Waitlist Email

You got it seven days after you paid? I was thinking it would be months, not days since I paid.
When you receive the invitation they have a unit available to ship; They basically issue enough invitations per day to cover the available units plus a little buffer.

From what I can tell, once you pay they'll allocate one to you and you'll get a notice that it's in progress, and another notice once it ships, which is usually the next business day.

You don't pay into you purchase. You're not invited to purchase unless there's stock on hand to ship.
Well, I purchased yesterday, but (thanks to my marathon reading backwards through this thread), I had read about only being able to complete the order if there is stock to fill it.
Good to know, as my purchase was confirmed.
Conveniently, the shooting down of the balloon has allowed me to be looking at this thread ( while watching the coverage) for an extended period without comment. 😉

I'm curious, how many people here will be receiving their first fractal audio product? This is my first Fractal.
I received my FM9T yesterday. It is my first Fractal product. And it is my first real modeler (I did try a Strymon Iridium a couple years ago).

The FM9 is impressive. Ran through a bunch of factory presets which were pretty good. Now I've created my own preset with a couple fender style amps that are close to my real amps (Mesa Fillmore and Suhr Bella) and will take the time to learn the nuances of each model, as I did the real amps, avoiding my initial knee-jerk reaction to race through a million amp models and cabs every 30 seconds. Going to take a similar path with models of the effects pedals I'm used to using -- and then working on switching and layouts. I use an RJM PBC on my pedalboard and many of the concepts are similar though with different terminology. Then expand from there.

My intent is to get the FM9 to sound good through my studio monitors at relatively low volume (<85dB). I've already decided, for now at least, it is a waste of time trying to A/B it with real amps in the room at real volume. Not that the FM9 sounds bad loud, but IRs/mic'd cab models are not the same thing as standing in front of an amp. Different horses for different courses.

Last edited:
I received my FM9T yesterday. It is my first Fractal product. And it is my first real modeler (I did try a Strymon Iridium a couple years ago).

The FM9 is impressive. Ran through a bunch of factory presets which were pretty good. Now I've created my own preset with a couple fender style amps that are close to my real amps (Mesa Fillmore and Suhr Bella) and will take the time to learn the nuances of each model, as I did the real amps, avoiding my initial knee-jerk reaction to race through a million amp models and cabs every 30 seconds. Going to take a similar path with models of the effects pedals I'm used to using -- and then working on switching and layouts. I use an RJM PBC on my pedalboard and many of the concepts are similar though with different terminology. Then expand from there.

My intent is to get the FM9 to sound good through my studio monitors at relatively low volume (<85dB). I've already decided, for now at least, it is a waste of time trying to A/B it with real amps in the room at real volume. Not that the FM9 sounds bad loud, but IRs/mic'd cab models are not the same thing as standing in front of an amp. Different horses for different courses.
The guys at G66 mention that the input levels make a big difference in getting the amp like sound (and feel).

Love this approach you are taking. Yes, right now I'm on the "rifling through all 300 amp models" stage just out of curiosity. However, a few days ago I started to think that what I'm gonna do is just pick one amp model and really drill down on it. How do I intend to do that? Well, there's the old, "throw it in the looper and tweak till you can't stand it anymore" approach, lol, but I intend to look up the actual amp manuals and see if I can start with an amp that has recommended starting point settings for bass, mid, treble, etc, best practices, etc.

So I'll use those settings as a good starting point and make various snapshots from clean to crunch to lead, etc. Learn the ins and outs of the amp(s) and what they like and don't like, how they react to certain changes, etc. If necessary, go through forum posts of others who have tips and tricks for dialing in that amp model. Another place I'll check is Yeks amp model guide as some of the amps do have brief setting suggestions.

Unfortunately some of the Fender amps I have looked up the manual for don't have any setting suggestions as at all. They might as well just say, "Congratulations on your new amp! It's the best. Here is the cord. Plug it into the wall and connect your guitar to the amplifier and have fun!" Okay, I'm exaggerating, but the manuals in these instances aren't very helpful for my application. So in that case I would have to rely more on forum suggestions and just my own ears (obviously we have to dial in with our ears, not our eyes, but I do see some wisdom in finding reasonable starting points as most of these amps I have absolutely no idea where to start and Fractal puts all the settings at noon unless it's in a preset.

