Why don't they just make some amps?

PowerTube

Just a thought... when you get a Fractal unit, there are a bazillion different combinations where they can be employed. Different power amps, monitors, methods. For that reason, everyone is basically going to sound different. I'm sure they sound radically different across a monitor system vs a small combo vs a stack vs direct recording.

So why don't they also offer preconfigured amps? Stacks, half stacks, combos, etc... They could offer a quality combo or stack in varying levels of power and sizes.

Personally, I would be all over this. A ready-made Fractal system that behaves like a traditional amp. Not only that, but when someone creates a patch for, say, the 4x12 half stack, it would sound exactly the same on an identical stack. No further tweaking or aggravation would be needed.

Imagine this in your living room:

fractalstack.jpg

Let me also add.... it could still be used in the usual ways; recording, direct to PA, and so on. Stereo? You bet.

I too wish that there was at least a FAS built power amp, so that I didn't have to keep researching amps that might be the best sounding for the device. (Currently using FX return of Quilter + cab when not using Neumann monitors at home).

I don't know that I'd want an all-in-one unit of modeller + power amp, though. Separates are nicer in terms of upgrades, flexibility and obsolescence, no? Also, an all-in-one unit would make the unit more expensive for those that do actually only want the modeller, so that would point to separate units too in terms of price point. I'm pretty sure Eric from L6 said the same thing when he was asked about that for their modellers.

I'd like to buy a dedicated FAS power amp for the FM3 that I already own though - I'd be all in on that.

There is perhaps an issue here in that I'd want an amp that could do both FRFR and traditional Cab with a switch to change the speaker response behaviour i.e. stiffened for FRFR vs low damping for traditional speaker cab. Much like the FRFR mode switch on the Quilter TB202. I don't want to have to choose!

I'm sure that this has probably all been discussed before on this forum though. There could be plenty of good reasons for FAS not to do it... might stretch their resources too far, given that they're a small company (?).

They probably just want to focus their energies on what they do best, which is really really good modelling. Especially now, since the competition is heating up.

Last edited:
maybe I'm just a sucker but.... nothing will replace the look and vibe of a Marshall stack. Again, call me a sucker, but I want my torn up tolex with the yellowed logo up there next to me and nothin else.

Power amp though, I'd buy in a heartbeat :)

This is easier said than done. If it uses a traditional guitar speaker, it won’t be able to emulate the full range of speaker models. If it is a FRFR, it’s not quite the same as a real guitar speaker. It is a tall order for Fractal to create a better speaker than other companies who have been doing this for a while. If anyone could figure it out, it would be Cliff, but I suspect it is one of those things where you have to pick your trade-offs vs there being an ideal solution.

At one time Fractal was partnered with Atomic for this but they parted ways. Would be cool to have separate Fractal stereo power amp available if there were some sort of value added or special compatibility features that would make that amp more desireable with Axfx than existing options like Matrix SS or Fryette LxII Tube.

Last edited:
Just a thought... when you get a Fractal unit, there are a bazillion different combinations where they can be employed. Different power amps, monitors, methods. For that reason, everyone is basically going to sound different. I'm sure they sound radically different across a monitor system vs a small combo vs a stack vs direct recording.

So why don't they also offer preconfigured amps? Stacks, half stacks, combos, etc... They could offer a quality combo or stack in varying levels of power and sizes.

Personally, I would be all over this. A ready-made Fractal system that behaves like a traditional amp. Not only that, but when someone creates a patch for, say, the 4x12 half stack, it would sound exactly the same on an identical stack. No further tweaking or aggravation would be needed.

Imagine this in your living room:

View attachment 103943
You beet me to it! Had the same idea just two days ago after reading another thread on this forum. Thanks for mocking this up and sharing (was on my list of things to do)! If this were to ever happen, I would like to see a variety of different cab options (closed back, open back, 2x10, 2x12, 4x12, 15w amp, 50w amp, etc.)! I would also like to see the amp unit and FX unit be modularly attachable/detachable to the cab (no chords necessary, just lock in place and unlock to load out). I could see FAS partnering with one of the big makers of cabs/amps to make this happen, but even in that scenario, it would be a huge undertaking, so I will not be holding my breath for it to happen anytime soon! But I will be letting this dream percolate in my head along with unicorns farting rainbows in a field of gold and emeralds!!!

