing something?

I can already send a feed to the PA with the FM3, FM9 or Axe-Fx III. I’d have to disconnect the combo part for live performance, so what do I gain? And now that it’s being fed to the PA, it sounds different. So we’re back to Step One.

It sounds like this combo would be used at home only. Or am I missing something?
Right, but that combo would have a quality power amp and speaker onboard, so it'll sound good anywhere.

Not only that, but a patch made on that combo will sound the same on an identical combo instead of having a myriad of power amps and monitors to change it.

Let's say they offer a small 40-watt combo. If I see a video of a patch being played on the same combo and recorded with a mic and not direct, I don't think it's a stretch to expect it to sound about the same on my identical combo.
It's a big stretch, and it likely won't sound the same because your hands and guitar are not the ones in the video. This is bourne out by countless "why don't I sound like xyz's vid" threads here posted by those using Axefx and testing with the same preset on flat or identical montoring.

It's a big stretch, and it likely won't sound the same because your hands and guitar are not the ones in the video. This is bourne out by countless "why don't I sound like xyz's vid" here posted by those using Axefx and testing with flat montoring.
I've never bought into the "tone is in your fingers" argument. In fact, I strongly disagree. Your musicianship, your phrasing, your "soul" are in your fingers. Put Yngwie on any amp and he'll sound like Yngwie on that amp. Same for Eric Johnson and anyone else. Tone is the sound the guitar, amp and effects make.

I'm quite confident that any one of us, regardless of skill level, is capable of slamming an 'A' chord.

If I'm slamming it on a Jackson Soloist with Duncan JB's, and the guy in the video is slamming it on a Jackson Soloist with Duncan JB's, I see no reason why it should sound different on an identical amp using an identical patch.

It is amazing how these wishes keep spinning on and on even after the boss has clearly said no, and provided his rationale :D
It's not a "wish" or request, or at least not from me. I was just making conversation and tossing out some possibilities.

Kemper has the Kabinet which is done the Kemper way (KISS) and by all reports, with imprints; sounds fantastic. I LOVE my Stomp. But the L6 graveyard is littered with turds for this purpose. Crowning turd being the Powercab. Catalyst is probably their most successful "attempt" at a solution for this problem. He said; with zero empirical evidence to back up his "claim". Mainly because it's a regular amp using a good old fashioned guitar speaker.

:oops:

FAS could do something awesome in this arena. If they said they aren't going to; then they probably aren't going to?

I understand what you're saying, but most amp videos are pretty true to what I hear when I play that amp in real life.

A 40-watt SS amp isn't for live performance. That's why you cable it out to the PA.
For the difference in cost it would be far better to just give the power it needs to hang in a gig volume mix!

Reactions: JTI
Cliff said he uses Event Opal 8" monitors with his Axe-FX. These, or any high quality pair of reference monitors, is what you need to hear the same as him. Plus the room with decent acoustic treatment.

For the difference in cost it would be far better to just give the power it needs to hang in a gig volume mix!
I agree, and that's why I photoshopped a 4x12 half stack.

But the small, portable combo would still be a nice option, and again, it can be cabled out to the power amp or PA or your choice. Cable out to PA, use your patches that turn on cabinet emulation, and you're all set.

At home, use the patches that have cab emulation turned off when using it as a combo.

It is amazing how these wishes keep spinning on and on, even after the boss has clearly said no, and provided his rationale :D
For the record that post was regarding powered floor monitors! I remember that thread and that comment is correct! This thread is somewhat different in the fact that it would be a new product that contains the hardwear, algos and is made to function and look like a traditional amp!

But why not keep it simple?

1. I hear a patch I like.
2. I download it and plug it in.
3. It actually sounds like what I heard.

Let's say they offer a small 40-watt combo. If I see a video of a patch being played on the same combo and recorded with a mic and not direct, I don't think it's a stretch to expect it to sound about the same on my identical combo.

I still think this would sell.

If you heard a miced signal on a YT video then you have a higher chance of getting the same result using IRs because those can actually replicate how that exact speaker, miced exactly at that location with that mic, preamp etc sounds than you would if you carried that same combo into your specific room.

Right, but that combo would have a quality power amp and speaker onboard, so it'll sound good anywhere.

Not only that, but a patch made on that combo will sound the same on an identical combo instead of having a myriad of power amps and monitors to change it.
Well no, it won't sound good on stage in a band situation, as you won't be able to hear it. And keep in mind that if someone makes presets for your dedicated combo, they're basically limited to that unit. Or they'd have to make a "combo only" version and a "non-combo" version. Someone else mentioned having specific software that would work with this powered cab, which would make it even more specialized. And then there'd be firmware for the combo and firmware for the non-combo. It just sounds like an awful lot of work for little return. Of course I could be completely wrong; wouldn't be the first time...

I've never bought into the "tone is in your fingers" argument. In fact, I strongly disagree. Your musicianship, your phrasing, your "soul" are in your fingers. Put Yngwie on any amp and he'll sound like Yngwie on that amp. Same for Eric Johnson and anyone else. Tone is the sound the guitar, amp and effects make.

I'm quite confident that any one of us, regardless of skill level, is capable of slamming an 'A' chord.

If I'm slamming it on a Jackson Soloist with Duncan JB's, and the guy in the video is slamming it on a Jackson Soloist with Duncan JB's, I see no reason why it should sound different on an identical amp using an identical patch.
Would be great if you would participate in all the thread examples here and everywhere of players challenged to get the tone they heard on a video even with the same preset on the same modeller with flat or identical monitoring. I always suggest they get a DI from the person who made the vid along with the preset so they can reamp it back through their own same modeller to prove it can indeed sound exactly the same and that it's only different when played with his / her own guitar + hands (this test was actually done with LT in a thread here but few seem to have interest in it as a part of a methodology for tone chasing). Modellers reproduce in exactly the same way across instances, but players and guitars do not - no getting around it -
more so on Axefx given its superior tranparency to guitar input.

Last edited:
Why would you do that when you can run it direct to the PA already?
Of course. Now for me personally, I've never been a fan of running direct. If I like the sound of my amp, I want a mic in front of that amp.

But sure, you could run direct and have all the power that the PA provides.

Would be great if you would participate in those countless thread examples here and everywhere of players challenged to get the tone they heard on a video even with the same preset on the same modeller with flat or identical monitoring. I always suggest they get a DI from the person who made the vid along with the preset so they can reamp it back through their own same modeller to prove it can indeed sound exactly the same and that it's only different when played with his / her own guitar + hands (this test was actually done with LT in a thread here but few seem to have interest in it as a part of a methodology for tone chasing). Modellers reproduce in exactly the same way across instances, but players and guitars do not - no getting around it.
I'll bet that if I went to the studio of a YouTube demonstrator and played a riff, then went to the studio of another YouTube demonstrator and played the same riff, sure, there would be a different sound in the recorded videos.

That's the hazard of videos. They all have different recording methods, and I totally get that.

But... if I have a friend who has a killer sounding patch, and he gives me that patch, it should sound the same on an identical amp.

Let's say I play across his amp and I want that sound on my amp, if he gives me the patch, I should sound the same on my amp as I sound on his.

I'll bet that if I went to the studio of a YouTube demonstrator and played a riff, then went to the studio of another YouTube demonstrator and played the same riff, sure, there would be a different sound in the recorded videos.

That's the hazard of videos. They all have different recording methods, and I totally get that.

But... if I have a friend who has a killer sounding patch, and he gives me that patch, it should sound the same on an identical amp.

Let's say I play across his amp and I want that sound on my amp, if he gives me the patch, I should sound the same on my amp as I sound on his.
No

Back
Top Bottom