What Amp Models would you like to see added?

I think I opened a can of worms here. I’m new to the forums im a new fractal user im just trying to start a convo! To all that have done that thank you. Just trying to see what this is all about.

Haha. Yeah, we already have another amp wish list thread going on. That said, I wouldn't worry about it. They are all big boys. If they don't want to participate, they will move on. If they mods don't want the clutter, they will just merge the two.

You’re definitely missing something.
Oh I'm sure I am.

I've tried for years and years to get into the Mesa 2C sound but I just don't like it. Millions of people can't be wrong, but it's just not for me.

Pretty much the only artist I like who played a 2C was Santana. Metallicas guitar sound makes me want to vom for example.

Driftwoods are the worst though, fizzy crap once you crank them.

Mezzabarbas are better, but I still wouldn't buy one (although their preamp does seem pretty cool.)

I think I opened a can of worms here. I’m new to the forums im a new fractal user im just trying to start a convo! To all that have done that thank you. Just trying to see what this is all about.
don't worry about your thread. There are great discussions here, I pass but remain a spectator! The people on this forum are amazing and don't hesitate to share their valuable experiences.

Oh I'm sure I am.

I've tried for years and years to get into the Mesa 2C sound but I just don't like it. Millions of people can't be wrong, but it's just not for me.

Pretty much the only artist I like who played a 2C was Santana. Metallicas guitar sound makes me want to vom for example.

Driftwoods are the worst though, fizzy crap once you crank them.

Mezzabarbas are better, but I still wouldn't buy one (although their preamp does seem pretty cool.)
It’s not the amps, its the songs. If Master Of Puppets was recorded on a Gorilla amp, that would be the new 2C. I’m with you on the 2C and count me in on the JCM 800 line and the jubes too, or any other amp that “sounds great with an XXX in front of it (which means it really doesnt sound great at all)”, but I think you’re a little off base on the Mezzabarba stuff. Those amps are bone crushing monsters. I have the Skill 30, Mzero Overdrive and Trinity here and they’re among my best amps.

Ampeg V4 (easy enough to get close with a SV Bass and modifications)
Marshall Super Bass (I haven't really put any effort into figuring out how to rig one out of the Super Lead models)
Orange OR120

For me it would be the Helios Eclipse.

There’s others but this one to me would be top of the pile.

<snip>
Marshall Super Bass (I haven't really put any effort into figuring out how to rig one out of the Super Lead models)
<snip>

They were so close to one another that it's like playing "spot the difference" between the schematics. When the first PCB versions were released in the mid-70s, I seem to remember they used the same PCB with a capacitor and resistor or 2 changed between lead and bass versions. I think just a Super Lead model with the input trimmed down a little would be pretty close.

Liam

or any other amp that “sounds great with an XXX in front of it (which means it really doesnt sound great at all)”,.
I wonder if any of these companies have built those highly coveted amps with the XXX already built into the preamp, would people said "yuck" because it's not the two separate pieces?

That being said, I love the 2C+ and IV channels in the Mesa Mark V. In the axe I only love the 2C++ out of the mark clones.

I think i suggested this before so here I go again (pun intended) Jay Graydon Signature Rivera Rake Head

https://www.rivera.com/product/heads/rake-head-jay-graydon-signature-reissue-copy/
I owned one of these back in the 90's. I bought it because I love the lead tone on Tracy Chapman's Give Me One Reason, which Jay Graydon used for the solo on that song. A great amp, as are every Rivera model that I've played.

I have wanted to add an Ampeg VT-22 (or a VT-4, which is the head only version of the VT-22). A friend had one when I was a teenager. It was incredibly heavy (well over 100lbs) and louder than any 2 speaker combo had any business being. We cranked that puppy in my friends back yard one afternoon when no one was home. It was so loud that his mom heard it blocks away and wondered who was making all the racket. She was not happy when she realized that it was her son. :) The power amp saturation on that amp was amazing. It had this sheen and warble that was awesome. I'd love to be able to recreate that sound without bursting my ear drums.

I wonder if any of these companies have built those highly coveted amps with the XXX already built into the preamp, would people said "yuck" because it's not the two separate pieces?

That being said, I love the 2C+ and IV channels in the Mesa Mark V. In the axe I only love the 2C++ out of the mark clones.

Don't some amps already, notoriously, do that? Mesa Boogie Triple Crest, Marshall Silver Jubilee, and some versions
of the JCM800 and JCM900 (among others) all have opamps and/or clipping diodes added into the preamp (aka a "pedal.")

Pretty sure the Jose Aredondo Mod of Marshall Superleads and Plexis also used some Zener diode clipping. Dave Friedman
used some of that same topology in the BE amps. Saturation switch ON = introduction of diode clipping into the circuit.

Someone else here probably knows more about that than I do. :)

many of the amps mentioned above are definitely derived from other circuits for instance , If your interested and want to tweak here are some starting points

The Mezzabara is a Marshall/SLO. Mix

The Original HK Triamp same thing its a SLO pre amp with a Jcm Type output

Framus Cobra Slo preamp w Bandaxall tweaked tone stack

Peavey JSX is a take on the 5150 Lead channel w Active Eq like the XXX and El34s

Driftwood I am not sure but it not 100% original it is coming from something else

***As far as pretty original circuits one I could mention that would be cool to have is a Naylor SuperDrive

Like an old Chevy. The 80s cars were dogs until you put a new cam/intake/carb etc on them. Then they made some power.
I’d prefer to buy the new vette, it’s awesome right out of the showroom.

The edge mode on channel II of the MarkV is kinda special, too I think.

...Stop thinking about having your favorite brand/model X in the amp and start learning what the already massive selection can do. The goal should be to get your favorite tones rather than the tone of some particular real amp. If you treat amp models as if they are just some presets you will find more tones that you like.
This x100. 👍

I totally agree also.

I've been on the Hot Kitty for like 5 months now. An amp I wouldn't even look at in real life. I'm running it opposite of how the 'experts' say to run it. I'm closer to my 'ideal sound' than I have ever been and am extremely happy. I don't 'need' any other models/sims.

The thing is...is that discovering that model has made me want more grindy and dry based models that can act as a 'block platform' like the Kitty does. Just natural MAS (model acquisition syndrome)

Back
Top Bottom