One final approach I can take is to copy the amp and/or can settings from a factory preset where I really like the initial sound and then put that into the block library and throw it into my template and see if I can improve on it. Though I'll be honest, a select handful of these presets sound so amazing that I doubt I could improve on them much.

Love this approach you are taking. Yes, right now I'm on the "rifling through all 300 amp models" stage just out of curiosity. However, a few days ago I started to think that what I'm gonna do is just pick one amp model and really drill down on it. How do I intend to do that? Well, there's the old, "throw it in the looper and tweak till you can't stand it anymore" approach, lol, but I intend to look up the actual amp manuals and see if I can start with an amp that has recommended starting point settings for bass, mid, treble, etc, best practices, etc.

So I'll use those settings as a good starting point and make various snapshots from clean to crunch to lead, etc. Learn the ins and outs of the amp(s) and what they like and don't like, how they react to certain changes, etc. If necessary, go through forum posts of others who have tips and tricks for dialing in that amp model. Another place I'll check is Yeks amp model guide as some of the amps do have brief setting suggestions.

Unfortunately some of the Fender amps I have looked up the manual for don't have any setting suggestions as at all. They might as well just say, "Congratulations on your new amp! It's the best. Here is the cord. Plug it into the wall and connect your guitar to the amplifier and have fun!" Okay, I'm exaggerating, but the manuals in these instances aren't very helpful for my application. So in that case I would have to rely more on forum suggestions and just my own ears (obviously we have to dial in with our ears, not our eyes, but I do see some wisdom in finding reasonable starting points as most of these amps I have absolutely no idea where to start and Fractal puts all the settings at noon unless it's in a preset.

One final approach I can take is to copy the amp and/or can settings from a factory preset where I really like the initial sound and then put that into the block library and throw it into my template and see if I can improve on it. Though I'll be honest, a select handful of these presets sound so amazing that I doubt I could improve on them much.
IMHO you can save yourself a lot of time and effort with Austin Buddy's Gold Pack. Its been hugely useful for me, he's already pretweaked several hundred presets of all amp kinds.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've heard of Austin Buddy over on Doug B's YT channel. I had been resisting picking up any amps, presets, etc etc because I haven't even been able to play through all of the amps and cabs in the FM9T even once, much less do deep dives on dialing them in lol, so I thought I should respect the unit and not go down the amp/IR/preset rabbit hole.

HOWEVER, this time may be different. I'm already very pleased with the sounds in the FM9. Getting the Austin Buddy Gold Pack or similar would theoretically save me a lot of time tweaking. But yowsers, $100. Does he ever do any sales or is the price the price? I realize he is the crem de la creme of this sort of thing (as I understand it anyway) so I don't want to say it's not a good value, but yeah.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've heard of Austin Buddy over on Doug B's YT channel. I had been resisting picking up any amps, presets, etc etc because I haven't even been able to play through all of the amps and cabs in the FM9T even once, much less do deep dives on dialing them in lol, so I thought I should respect the unit and not go down the amp/IR/preset rabbit hole.

HOWEVER, this time may be different. I'm already very pleased with the sounds in the FM9. Getting the Austin Buddy Gold Pack or similar would theoretically save me a lot of time tweaking. But yowsers, $100. Does he ever do any sales or is the price the price? I realize he is the crem de la creme of this sort of thing (as I understand it anyway) so I don't want to say it's not a good value, but yeah.
His packs are a bargain. Depending on which pack you buy, it’ll be ready for live performance or recording. Beyond that, they’re great when you need a particular sound because you can reuse blocks in your own presets.

His packs are a bargain. Depending on which pack you buy, it’ll be ready for live performance or recording. Beyond that, they’re great when you need a particular sound because you can reuse blocks in your own presets.
Any particular recommendation if a guy could only get one or the other for now? Do you suggest the naked amps? Or perhaps the Live Gold Tonepack? I may have to go back and listen to that interview again, perhaps.

