Why all the Metal??????

Why all the U2??? I hate them soooo much.
Because some of their music exercises the Axe's flexibility. And their guitarist has been known to use one.

And because no one got the memo that said to check your preferences before posting. :)

Metal bands don't have a real budget so it is great (cheap...) on tour and it is great for saving studio time or even recording at home (Meshuggah and Periphery come to mind..) and if the artists embrace the unit so does all the fans.

Jens

Metal bands don't have a budget, so the Axe FX is the only affordable option??? LOL
But seriously, if the op thinks that this board is full of Metal clips, shouldn't he go to a blues, jazz or whatever board and ask those guys, why they don't post clips of their stuff using an Axe fx?

Honestly, I think its because guitar tones for these genres have really not evolved in 50 years. When people talk about a great tone in thise genres, I would hear "oh man, that tone that (Clapton/SRV/Knopfler/Santana, etc) got in that (1970-80) record was the best tone I've ever heard". I can plug into an ancient amp and get a great blues or country tone. Can I get a great metal tone from one of those amps? No.

Metal has always been about innovation and evolution. The tones you heard in metal less than 10 years ago are already outdated. Controlling a large amount of gain while minimising noise, maintaining clarity, harmonics, definition and grain is a challenge for which you need a sophisticated rig like the Axe FX.

While the ease of use makes it an attractive tool for a blues or country guitarist, you REALLY dont need an Axe FX to play those genres. And don't mistake me for some noob - I speak without any bias. I'm over 35, and I have been playing guitar on stage for over 20 years in blues, pop, rock, reggae, covers and metal bands.

The reason some people like metal is probably geneticaly plus the kind of environment they grew up in. I take my metal very seriously and love it. It's my passion :) Makes me feel good.

I guessing there are a couple of reasonbs alot of metal people like the AXE-FX is:

-IR loading. IMO It's easier to hear the difference between IRs with lots of gain. Ability to browse through a gazilion IRs and find one that fits your high-gain playing style is win.

-An "old fart" will allways claim "there is nothing better then real tubes and a mic'ed cab". Old farts don't play metal.

-A black DSP box goes better with the image of metal bands. It's streamlined and modern.

-Be able to do Gate-Boost-Amp-IR-EQ-FX in ONE box is very practical. Metal ususally needs boost and gate.

Tbh I do not see a reason why everyone does not just run AXE-FX for live gigs.

I also think no genre is "better" then another, just different.

Honestly, I think its because guitar tones for these genres have really not evolved in 50 years. When people talk about a great tone in thise genres, I would hear "oh man, that tone that (Clapton/SRV/Knopfler/Santana, etc) got in that (1970-80) record was the best tone I've ever heard". I can plug into an ancient amp and get a great blues or country tone. Can I get a great metal tone from one of those amps? No.

Metal has always been about innovation and evolution. The tones you heard in metal less than 10 years ago are already outdated. Controlling a large amount of gain while minimising noise, maintaining clarity, harmonics, definition and grain is a challenge for which you need a sophisticated rig like the Axe FX.

While the ease of use makes it an attractive tool for a blues or country guitarist, you REALLY dont need an Axe FX to play those genres. And don't mistake me for some noob - I speak without any bias. I'm over 35, and I have been playing guitar on stage for over 20 years in blues, pop, rock, reggae, covers and metal bands.

So now the axe is only really needed for metal? How ludicrous a statement. I guess your serious. You are also wrong. There is just as much diversity in sound in other genres than there are in metal-All of you guys sound like your defending Metal --It's what you like-fine-but don't go knockin other stuff .

I won't get into the lack of diversity in metal-So why do you do that with other music.

Frickin kids again-Kids does not mean your age, it's the way some act-period. What a ridiculous post. And the "old farts" comment-more ignorance and disrespect.

BTW-I didn't think the original post was cool at all. But the stupid rational, that's another story

Last edited:
So now the axe is only really needed for metal? How ludicrous a statement. I guess your serious. You are also wrong. There is just as much diversity in sound in other genres than there are in metal-All of you guys sound like your defending Metal --It's what you like-fine-but don't go knockin other stuff .

I won't get into the lack of diversity in metal-So why do you do that with other music.

Frickin kids again-Kids does not mean your age, it's the way some act-period. What a ridiculous post. And the "old farts" comment-more ignorance and disrespect.

BTW-I didn't think the original post was cool at all. But the stupid rational, that's another story

LOL!! I genuinely love that people get wound up over this shit.

Rheumatism acting up again? :lol :p

Just kidding man. I can't believe the thread is still going. Before long we'll be sharpening up the spears and tightening down the shields (HOW METAL WOULD THAT BE!?).

Everybody go smoke a joint and come back for hugs.

Back
Top Bottom