[Video] Scene controller tutorial (short)

Smittefar

Axe-Master
I helped @cragginshred to set up some scene controllers, and then @Chiguete asked for the same thing.

I decided to make a video.

I build a preset from scratch with three scenes using the Brit Silver amp (Marshall Silver Jubilee)

1) Clean (ish) with some delay
2) Distorted Rhythm tone with no delay
3) Lead tone with lots of delay

Scene controller 1 is used to set the different tones. Scene controller 2 is used to set the relative levels of the three scenes.

Also, if you want more info on using controllers, you can watch @simeon's great tutorial here

I have attached the final preset.

PS: Please notice how juicy the Brit Silver is on stock settings. I absolutely love it

Attachments

• Scene Controllers Smittefar.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 68
I like the way you're using one scene controller to control multiple settings at the same time, that's pretty advanced, especially dealing with the controller curves is always a bit of a headache for me. With a simple preset like this I would probably have chosen to use multiple delay blocks for different delay levels, just mute the blocks I don't need in a scene and add one or two filter blocks to generate the desired volume boost for the various scenes. I'll keep your approach in the back of my head for presets close to the 90% CPU limit.

I helped @cragginshred to set up some scene controllers, and then @Chiguete asked for the same thing.

I build a preset from scratch with three scenes using the Brit Silver amp (Marshall Silver Jubilee)

Scene controller 1 is used to set the different tones. Scene controller 2 is used to set the relative levels of the three scenes.

Also, if you want more info on using controllers, you can watch @simeon's great tutorial here

PS: Please notice how juicy the Brit Silver is on stock settings. I absolutely love it

Thanks for taking the time to share this, this video is very concise and easy to follow video tutorial so Many Thanks and Kudos!

Its a must do excursive for anyone just learning the AX8, for me I'm so glad I have finally have day off with spare time to spend watching and building these presets alongside you, once completed I went in and tweaked some of the tones and settings to suite my sound and its really given me the preverbal "light Bulb" over my head!

As for the second video I suspect I need to watch it quite a few times before I can get any of those master mod and synth settings but look forward being able to drill down under the hood of this crazy device...

Cheers

Hi guys, thanks for all the positive replys. It makes it all worth it :)

@ChristThePhone , I agree that for a simple preset like this, it would probably be easier to just add a few filter blocks and turn the delay on and off (you could still vary the delay amount with a scene controller). It's two different ways of doing the same thing, and sometimes, I prefer one over the other. It varies. Multiple filter/EQ blocks can quickly get confusing, especially if you edit on the unit. If you have four or five scenes with different gain and levels controllled by filter/EQ blocks, it can be really difficult to figure out, which blocks belong together and soforth. It may (or may not) be a little bit easier to keep track of your scene controllers. Sometimes, I just attach one scene controller to input gain (amp block), and the other one to level (cab block). Then, I just go into the scene controller menu to set gain and levels for each scene. That works quite well for getting an overview. With careful settings for the start, mid and end settings, you might even attach scene controller 1 to both input gain and cab level, and keep a constant output level at varying gain settings. That might be nice.

@Moke, beta testing your presets has been an inspiration and surely a big kick in the butt to force myself to learn the deeper workings of the unit. Many of you presets contain really advanced and quite elegant solutions to common challenges. "Kristian Mokesson" would be a quite good Viking name, I think :p

Precious tips! Thank you!

Great tutorial! I really wish, FAS would rename these controller names! Controller names like Scene1 collidate with the Scene1/2/3/4.../8 nomenclature, IMO. "Scenecontrol A" and "Scenecontrol B" or at least "Scene A & B" or something would eliminate this danger of confusion, i oftenly read about from many users in different forums...

Last edited:
Hi guys, thanks for all the positive replys. It makes it all worth it :)

@ChristThePhone , I agree that for a simple preset like this, it would probably be easier to just add a few filter blocks and turn the delay on and off (you could still vary the delay amount with a scene controller). It's two different ways of doing the same thing, and sometimes, I prefer one over the other. It varies. Multiple filter/EQ blocks can quickly get confusing, especially if you edit on the unit. If you have four or five scenes with different gain and levels controllled by filter/EQ blocks, it can be really difficult to figure out, which blocks belong together and soforth. It may (or may not) be a little bit easier to keep track of your scene controllers. Sometimes, I just attach one scene controller to input gain (amp block), and the other one to level (cab block). Then, I just go into the scene controller menu to set gain and levels for each scene. That works quite well for getting an overview. With careful settings for the start, mid and end settings, you might even attach scene controller 1 to both input gain and cab level, and keep a constant output level at varying gain settings. That might be nice.

@Moke, beta testing your presets has been an inspiration and surely a big kick in the butt to force myself to learn the deeper workings of the unit. Many of you presets contain really advanced and quite elegant solutions to common challenges. "Kristian Mokesson" would be a quite good Viking name, I think :p

Hi Smittefar, wanted to let u know that got a big jolt of inspiration after I had created that patch in your tutorial & took your preset and personalized it a bit, I'm loving that amp and speaker combo its sssoooo how I like my sound... so thought I would share for the new B's or anyone just interested in what a new B can do in a short amount of time...
Happy New Year,

Attachments

• 3-Scene-Cln-Dst-Dst+.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 15
Good as gold! 5 minutes that change your approach to the system. Way better than "blockmania" and as good as a sticky.
On another note: It depends on the amp, but sometimes an amp + drive combo sounds better to me. Would be nice to see how your approach is to this scenario - with few blocks and both scene controllers.

Thanks a bunch and happy new year!

Last edited:
My template has Scene Controller 1 attached to Amp Input Drive, which is always my first go to for more gain in a scene. I usually stack Drive pedals in addition to automating the Input Drive.

It works well because I go from chimey edge of breakup (which can cleanup with a lighter touch on the neck pickup) to really chimey crunch - I don't imagine it would work as well for people who want crystal clean to death metal destruction.

Great tutorial! I really wish, FAS would rename these controller names! Controller names like Scene1 collidate with the Scene1/2/3/4.../8 nomenclature, IMO. "Scenecontrol A" and "Scenecontrol B" or at least "Scene A & B" or something would eliminate this danger of confusion, i oftenly read about from many users in different forums...
I very much agree with this comment. That was the source of my initial confusion.

Back
Top Bottom