Any particular recommendation if a guy could only get one or the other for now? Do you suggest the naked amps? Or perhaps the Live Gold Tonepack? I may have to go back and listen to that interview again, perhaps.
I'd suggest you take a look at the product descriptions on his website and see which makes the most sense to you.

Live Gold is about live performance ready presets while Naked Amps is about presenting every amp model in a "how its typically used" scenario.

Hopefully a lot of FM9 babies gonna be born this week!

About the naked amps/tone pack, I'm gonna try to go without it for now. May pick it up on a sale at some point, but here's the thing. A little context is necessary to explain my hesitancy to pick the pack(s) up, it's not the money, I spend tons of money to buy quality gear and software all the time.

Back when I had my Helix floor, I wasted way too much money on stuff like presets from Worship Tutorials,. Glen Delaine, etc etc. It's not that none of them sounded good, there was definitely some good stuff in there, but I think underlying all of the presets and IR purchases was the fact that I just wasn't happy with some of the tones I wasn't able to get with the Helix. In other words, there was a reason I went tone chasing down the preset and IR rabbit hole.

I'm having a completely different experience with the FM9. I no longer feel like I am fighting the unit. Sure, there were, and still are, plenty of great tones to be had out of the Helix and a quick YouTube search will prove that it's definitely possible, it's just always been hard for me to get the same results as everyone else for some reason.

But but now everything has changed. For example, I pulled up Yeks amp guide, noticed that he had a quote from someone in the forum to dial in XYZ tone controls for a high gain setting, so all I did was enter in the same settings. Boom. Wonderful high gain setting. Took literally like a minute or two to dial in. Instant happiness. Could I have continued to tweak the amp and cab block for even better results? Of course, but I no longer feel like I'm constantly compromising between what I'm actually hearing and what I want to hear. I can get crisp drive that actually sounds great to me now. For some reason I really struggled with anything dirtier than edge of breakup with the Helix (typically, not always). And to be clear, I'm not a big high gain guy (I spend a lot more times with cleans), but the FM9 delivers tons of great classic rock tones all the way up to metal. The sound quality is better imo. The Helix always seemed to have some artifacts going on that were tough to dial out. I tried high and low cuts and a ton of tweaking but it usually ended I'm frustration.

Anyway, people say the Helix has a better UI and sure, it's easier to manipulate presets in live use, I suppose, but it's not worth it imo. I find the FM9 to be much easier to actually dial in as far as the actual sound, even if editing in the unit itself is rather confusing to a newcomer like myself. The PC editor is AMAZING and everything about the FM9 has been a breath of fresh air. I can endlessly tweak IF I WANT TO, but I don't feel like I HAVE TO.

Anyway, sorry, this is long, and I've gotten the thread off topic, but for those who are new to the Fractal family of products like myself, let this serve as an encouragement to you as you endure the slow burn of the waitlist. It really is that good.

My FM9 Turbo arrived after sitting in the UPS Building for several days in Fort Worth Terminal Iced in. I let it sit a few days out of the box to let it thaw out lol. Sounds amazing, even more than the FM3 that i do love. I was also thinking about purchasing the Austin Buddy Live Gold. But for now, I would like to use the Fractal Gift of Tone they were so generous in providing and learn how to design my own tones using some of the blocks that sound so amazing. I love learning new things and sometimes its better having others spend time learning your tones and riffs than you spending a lifetime trying to copy other people's tones and riffs. Well worth the wait for a Fantastic Life changing piece of musical magic in a box. Thank You Fractal for all You Do For Us!!!

Well, I thought I was going to be waiting a lot longer to post this message when I joined the waitlist, but...

Waitlist - 10/13/2022 - 9:51am
Invitation - 2/6/2023 - 12:53pm
Purchase - 2/6/2023 - 1:06pm

Now the UPS website will be inundated with tracking refresh requests...

#MassiveUpgrade
#HappyDance
#ImpatientlyWaiting

(all times are US Eastern)

Back
Top Bottom