Volume Swell - delay

Can anyone give me a hand with a preset where I use an expression pedal to do volume swells? I typically use an Ac-30 amp and want can never seem to get drive and delay settings right to make a swell sound good.
Any help would be awesome. Thanks

Can anyone give me a hand with a preset where I use an expression pedal to do volume swells? I typically use an Ac-30 amp and want can never seem to get drive and delay settings right to make a swell sound good.

I do not have an AX8 yet but on my FX2 I have a AC30TB patch with my U2 type delay (.8th note with modulation) 50%mix and FB about 35%then I have a Reverb block using North Church with mix at 25%. I put a Volume block in front of the drive and amp blocks for the swell. The drive is the FAS boost set drive around 2-3 with level at 6-7 to taste. If I want to fill space between songs I add more reverb and sometimes a 2nd delay.

curious what "drive settings" have to do with making delay swells sound good? is there a specific sound you're trying to copy?

the key to delay swells with a pedal is to hit the strings first with the volume pedal completely down, then raise the pedal after you've hit the strings.

can you post a recording of what you have so far? we can then help you better. not sure if it's settings or technique at this point.

Yeah maybe drive isn't as much a part of it per say but wasn't sure about where in the chain to put the volume pedal so that the trails stay going after you pull the pedal back to start position.

I have a preset that does exactly that for exactly that purpose; I'll share it here when I get a chance.

If you want that sound, you'll likely want to also use the multidelay block, and possibly a chorus block. And yes, volume block after amp and before any delays, reverbs, or multidelays.

Ambient Pad

This patch uses 4 scenes and two volume blocks. Volume 1 is attached to External Controller 1, so if you are connecting your exp pedal somewhere else, be sure to change that appropriately. Volume 2 is an auto-swell using the Envelope Controller, and it's activated in Scene 3 and 4. Be sure to adjust the Envelope Controller threshold for your guitar and style if you plan on using it.

In the sample recording, I'm using my USA Gibson LP Special in the middle position, with both tone knobs rolled back significantly. There is no post processing on the recording; it's straight off the AX8 into my interface.

For extra fun, attach an external switch to the hold on either one of the delays or the reverb block, and activate it after lightly swelling in to the root chord. That chord will infinitely continue underneath the rest of your swells.

Scene 1 - Expression pedal controlled swells. Lush, plex diffusor-type trails.
Scene 2 - Expression pedal controlled swells. Shimmer octave trails.
Scene 3 - Envelope controlled auto-swells. Lush, plex diffusor-type trails.
Scene 4 - Envelope controlled auto-swells. Shimmer octave trails.

Ambient Pad.png

Attachments

• Ambient Pad.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 709
Awesome pad here I just stumbled across! Sounds like you're playing Brian Eno's An Ending (Ascent)? It's a great emulation of that pad... maybe just a little bit more of the higher octave voices and it would be spot on

I was just playing some chords that sounded roughly like the video in post #6. But Brian Eno is way hipper than some tutorial video, so yeah, that's what I was playing...

:)

Ambient Pad

This patch uses 4 scenes and two volume blocks. Volume 1 is attached to External Controller 1, so if you are connecting your exp pedal somewhere else, be sure to change that appropriately. Volume 2 is an auto-swell using the Envelope Controller, and it's activated in Scene 3 and 4. Be sure to adjust the Envelope Controller threshold for your guitar and style if you plan on using it.

In the sample recording, I'm using my USA Gibson LP Special in the middle position, with both tone knobs rolled back significantly. There is no post processing on the recording; it's straight off the AX8 into my interface.

For extra fun, attach an external switch to the hold on either one of the delays or the reverb block, and activate it after lightly swelling in to the root chord. That chord will infinitely continue underneath the rest of your swells.

Scene 1 - Expression pedal controlled swells. Lush, plex diffusor-type trails.
Scene 2 - Expression pedal controlled swells. Shimmer octave trails.
Scene 3 - Envelope controlled auto-swells. Lush, plex diffusor-type trails.
Scene 4 - Envelope controlled auto-swells. Shimmer octave trails.

View attachment 30951

This is truly excellent, thanks so much. Did you create this in AX8? Using Fractool, @AlGrenadine 's new conversion program , it just translated perfectly into my AFXII. You should def post this in AXE-Exchange, if you have not yet .....

Back
Top Bottom