Why don't they just make some amps?

Of course. Now for me personally, I've never been a fan of running direct. If I like the sound of my amp, I want a mic in front of that amp.

But sure, you could run direct and have all the power that the PA provides.
But Fractal modelers are built to be plugged directly into a console. The amp modeling, the cab IRs, etc are all there. So you’d want to take the Fractal output, feed it into another amp and cab, and then mic that? Instead of just plugging straight into the board? You wouldn’t be hearing the direct sound of the hypothetical combo, so I’m not understanding the potential benefit.

But the dedicated software possibilities would make it different. There are plenty of other modellers and fractal didn't come up with this solution so this is a bad reason not to make a dedicated FR FR.
More of a combo of all those factors; however with modeling they have a strategic advantage of Cliff and being in the game of quality modeling early. They’ve been making continuous improvements to be ahead of the pack for years now. Power amps and speakers are pretty much a solved problem that aren’t going to get a lot of improvements. They’d just be making another amp, cabinet, and speaker with a fractal logo on it. I forgot to factor in the business expense of diving into power amp and speaker business. It’s no small expense.

But Fractal modelers are built to be plugged directly into a console. The amp modeling, the cab IRs, etc are all there. So you’d want to take the Fractal output, feed it into another amp and cab, and then mic that? Instead of just plugging straight into the board? You wouldn’t be hearing the direct sound of the hypothetical combo, so I’m not understanding the potential benefit.
The benefit I see is that it would be a ready-made solution. Take someone like me, for example. I've long admired the sounds I've heard in Fractal demos. But for me to get the benefit of those sounds, it's not just a Fractal processor I need to get; I also have to research power amps and monitors. These aren't the easiest things to try, because I would have to take my Fractal unit to a music store and try multiple combinations of power amps and monitors. And I'm sure that quite a few of the choices won't be in stock in a local music store.

My thoughts are that when the IV comes out, it will have a built in power amp, just my opinion.
Paying also for a power amp should be optional IMHO. Although it has pre and power amp models, eventually it is a preamp device and it could be more preferable if it stays that way. Separate power amp units would be cool though. Nowadays too many people work with headphones and active speakers in small spaces, so in these cases the extra power amp may be unnecessary.

Right. I get that. But I still think that mating a good onboard power amp to make a combo or head would be a good idea.
Well, looks like we’re going ‘round in circles. As has already been said, the cost would be prohibitive, you wouldn’t hear it onstage, the firmware and presets would be additional to the non-combo, and the sounds you hear in demos is the direct sound. There are already many recommendations for excellent FRFR solutions so I don’t see how this would be any different, save for the ‘Fractal’ logo on the cab.

Well, looks like we’re going ‘round in circles. As has already been said, the cost would be prohibitive, you wouldn’t hear it onstage, the firmware and presets would be additional to the non-combo, and the sounds you hear in demos is the direct sound. There are already many recommendations for excellent FRFR solutions so I don’t see how this would be any different, save for the ‘Fractal’ logo on the cab.
Not trying to be argumentative, but I still think that a head or combo would be ideal for someone like me. I currently own no Fractal gear (yet), but rather than also having to research power amps and monitors, it would be a nice solution.

It could still be cabled out to a PA or mic'ed to provide plenty of power and volume in a live situation. It can also still be recorded direct.

Pro-tip: You're in a different physical location.
Okay, I'll play.

1. I go and visit my friend who has the same combo I have, identical in every way.
2. I love a particular patch he's playing through. I ask him for it.
3. He agrees, and it's waiting in my email when I get home.
4. I plug it in.

Why would I sound any different playing this patch on my combo than the way I sounded playing it on his? Sure, my house is different than his, but aside from room acoustics, what's the difference?

Now add in the way it is currently, where he has a different power amp and monitors than me. I might have to do quite a bit of tweaking to get the same sound at home, if it can even be done.

Okay, I'll play.

1. I go and visit my friend who has the same combo I have, identical in every way.
2. I love a particular patch he's playing through. I ask him for it.
3. He agrees, and it's waiting in my email when I get home.
4. I plug it in.

Why would I sound any different playing this patch on my combo than the way I sounded playing it on his? Sure, my house is different than his, but aside from room acoustics, what's the difference?

