What's everyones favorite Metal Amp right now?

I

I’m using Dyna Cabs only, 1960 TV in this case.
Here is my preset if you are interested, have fun!
Thanks for posting your preset! Finally had a chance to download it. Sounds great. I'm playing my Carvin DC127 through it presently, with stock pu's. I'll try an Ibanez RG550 with it later. Hard to put the Carvin down, as its interfacing so nicely with your preset!
Cheers,
Lee

I just recently did a tone match to Adrian Smith's tone from rock in rio (the first one) and used the JMP high gain channel version, which is spot on for that tone. I'm pretty sure Maiden were using JMP-1 at that time, maybe still are? I can see why bands liked that amp, it sits nicely in a mix, it's not too bass heavy or bright, very even sounding
Janick is still using the JMP-1, and Dave is using the JMP-1 model out of the Axe FX, confirmed by his tech. Adrian stopped using the JMP-1 and went back to heads around the 2010s.

For the latest tour, either Adrian or Janick are using a Kemper live; no official confirmation has been said but you can see one sitting next to Steve's stuff in his rig rundown.

Surprised that many people aren’t using the 5153 50w blue. It’s so tight with the T808 OD and maxoff 808. I have tried all of the amps and always come back to this one. It’s the closest I can get to my real 50w stealth blue channel. That would be so cool to get the 50w stealth one day in the axe. My friend who tours all of the time uses the 5153 50w blue channel on the axe as well.

I share the exact the same mindset. I always come back to the 5153 50 watt blue with the T808 Mod.

Here’s a question, on my xxx on back there is a tight medium and loose switch. I tend to leave it in the middle position but there is a feel difference between them I’m not sure I comprehend what I hear between them. What is it and how does the metal axe amps handle this?

Janick is still using the JMP-1, and Dave is using the JMP-1 model out of the Axe FX, confirmed by his tech. Adrian stopped using the JMP-1 and went back to heads around the 2010s.

For the latest tour, either Adrian or Janick are using a Kemper live; no official confirmation has been said but you can see one sitting next to Steve's stuff in his rig rundown.
That explains why Adrian's tone does sound different now. I find it interesting that some of them are using digital and some using real amps. For the sake of convenience you would think they would all go digital. It's much cheaper for a start. If one guy in the band goes digital but one doesn’t, you kind of negate the cost saving and practicality side of digital.

Listening to John Zocco's latest interview on Phil Collen's rig, its pretty clear they are benefitting from getting consistent sound everywhere they go with the Axefx III, and not having to deal with tubes and real amps, voltage issues etc.

I'm just surprised more people haven't taken advantage of that

It's always a mix for me, never one amp/cab anymore.
Exactly way to much to settle in one each and it’s own effect on what I think and play. Each has its own effect on how I feel. I still love my tube amps but this has a permanent home in my world as well. It can be so inspiring!

Revv 120 hands down for me! I love the purple and red channels. I have the new 10th version of the amp and it is incredible. I've been tweaking the AxeIII-T and FM3T models to get very close to it. Equally, the EVH Stealth that fractal modelled is also amazing.
With that, there are just so many amazing models that they have in there to find your sound!

That explains why Adrian's tone does sound different now. I find it interesting that some of them are using digital and some using real amps. For the sake of convenience you would think they would all go digital. It's much cheaper for a start. If one guy in the band goes digital but one doesn’t, you kind of negate the cost saving and practicality side of digital.

Listening to John Zocco's latest interview on Phil Collen's rig, its pretty clear they are benefitting from getting consistent sound everywhere they go with the Axefx III, and not having to deal with tubes and real amps, voltage issues etc.

I'm just surprised more people haven't taken advantage of that
At least Dave is still using amps and cabs, he sends a direct signal to FOH but splits to a Power Amp and cab, which is also miced, and his rack still has the old JMP-1s and, Harris still brings his full rig with cabs and big racks... so cost is not an issue for them haha

Back
Top Bottom