Volume Swell - delay

How can I load this into the FX8?

The exact layout and sound isn't possible with an FX8 because it can't do series-parallel routing. A key component is the multidelay being fed straight into a chorus block and then 100% Mix reverb, so you only hear multidelay that is drenched in lushness.

The routing concept in this preset is one of the main reasons I decided to go the AX8 route instead of FX8. Only after I played and felt the modeling did I realize that the AX8 was the right choice for me all along.

I'll upload the individual blocks later today, and I'll see if I can arrange things in a way that provides a similar sound in an FX8-compatible layout.

Ambient Pad

This patch uses 4 scenes and two volume blocks. Volume 1 is attached to External Controller 1, so if you are connecting your exp pedal somewhere else, be sure to change that appropriately. Volume 2 is an auto-swell using the Envelope Controller, and it's activated in Scene 3 and 4. Be sure to adjust the Envelope Controller threshold for your guitar and style if you plan on using it.

In the sample recording, I'm using my USA Gibson LP Special in the middle position, with both tone knobs rolled back significantly. There is no post processing on the recording; it's straight off the AX8 into my interface.

For extra fun, attach an external switch to the hold on either one of the delays or the reverb block, and activate it after lightly swelling in to the root chord. That chord will infinitely continue underneath the rest of your swells.

Scene 1 - Expression pedal controlled swells. Lush, plex diffusor-type trails.
Scene 2 - Expression pedal controlled swells. Shimmer octave trails.
Scene 3 - Envelope controlled auto-swells. Lush, plex diffusor-type trails.
Scene 4 - Envelope controlled auto-swells. Shimmer octave trails.

View attachment 30951

nice

Great sound Phil!
Us FX8 guys would appreciate the blks. if you have time?;)

Haha yeah. My day job is TD at a megachurch, so the holiday season was really busy for me. Here's the individual blocks for FX8 users, as promised.

I modified the concept to make it work around the routing limitations of the FX8. Everything is run straight in a series path, no parallel routing. The Multi-Delay Plex Shift and Reverb are at 100% mix, which means you won't have any dry. Downside - you need to travel your volume swell a little faster. Upside - you can now also play the patch as a pad without any swells (auto or manual).

THE BLOCKS
Place these in sequential order, all in series (not parallel). Add a volume block before all of them, or an analog volume pedal before the FX8 input. Place in the FX loop of your amp if possible. If you have a parallel FX loop in your amp (or a Lehle Parallel L), you can blend in some dry tone for something closer to the original AX8 preset.
  1. Delay 2 (first) - Dual Delay: Dotted 8 and 1/4 parallel
  2. Delay 1 (second) - Mono Tape Delay 275ms
  3. Multi-Delay Plex Shift - X side has 24s decay, 100% diffusion, 100% mix, detuning, but no shifting. Y side has a bit less diffusion, shifts one of the lines up an octave, and cuts some highs to compensate. Use X for the standard pad, Y for the shimmer pad.
  4. Chorus - 100% mix and 32% depth creates a subtle vibrato modulation (it responds differently from the Mod within the Reverb block)
  5. Reverb - Deep Space, High Quality, Echo Density as high as you can afford, 100% mix. 12s decay time, increase for longer swells.
Soundcloud appears to be down at the time of this post. I will upload a recording of this modified preset when they're back up.

1.png
2.png
3.png

Attachments

• Ambient Pad FX8-Delay 2.blk
    541 bytes · Views: 65
  • Ambient Pad FX8-Delay 1.blk
    541 bytes · Views: 54
  • Ambient Pad FX8-Multi-Delay.blk
    843 bytes · Views: 59
  • Ambient Pad FX8-Chorus.blk
    244 bytes · Views: 53
  • Ambient Pad FX8-Reverb.blk
    380 bytes · Views: 56
I do not have an AX8 yet but on my FX2 I have a AC30TB patch with my U2 type delay (.8th note with modulation) 50%mix and FB about 35%then I have a Reverb block using North Church with mix at 25%. I put a Volume block in front of the drive and amp blocks for the swell. The drive is the FAS boost set drive around 2-3 with level at 6-7 to taste. If I want to fill space between songs I add more reverb and sometimes a 2nd delay.
That sounds AWESOME

Can you help me get this patch for an Axe xl plus?

I have access to one at work, but it would be easier if you simply used the 3rd party FracTool software to convert it. I recommend you also reset the amp block and/or select the clean amp of your choice - it's been a few firmwares and I haven't posted an updated preset. Everything else in the preset should translate perfectly across devices and firmwares.

Quick question - This preset is awesome, but I find the amount of the effect is a little overwhelming. What would be your recommended approach for reducing the trails without ruining the effect? I know I can cut my input volume and that will tone down the effect, but that also seems to change the tone a little as well. Would you recommend reducing the time of the reverb? Delay? Reduce them both equally?

I have access to one at work, but it would be easier if you simply used the 3rd party FracTool software to convert it. I recommend you also reset the amp block and/or select the clean amp of your choice - it's been a few firmwares and I haven't posted an updated preset. Everything else in the preset should translate perfectly across devices and firmwares.
I tried to upload it via Fractool and for some reason it wouldn't work. If you ever get a second, I would greatly appreciate it if you could post this preset for Axe FX 2 XL plus. Its a great sound man. Great work!