Now add in the way it is currently, where he has a different power amp and monitors than me. I might have to do quite a bit of tweaking to get the same sound at home, if it can even be done.
I had a situation where I was prepping for a gig in another state. I had my own studio, so I could prep using stage volume. Got everything setup, went from my studio with wood floors and walls to the drummer’s garage, with cement floor and drywall. Sounded completely different.

Room acoustics make a HUGE difference. Volume levels make a huge difference. There are all sorts of things that make a difference. If you want it to sound exactly the same, use headphones and record direct.

Reactions: JTI
Just a thought... when you get a Fractal unit, there are a bazillion different combinations where they can be employed. Different power amps, monitors, methods. For that reason, everyone is basically going to sound different. I'm sure they sound radically different across a monitor system vs a small combo vs a stack vs direct recording.

So why don't they also offer preconfigured amps? Stacks, half stacks, combos, etc... They could offer a quality combo or stack in varying levels of power and sizes.

Personally, I would be all over this. A ready-made Fractal system that behaves like a traditional amp. Not only that, but when someone creates a patch for, say, the 4x12 half stack, it would sound exactly the same on an identical stack. No further tweaking or aggravation would be needed.

Imagine this in your living room:

View attachment 103943
I'd be happy if there was a power amp (something like the matrix gt1000fx) was built-in to the unit.

The modular design of the Axe FX is one of it's greatest strengths and draws. It's advertised as a preamp and effects unit, and that's exactly what you get. It's almost infinitely configurable and allows you to get many different sounds, and the fact that everyone who uses it doesn't sound like each other is a strength, not a weakness, just like people who use real amps don't all sound alike either. The amount of IO this thing has allows it to be plugged into basically anyones studio or workflow design. If what draws you to buying a piece of equipment is being able to sound exactly like someone else online using the same thing and posting videos of it, that's what things like the bogner one knob, VST plugins, or something else Glenn Fricker likes are for. If you want to craft your unique sound and grow as a production artist and musician, nothing can beat the Axe! Even something as simple as building a poweramp into the unit is more complicated than it sounds - just look at all the competing opinions for what sounds the best as a poweramp. Being able to pick the poweramp and sound YOU want is, in my opinion, better than being forced into the choice of the manufacturer and then having to pay 30% more for something you might not even use anyway.

The Kemper is the greatest amp modeller for guitarists who wish to ease into the simulation experience, with a more amp-like front panel than many of its competitors, hiding a vast lot of depth behind its simple user interface. There is a rack version for people who wish to use it in a studio or ship it in a rack, as well as a head version that includes a power amp to which a speaker cab may be connected. Take, for example, this. There is the option of a floorboard for both. There will also be an all-in-one floorboard available during Summer NAMM 2019. For every band that uses the Axe-FX, there is another that uses Kempers. They're a staple of bands like Biffy Clyro's live setup, and Tesseract moved from Axe-FX to Kemper for their most recent album Sonder, employing a patch based on a custom-captured Diezel head.
Spoken like a true bot.

The Kemper is the greatest amp modeller for guitarists who wish to ease into the simulation experience, with a more amp-like front panel than many of its competitors, hiding a vast lot of depth behind its simple user interface. There is a rack version for people who wish to use it in a studio or ship it in a rack, as well as a head version that includes a power amp to which a speaker cab may be connected. Take, for example, this. There is the option of a floorboard for both. There will also be an all-in-one floorboard available during Summer NAMM 2019. For every band that uses the Axe-FX, there is another that uses Kempers. They're a staple of bands like Biffy Clyro's live setup, and Tesseract moved from Axe-FX to Kemper for their most recent album Sonder, employing a patch based on a custom-captured Diezel head.
The Kemper is far easier to get a decent amp in the room tone but starts to get pretty synthetic when you deviate from the profile settings. Still pretty great considering how old the hardware is. If axe was easy to get a tone with amplified all this would have got away years ago. Particularly a clean tone that reacts and feels like even a cheap amp. I'm not saying you can't get it but plug in to any FRFR and you will be there for an age trying to get it to be like even a modest combo. I got there in the end but not before trying just about everything just to get a basic Fender tube combo. Kemper dose this almost by default.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom