What String Gauge do you use on electric (strat)

Pickup swapping is fun but can become a bit... consuming.

Try some pickups with Alnico 5 magnets instead of the Alnico 3 pickups the Highway One comes with. Maybe Texas Specials, or something from Seymour Duncan. BKP or Lollar if you want to get boutiquey.

I'd still give 10's a try, but you'll have to pick harder to maintain the snap.

For me, I use 10's, I like the tone better but there are some things that are just plain harder for me to play.

Blackmore's Deep Purple stuff is just plain easier for me with 9's vs. 10's. And some of Hendrix's stuff, even the 1/2 step down stuff, I can play smoother with 9's.

- Richard

again... thanks for all the help...

I used to use 9's, but I prefer the sound after switching to 10's. I'm using Ernie Ball slinky's.
What type of music do you play?

Pickup swapping is fun but can become a bit... consuming.

Try some pickups with Alnico 5 magnets instead of the Alnico 3 pickups the Highway One comes with. Maybe Texas Specials, or something from Seymour Duncan. BKP or Lollar if you want to get boutiquey.

I'd still give 10's a try, but you'll have to pick harder to maintain the snap.

I am thinking about the DiMarzio Area 58s. I know a few players I like say they use them.
I have a good friend who had a strat loaded with Kinnman?? not sure the spelling. I have heard them and they do sound good!
Something in this style... a medium output pup is what I am thinking.

9-42's Ernie Ball super slinky's for me
I am pretty supprised it's not way more tilted away from 9s. I figured the majority would be 10s, but so far its not a walk!

Mainly 9-42
A brand new Fender Tele from 2011 came with that gauge too

I find that gauge easier for bending and vibrato but I tend to "miss" or hit the string weirdly with the pick when I (try to) play fast on the high E string.

I am pretty supprised it's not way more tilted away from 9s. I figured the majority would be 10s, but so far its not a walk!
9's are what they use in guitar stores, and there's no question they're easier to play. I would guess that way over half of all guitar players use 9's.

After 35 years of 9's, I switched to 10-46 D'Addarios recently. Couldn't be happier. I find the intonation is a bit better, especially on the cowboy chords down by the nut. I'm liking the tone too, just a bit less icepicky.

I use 10's on most of my guitars. I prefer D'Addario. I use 12's on my acoustics (elixirs) and 12 flatwound (Tomasik's) on my Heritage Sweet 16. I use a Carvin AE275 for practice and I string that with 11's to build strength. I like to use a heavier string for practice. When I switch back to the 10's they feel easy to play.

I'm amazed that anyone plays' 9's !! I understand vendors putting them on guitars for GC and other rmusak stores, makes 'em easy to play for the beginner spending mom's hard earned $$.
I always found them too light - can bend the top E up to bottom fret without thinking; they NEVER stay in tune for more than 35 seconds; don't last more than 3 days.
Used to play 11's - mainly for great sound with slide. Have also used combination 1/2 sets in the past after figuring out that 4hr sets with 11's tore up my fingers/wrist.
Those combos' could be 11's on top 3 strings and 10's on rest on any variation thereof. Experimenting was fun.. and time consuming.

Currently play either Elixir or D'Addario 10-46's - straight sets.

That's crazy-I have been playing for, oh, about 35 years. I use 9's and bend the heck out of them. I almost "never" go out of tune. I'm happy you like 10's. I can name many "great" players that use 9's, some even use 8's. It's all on the player-not the strings.

That's crazy-I have been playing for, oh, about 35 years. I use 9's and bend the heck out of them. I almost "never" go out of tune. I'm happy you like 10's. I can name many "great" players that use 9's, some even use 8's. It's all on the player-not the strings.
No disagreement :) But - IMHO (and its only my opinion) - I still don't see how folks play 9's.. 'course there a those that play 12's and 13's and I feel the same about those too :)
Each to what works for them.

Back
Top Bottom