Why all the Metal??????

A famous Funk Guitar Player Said: "Funk is, what you don't Play"

So, you understand? The 2 Seconds of Silence before each Emo-Math-Grind-Speed-Die-Die-Die-Kickyourneighbourinthebutt-Breakdown is stuffed with a Million Ton of Pure, sexy FUNK!

Reactions: LVC
As far as tonality, I love the rich deep tones that some the Metal presets put out, but honestly.... wouldn't you rather hear 7 meaningful notes from those tones that tell a story, than 10,000 perfectly played notes that never take a breath? LOL, I'm starting to sound like my dad!

Metal riffs get boring over time just as much as brown sound EVH stuff can do the same. I like both but would when you starting out in life you make less money and the modeler is a way to put all your money on a safe bet you'll get a good spread of the tones a guitarist needs. Where as having several tube rigs and a nice SUV to haul them around in comes with time.

Simply put, metal guitarists are more progressive thinkers. All your country, blues, classic rock type guys are so stuck on tubes. Hence most of them not being here.

I think we may be missing the big key part here. Metal usually goes with a younger crowd and a younger crowd is going to be much more tech-savvy / have much more free time on their hands. That said, they're going to be cranking out recordings/videos quite a bit faster than older guys who may not be as familiar with the latest trends.. ie youtube,sound cloud etc.

WTF, I'm offended!!! (Just kidding, hehe)

40 years old, work 40-80 hours a week, three kids...blah, blah, blah. Listen to all sorts of stuff, but especially LOVE Dream Theater. Can you think of a more tech savvy guy than JP??

Pfft..."older guys"...

WTF, I'm offended!!! (Just kidding, hehe)

40 years old, work 40-80 hours a week, three kids...blah, blah, blah. Listen to all sorts of stuff, but especially LOVE Dream Theater. Can you think of a more tech savvy guy than JP??

Pfft..."older guys"...

The question asked was why do I only see metal posts / videos? To be honest, I think metal posts/videos are in the minority on this site and I'm not really sure what exactly the OP is referring to but I certainly wasn't trying to say that the older crowd isn't capable of these things. Just making the observation that in all likelihood, most people 40+ aren't worrying about the next soundcloud clip they're going to upload to their bands facebook page.

The question asked was why do I only see metal posts / videos? To be honest, I think metal posts/videos are in the minority on this site and I'm not really sure what exactly the OP is referring to but I certainly wasn't trying to say that the older crowd isn't capable of these things. Just making the observation that in all likelihood, most people 40+ aren't worrying about the next soundcloud clip they're going to upload to their bands facebook page.

I was totally kidding! I'm with ya!

The only reason I don't post more youtubes is because it's hard to get quiet time without my kids running all over the place to be able to record myself, lol.

Oh I know, I was just clarifying on the point I was making lol. The older we get, the harder it is do things like this. Just for some perspective, I'm 29, a medical student, LOVE my metal, but don't put anything up due to time issues and find myself playing classic rock on the plexi treble more than I find myself playing metal on the FAS Mod.

I was totally kidding! I'm with ya!

The only reason I don't post more youtubes is because it's hard to get quiet time without my kids running all over the place to be able to record myself, lol.

I'm waiting to hear something new. But gain more than anything else tends to have the basics of what I'm wanting to hear.

Metal isn't mainstream? It's a bonafide genre. For the past few decades, pop culture males have been more likely to play guitar than another instrument. Nowadays most males under 25 are likely to want it dirty*, to whatever degree.

*Popular usage of the concept, not mine.

A famous Funk Guitar Player Said: "Funk is, what you don't Play"

So, you understand? The 2 Seconds of Silence before each Emo-Math-Grind-Speed-Die-Die-Die-Kickyourneighbourinthebutt-Breakdown is stuffed with a Million Ton of Pure, sexy FUNK!

Agree --- Here is Santana echoing the same sentiment as he talks about Buddy Guy

"...I’ve seen Buddy destroy a couple of musicians. I won’t say their names, because I don’t want to hurt their feelings. But they were playing a gazillion notes per second, while he was holding one note, and he looked like a man who was on top of the Grand Canyon wielding a lightning bolt that sounded like Jimi Hendrix. He’s holding that one note, and he’s grinning at these guys playing a bunch of little notes that sound like mosquitoes stuck in a screen door. That’s not going to hurt him. But he’ll hurt you with one note that transcends the blues, and all the equipment he’s using. That’s heart, and Buddy Guy has an incredible heart...."

I wonder the opposite of metal.. i wonder why all the rockers? I've seen more old school rock than metal lol but axe-fx was designed for all types of guitarist and styles so i wouldn't think its just for metal guitarist (like myself).

I have been wondering about this since early 2009. I have no problem saying I don't like any of it. But that's just me. I loved Hendrix and stuff like that-still do-but he played the guitar and it sounded like a guitar. The metal stuff does not sound like a guitar to me. And the devil scream type vocal-sorry don't get it.

*******But I remember my parents saying the same thing to me when I was stoned and listening to Hendrix or Electric Flag and they were listening to Mario Lanza and Patti Page.

So, actually, it's all good- No one likes everything in music but each piece has it's place and I think that's a good thing-would suck if we all liked the same type of music-How boring would that be.

Yes I'm an old rocker------Peace.

Been reading this thread and a I guess that the "tube snob" response is the one that makes more sense.

Besides, either inside the axe world, either outsider the axe world - metal guitar players have been appearing lately like crazy! 9 out of 10 guitar players I know play Metal and NOTHING ELSE. Yea, It's cool, I really enjoy some metal, a die-hard John Petrucci, Synyster Gates fan (...), but also enjoying and have been trying to catch some of the new Bruno mars clean funky tones that have been coming out lately in the year 2013 :)

Back
Top Bottom