What's the word on version 11 firmware?

GM Arts

Fractal Fanatic
I'm at work at the moment (all work & no play!)

Anyone tried v11 yet? Does it require a major re-tweak of every patch, or is it more of a feel improvement?

I already have a tight bottom end (or so my lovely wife tells me) which I've achieved mostly with medium settings of the amp low cut.

Only played for a few minutes. First thing I noticed is the bass which is indeed tighter.

For example, combining the Topboost (MV maxed) with humbuckers and playing low notes would normally result in farting/flubby tones. With 11 not anymore.
Same goes for other vintage sims such as Trainwreck.
Less need to turn up Low Cut or turn down Bass.

Last edited:
It's a really nice feel improvement. My patches have much more clarity, and much less mud. The low end just feels more rigid, for lack of a better word.

Most of my patches just sound better right off the mark. But on some of the ones that I do want a looser feeling low-end on I've had to mess with the depth/damp/sag parameters a bit to get it back to where I like them. Maybe a slight adjustment to low-cut could do the trick too. But it doesn't take long to do the tweaks, and overall the patches feel much better when playing through them. Definitely glad the update didn't change the character of the patches too much.

Kinda bummed that we didn't get the Jose modded marshall though.. or at least I didn't see it.

I was really looking forward to that amp sim, too... Perhaps just for the Axe II....?

It's a really nice feel improvement. My patches have much more clarity, and much less mud. The low end just feels more rigid, for lack of a better word.

Most of my patches just sound better right off the mark. But on some of the ones that I do want a looser feeling low-end on I've had to mess with the depth/damp/sag parameters a bit to get it back to where I like them. Maybe a slight adjustment to low-cut could do the trick too. But it doesn't take long to do the tweaks, and overall the patches feel much better when playing through them. Definitely glad the update didn't change the character of the patches too much.

Kinda bummed that we didn't get the Jose modded marshall though.. or at least I didn't see it.

11 is awesome! Just been messing, at first I though, shit, this sounds really top-endy, then I realised that I had my global EQ set to remove a load of low end to try and combat the flub. Reset the globals to flat and all sound great! Amps like JCM800 which sounded crappy (IMHO) when crank'd and with the bass up now sound tight and awesomey. Tried the Top Boost which I always has issues with now sounds, well, tight! Metal tones from the RectoNew sound full and chunky. Hell Yeah!

The AxeFX II sounds like it could be mind altering but this update will keep me happy for the time being :)

Thanks Cliff, you the man!

11 is awesome! Just been messing, at first I though, shit, this sounds really top-endy, then I realised that I had my global EQ set to remove a load of low end to try and combat the flub. Reset the globals to flat and all sound great! Amps like JCM800 which sounded crappy (IMHO) when crank'd and with the bass up now sound tight and awesomey. Tried the Top Boost which I always has issues with now sounds, well, tight! Metal tones from the RectoNew sound full and chunky. Hell Yeah!

The AxeFX II sounds like it could be mind altering but this update will keep me happy for the time being :)

Thanks Cliff, you the man!

+1

If you really want to know the difference, record all of your favorite patches (wet and dry), upgrade, and then reamp the dry signal through 11.

With that said, I didn't do that because I was lazy. My gut reaction is that 11 has taken an edge (no pun intended) out of all of my patches. Everything seems "clearer" and although the emphasis was on the low end, the top end doesn't seem to be as messy as before. The small changes will in turn force small changes to my patches.

But then again, ears are strange. Every time I play through the AxeFX (even on the same patches) I think it sounds different.

Amps like JCM800 which sounded crappy

I always had a hard time to get it where I wanted to to be - now it sounds awesome right away.
I also had to lower some low-cut and drive tone settings, and turn up the bass, and right away :mrgreen

This is BIG!

I just looked at the source code for the 11.0 patch:

// patch begins
for i = 1 to 383
..begin
....preset.load();
....preset.flub = preset.flub * 0.5;
....preset.warm(10).percent;
....preset.save();
..end
end
global.blanket.remove(1).layer;