What Should I Get For Recording?

I use Reaper and Cubase...I really enjoy both. You can't really go wrong with Cubase, ProTools, and Logic. For the price Reaper is definately the best! You can download a free trial and see if you like it!

Guitar center gives free begining recording lessons (1 hr) on Saturdays. They use GarageBand. I havent it done one but maybe someone here could chime in about it to say if its worth it.

If you just wan't to record some clips, Audacity is free... no idea if it supports AFX2 re-amping etc, because I'm still on the waiting list. If not, then I'll also be purchacing Reaper soon..

I will also chime in on reaper.

You can try it out free, the licence is 60 bucks. Just if you decide that is what you want to use go ahead and pay the license fee. Only 60 bucks and it helps the company continue to make improvement to a product that for the price is really incredible.

I use Cubase myself but it's the only one I've ever used. Reaper is definitely the cheapest DAW for the money. Correct me if I'm wrong though guys, it does not come preinstalled with any plugins? That being said, Cubase, Protools, Ableton, etc, come with preinstalled (and generally really great sounding) plugins.

Reaper comes installed with very simple, even barebones, plugins, but they're plenty useful. ReaFIR is probably my favorite of them all, and the most versatile. You can attenuate any band by 90dB (boost by 12 or more, I think), and it can also serve as noise reduction and compression.

List of bundled plugins here: REAPER | ReaPlugs

If you are using an mac protools plus an apogee duet would be the way to go. You can find used apogee duets around $300.

I'm a PC guy, so I guess I'll be getting Reaper (to get my feet wet)...then maybe down the line I'll grab Pro Tools. Thanks everybody for their suggestions. Very much appreciated.

Kevin

good luck, Ive tried many, reaper now, but damn wish there was some super easy setup tutorial;

If you are using an mac protools plus an apogee duet would be the way to go. You can find used apogee duets around $300.

He has a II. No need for a Duet or any audio interface.
And Protools just for clips?

It wouldn't just be for clips. But given the price jump, I'll probably get the $60.00 program...and get my feet wet.

The great thing with REAPER is that you can try it for free, and it's not crippled in any way. You can decide if it'll work for you, THEN pay the $60. Bang for the buck, there simply isn't anything better than REAPER out there. And they're always improving it. I'll gladly give my money to folks like this, who make and support products like this. :D

I did download Reaper, but then real life got crazy busy. (Does this happen to anyone else other than me?). It's on my to-do list to get it up & running.

Kevin

Definitely Reaper....
used most of the others out there at one point or another including various releases of Cubase, Nuendo, PT, Fruity Loops, Sonar, Wavelab, Magix, Ableton, Acid, BIAB, Audacity, Reason/Recycle and even SAW Studio (among others) - and plenty of freeware/shareware stuff too.

For price/value... nothing beats Reaper IMHO.

Definitely Reaper....
used most of the others out there at one point or another including various releases of Cubase, Nuendo, PT, Fruity Loops, Sonar, Wavelab, Magix, Ableton, Acid, BIAB, Audacity, Reason/Recycle and even SAW Studio (among others) - and plenty of freeware/shareware stuff too.

For price/value... nothing beats Reaper IMHO.

+1

Heads up: Presonus makes a DAW called Studio One which IMO will be the most serious contender to the most established
ones (which is actually Cubase besides Protools as this world is still a PC world).
Studio One is very streamlined, all drag and drop, and comes with an impressive bundle of plugins.
It has some serious mastering capabilities, too.
ATM they sell it for half the price, i.e. 180.- Euro or 238.- USD.
There's also a demo to check it out.

Back
Top Bottom