EDIT: Did not see post from @sprint while I was typing this! Shame that relationship went south between FAS and Atomic!!

Though not formalized I suspect existing power amp options like Fryette LxII and Matrix GT1Kfx were very much developed
with Fractal in mind as I remember very early manufacturer's vids on both these products showcasing Axfx as the input.

Integrated sucks tho - one section has an issue and the whole thing has to go for repair - separates are more
flexible - if I want integrated I can put the separates in a single road case.

Last edited:
Though not formalized I suspect existing power amp options like Fryette LxII and Matrix GT1Kfx were very much developed
with Fractal in mind as I remember very early manufacturer's vids on both these products showcasing Axfx as the input.

Integrated sucks tho - one section has an issue and the whole thing has to go for repair - separates are more
flexible, but if I want integrated I can put the separates in a road case.
I strongly feel that you're giving me permission to order that Matrix that I've been looking at ;-)

I strongly feel that you're giving me permission to order that Matrix that I've been looking at ;-)
I have mixed feelings as I have the matrix and feel that it is the best solution for my FR cabs given how flat the Matrix is, but I'm not totally convinced on the Matrix / Real cab pairing scenario which I've tried a few times with my Mesa cabs and always ended up preferring my EHX Magnums to power those at lowish volume. Somehow I seem to want a slight bit of color on the amps powering real cabs. Would love to try the LxII for this - real power tubes mixed with virtual power tubes seemed counter to the Axefx's design to me for a long time but I'm wavering - if the real power tubes are hi headrm, uncolored enough to let the models show thru, provide that little something that I like with real cabs, and resolve the whole real cab impedance curve determination delemma, then maybe it's the best answer for FR or real cabs. Would be really cool to hear Fractal's musings about what they would do for a product like that tho as I'm sure they would add some interesting bells.

Last edited:
I have mixed feelings as I have the matrix and feel that it is the best solution for my FR cabs given how flat the Matrix is, but I'm not totally convinced on the Matrix / Real cab pairing scenario which I've tried a few times with my Mesa cabs and always ended up preferring my EHX Magnums to power those at lowish volume. Somehow I seem to want a slight bit of color on the amps powering real cabs. Would love to try the LxII for this - real power tubes mixed with virtual power tubes seemed counter to the Axefx's design to me for a long time but I'm wavering - if the real power tubes are hi headrm, uncolored enough to let the models show thru, provide that little something that I like with real cabs, and resolve the whole real cab impedance curve determination delemma, then maybe it's the best answer for FR or real cabs. Would be really cool to hear Fractal's musings about what they would do for a product like that tho as I'm sure they would add some interesting bells.
Whilst I was indeed injecting a little silliness into the thread, I do nevertheless have a genuine interest in these products. So your thoughts are very much appreciated; thank you. These are some of the same doubts and thoughts that have been going around in my head too. I'm preferring real cabs over FRFR at the moment.

I guess I'll be fine with FM3 + Quilter FX return for now. It does sound good to me. I've got some nice sounding cabs too.

Last edited:
I think Fractal is being smart by sticking to their main thing, specifically the astonshing quality of their models and effects. Other companies do power amplification and cabinetry quite well, so why try to compete in those areas?

That said, I really like the look of what's in the OP, especially that head shell with the gold piping.

I think Fractal is being smart by sticking to their main thing, specifically the astonshing quality of their models and effects. Other companies do power amplification and cabinetry quite well, so why try to compete in those areas?

That said, I really like the look of what's in the OP, especially that head shell with the gold piping.
Thanks. I derived that from a Marshall.

:)

And thats a very GOOD thing imo...
I see that as a mix, actually. Let's say you watch a demo video that has a tone to die for. Then you hear it in another video and it sounds the same. Then another, and so on. But you download it and you can barely get in the ballpark. It happens.

But if they were all consistent, remember that you have a bazillion and one options you can tweak to make it your own.

Last edited:
I see that as a mix, actually. Let's say you watch a demo video that has a tone to die for. Then you hear it in an other video and it sounds the same. Then another, and so on. But you download it and you can barely get in the ballpark. It happens.

But if they were all consistent, remember that you have a bazillion and one options you can tweak to make it your own.
I get what you mean, but then again, it will always sound different cuz, another player, touch, pick, different guitar etc

Back
Top Bottom