Who Wants to Test Some New Firmware? (12.03 Beta 5 UPDATE)

That's not what I said at all.

no beta should be released until that issue can be resolved
We know that a corrupted preset can also lock up the AF2, again that simply shouldn't be possible.
they either need to fix this or if it can't be fixed, they should disable...
Having it lock up and crash should not be acceptable.

like the mighty mighty bosstones, that's the impression that i get.

i agree with what you've said and suggested though. but using the word "should" as much as you do suggests that you believe something is wrong and/or unacceptable - nothing wrong with that as i mentioned before - and therefore Fractal shouldn't release anything that is wrong or faulty. so to me, it's basically what you said, at all. :)

but more specifically, the notion of "they shouldn't release a beta until it doesn't crash the system" is basically saying "they shouldn't release a beta until all the bugs are gone" - but that's exactly what a beta is: it has potential bugs and problems and should not be loaded in a performance environment, but only a test environment.

i'm sure google skewed everyone's definition of "beta" with gmail being in beta stage for so long, and other companies followed suite and used it more as a marketing technique to sell their product. but a beta can/will have bugs and can crash your system. to request Fractal not release beta builds with bugs is just silly.

I've noticed this in so many other cases coming from the computer industry, people jumps all over beta releases
and then turn around and bitch about them being slow and unstable ( they sometimes contains a bunch of extensive protective code and advanced error checking / logging)

Most people doesn't know what a beta release is, and even fewer knows about alphas (most often internal releases) and basically the whole idea with testing, if a user doesn't know what a beta is and why it is released they should stay away from it.

Personally I think it's great to have the opportunity to help checking products in development, and a company like FAS that
do so much for us users, I would gladly help in any way I could ....

and I'm sure most users feel the same way.

Thank you FAS for making this even better and better, I've never experienced a company like this before,
all these additions are fantastic .. I'm more happy with my axe fx today than a year ago when I first opened
the package and I was in awe for days couldn't believe what I heard ..

Having said that I also want to add that the people of this forum are awesome, a lot of talented and generous
people on this forum, and that is also a factor that greatly enhance the product

:)

you all have a nice 2014

i'm sure google skewed everyone's definition of "beta" with gmail being in beta stage for so long, and other companies followed suite and used it more as a marketing technique to sell their product.
Actually, Microsoft skewed it two decades ago when they started charging money for Windows beta. :)

but more specifically, the notion of "they shouldn't release a beta until it doesn't crash the system" is basically saying "they shouldn't release a beta until all the bugs are gone"
Not the same thing AT ALL. A bug that crashes the system is in a completely different category than a bug where a feature doesn't work or a setting doesn't show the right value or even AE not showing the same info as the AF2. When there's any possible scenario where just operating the product can stop it from responding to controls or stop producing sound, this is a what we call a "show stopper" bug and most companies will pull their firmware and fix that sort of bug before releasing it again to the public, beta, alpha or whatever!

Anyway, agree or don't agree, I don't really want to have this discussion anymore, it's a just waste of bandwidth. Cliff and the team will run things however they see fit, and so far it's gone very well for them. I've purchased 5 AF2 and 4 MFCs so far and have a few more this year to get, so as long as no show stoppers ever make it to a release FW, then I see no problem.

they did.

it's not like they know and willingly release a firmware beta with that category of bug haha. but that's exactly what a beta is for! right?

Right. Back when I was writing software, the "beta" level simply meant that you think it's right, but only extensive testing will prove it out. Systems can be pretty complicated, so thorough testing can be extremely time-consuming. So, you spread it out amongst a larger group to share the load. Chances are somebody is going to find something wrong, at which point you can either deal with it, explain why it's not a problem, or pull a Microsoft and call it a "feature". It's you're "B" game, until you finally say "that's it; that's as far as I'm going; learn to like it." Call it a love story and move on until you feel the need to start digging into the code again.

I really like the last beta firmware. Dial-in a good sounding amp is now very simple (ok, not only due to the last beta but since the v11) and this is really a significant step in the right direction. For example, I really get a nice AC30 sound with default settings, only by slightly adjusting the drive/bass/med/high to taste (like a real amp ^^). No more needs to tweak the advanced settings for hours :)

My opinion is the focus now should be put on IRs, finding more easy ways to deal with the massive amount of possibilities that we have with them. I'm sure that many people lose a lot of time in their presets by tweaking the amp while the "issue" in their sound is coming from a wrong selected IR.

I'm still trying here to promote a "matching cab" IR option in the cab block that would automatically select an IR according to the amp in front of it.

I really like the last beta firmware. Dial-in a good sounding amp is now very simple (ok, not only due to the last beta but since the v11) and this is really a significant step in the right direction. For example, I really get a nice AC30 sound with default settings, only by slightly adjusting the drive/bass/med/high to taste (like a real amp ^^). No more needs to tweak the advanced settings for hours :)

My opinion is the focus now should be put on IRs, finding more easy ways to deal with the massive amount of possibilities that we have with them. I'm sure that many people lose a lot of time in their presets by tweaking the amp while the "issue" in their sound is coming from a wrong selected IR.

I'm still trying here to promote a "matching cab" IR option in the cab block that would automatically select an IR according to the amp in front of it.

A way to set the amp block speaker parameters to a new default based on the IR that is loaded would be cool.

A way to set the amp block speaker parameters to a new default based on the IR that is loaded would be cool.

Yeah, I was thinking that also... kind of like the default tone stack. Once the amp block is selected, automatically, a cab block is selected with a default cab type. An option of NONE can be selected in the cab block, if someone really doesn't want any cabs in the preset.

I'm learning some Classic Rock tunes that were before my time (Cream, Steve Miller, Free), to prepare for an audition I have next week, with a low-tech jammer band. I found everything I need with the '59 Bassman and a 2x12 OH cabinet from the new release that I just bought before the price increase deadline last week.

All I'm going to need is an overdrive in front of this and reverb. And I'm going to tinker with the new Scene Modifier's so I can get everything from clean to crazy out of this amp without having to leave amp1X to go to amp1Y or Amp2 at all.

Gooohoooohooohooouuuuddddd stuff.................

Haha,oh wow. Fortunately I stopped at the pod x3 but I'll never forget the constant lag bad paying dishing out extra money for more models.

So when does the public Beta become a release? I mean does one wait until no more issues are reported, makes sense just asking as I don't know.

So when does the public Beta become a release? I mean does one wait until no more issues are reported, makes sense just asking as I don't know.

I would hazard a guess that it awaits an updated version of AxeEdit, plus updated presets due to the problems surrounding 123.

Back
Top Bottom