What are you listening to right now?

Guitar oriented stuff

I never heard Chris' solo stuff before your post. Of course it is awesome - so thanks for that! I listen to Scale The Summit all the time, but I will add his solo stuff into the mix now too.

I really liked the ERRA too until the cookie monster vocals. I think I'm just too old for the growly stuff. There's a few singers that can do it melodically then I'm down, at that point it's still singing. But bands that do the low monotone stuff don't work for me as much. For those bands I get through the exorcist vocal parts in order to get to my narrow-minded view of the good stuff in between.

But I do like me some of that good stuff in between!

Revisiting the Robert Plant catalog.

Time going deep in that catalog is time well spent! I never got to see Zep live or any of his other musical adventures live. I was hoping to see him and Alison Krauss in 2021 but it never happened (covid probably killed the tour).

So when I heard they were touring this summer I was sure that they would come to Red Rocks - because it's Red Rocks.

But nooooo .....

The blues. Live. With friends who used to play in Elvis’, BB King’s and Maynard Ferguson’s bands among others. The bass player played blues all over Europe for years. Yeah they’re old but when they start working together on stage it’s so good!

Cool. Fleetwood Mac beat 'em to the punch by a few decades though!

Well ... kinda. Thank You Scientist was recorded live on site. Besides what you see in the video, Tusk was recorded with some of the USC marching band on a sound stage in LA completely separate from what the band did. I love Fleetwood Mac and taste is always individual, but for me Tusk was my least favorite Fleetwood Mac song of all time. I thought that song was just album filler when it came out. It was like Lindsey ran out of better material.

For me that Thank You Scientist track f'ing ripped in every regard. My favorite part is the tuned percussion doubling the lead guitar runs. And it was recorded live in real time. SICKLY Fantastic!

..but for me Tusk was my least favorite Fleetwood Mac song of all time. I thought that song was just album filler when it came out. It was like Lindsey ran out of better material.
Actually it was recorded at Dodger Stadium live on site.

We'll just have to disagree on your opinion of the song. It's actually one of my favorites, love how it builds. Conversely, other than being cool, I don't really get much out of FXMLDR, but as you said it's a matter of taste. Tusk charted at 8 in the US and FXMLDR charted not so high (can't really find a reference).

Actually it was recorded at Dodger Stadium live on site.

We'll just have to disagree on your opinion of the song. It's actually one of my favorites, love how it builds. Conversely, other than being cool, I don't really get much out of FXMLDR, but as you said it's a matter of taste. Tusk charted at 8 in the US and FXMLDR charted not so high (can't really find a reference).

So maybe they recorded the marching band there? But all the Mac members were working on their tans in the seats. For me Tusk just doesn't go anywhere melodically. Fleetwood Mac's melodies are always what drew me in. So Tusk would never fit my narrow-minded definition of a song with good melodies - especially coming from that incredibly deep melodic talent pool!

You lost me with chart position's relevance. No one knows who Thank You Scientist is unless you are a nerd musician that likes nerd musician music. Madonna's songs charted way higher than Tusk. Taylor Swift's charted higher than Madonna. Does that make them better than Fleetwood Mac? Maybe so if Madonna is your cup of tea served in a pointy bra. At least Taylor is a hottie so I can watch her (with the volume down). Hot as Stevie? I prefer the hippie chick vibe that Stevie always had. But I'm a child of the 70's.

Rest assured Tusk is probably the only Fleetwood Mac song I would dream of dissing. I'm sure we can agree without reservation that the rest of their catalog even going back to Bob Welch and Peter Green are all classic rock masterpieces! Now I have to listen to Oh Well ...

You lost me with chart position's relevance....
Well chart position is how the masses speak of their opinion of a song. So like it or not, that tells you how others (in general) agree or disagree with your opinion.

In this case, your example didn't even register.

Well chart position is how the masses speak of their opinion of a song. So like it or not, that tells you how others (in general) agree or disagree with your opinion.

In this case, your example didn't even register.
The masses? So mob rule is the arbiter of good taste? Ok sure.

Don't worry the 2 below will barely register either.

Back
Top Bottom