I know I can cut my input volume and that will tone down the effect, but that also seems to change the tone a little as well. Would you recommend reducing the time of the reverb? Delay? Reduce them both equally?

I'll try to help @philipacamaniac out here a bit: I build my AX8 presets for EXP 1 as the volume control and EXP 2 as my "mix" for the parameters for the parallel ambient chain (MLTDLY > CHORUS > REV) starting at 30%, mid 65% and full 100%. This helps me on the fly change the mixture feeding into the delay block. If you check my original presets out in the following thread, you can add a SCENE modifier to each of the blocks to change it's percentages if you don't have an EXP for it:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/various-ambient-presets.112541/

See post #24 here: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/various-ambient-presets.112541/page-2#post-1467251

Hope that helps, I might be able to get a couple ambient presets posted tonight if I get time to get in front of my AFX II MI.

@ibanezfreak4

Thanks man - I only have one expression pedal. I do understand how to use scene controllers (have done so on other presets to control reverb time/mix), but my question is: What is the best strategy for adjusting the overall trails when you have this many blocks feeding into each other? So, even if I use another expression pedal or scene controllers, which parameter works best for making the trails less overwhelming without losing the thick pad sound? For example, you say you are controlling the "mix" for parameters for the parallel ambient chain - which parameters?

So, even if I use another expression pedal or scene controllers, which parameter works best for making the trails less overwhelming without losing the thick pad sound? For example, you say you are controlling the "mix" for parameters for the parallel ambient chain - which parameters?

Gotcha, there are a couple of ways, here is my method:

The main "ambient" trail that closely mimics a Big Sky cloud reverb [MLTDLY > CHO > REV] mixed at 100% in PARALLEL to your primary signal chain has the MIX level parameters modified. So for my EXP 2, I have the MIX started at 30%, mid 65% and full 100% depending on where the expression pedal is set at any given preset. This can also color your overall tone because of the FX depth you are going for. The "Big Sky" chain I will call it only gets you the 7 sec or so Reverb echo time that you define. My presets are pretty heavy in reverb and I like 7 sec. as my baseline. That gives you a reverb trail, but not a super substantial trail for "echoing" notes.

Now for the delay trail, the "Big Sky" trail all feeds into the DELAY block which has your AMP + CAB signal as well as the BIG SKY trail. I typically use a Vintage Delay at 1/4 notes on X and 1/8 notes on Y to have both within a preset. This is usually mixed at 15-25% to trail the notes longer for big swells. You can ALSO set your EXP 2 to modify the mix amount from Start 15% Mid 20% and End 25% or higher to continue the trail longer. This way, on the fly, you can bring your Reverb/Delay trail FX down or up as you need.

I'll be in my studio tonight if you still want me to get this worked out for ya? This is for an AX8 and you want 4 Scenes that change the level of delay/reverb trails? I can make a pretty sweet Captain Hook 34A ambient preset if you'd like?

Gotcha, there are a couple of ways, here is my method:

The main "ambient" trail that closely mimics a Big Sky cloud reverb [MLTDLY > CHO > REV] mixed at 100% in PARALLEL to your primary signal chain has the MIX level parameters modified. So for my EXP 2, I have the MIX started at 30%, mid 65% and full 100% depending on where the expression pedal is set at any given preset. This can also color your overall tone because of the FX depth you are going for. The "Big Sky" chain I will call it only gets you the 7 sec or so Reverb echo time that you define. My presets are pretty heavy in reverb and I like 7 sec. as my baseline. That gives you a reverb trail, but not a super substantial trail for "echoing" notes.

Now for the delay trail, the "Big Sky" trail all feeds into the DELAY block which has your AMP + CAB signal as well as the BIG SKY trail. I typically use a Vintage Delay at 1/4 notes on X and 1/8 notes on Y to have both within a preset. This is usually mixed at 15-25% to trail the notes longer for big swells. You can ALSO set your EXP 2 to modify the mix amount from Start 15% Mid 20% and End 25% or higher to continue the trail longer. This way, on the fly, you can bring your Reverb/Delay trail FX down or up as you need.

I'll be in my studio tonight if you still want me to get this worked out for ya? This is for an AX8 and you want 4 Scenes that change the level of delay/reverb trails? I can make a pretty sweet Captain Hook 34A ambient preset if you'd like?

That would be awesome! I generally use the Matchless DC30 or Chieftan models but whatever you think sounds good works for me - yes an AX8.

That would be awesome! I generally use the Matchless DC30 or Chieftan models but whatever you think sounds good works for me - yes an AX8.

Give these a shot mate, EXP 1 is the VOL block at the beginning at the chain. If you have no volume, Shunt the Vol/Pan block at the beginning of the chain.

Attachments

• WillR Chieftain Ambien.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 73
  • WillR DC30 Ambien.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 68
  • WillR Hook 342A Ambien.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 66
Back
Top Bottom