Version 6.00 Preview

excellent!

lots of isolated guitar tracks on youtube now...presumably taken from that rock band game all the kids are playing these days.

check out tony iommi's guitar on "children of the grave" - yow...nasty! :)

iron maiden, zeppelin, megadeth, lots of van halen, rush...lots to choose from! now if i could only find some holdsworth... :)

excellent!

lots of isolated guitar tracks on youtube now...presumably taken from that rock band game all the kids are playing these days.

iron maiden, zeppelin, megadeth, lots of van halen, rush...lots to choose from! now if i could only find some holdsworth... :)

Exactly :) But i hope for everybody will be clear that they will do the tone-matching on its own. sharings will not work, because every guitar has another frequency - so that will "kill" the matching ... right?!

This will be the most powerful FW update on an Axe FX EVER!

6.0 will reinvent the Axe-FX II; even 'just' the modeling. No hype, no BS. We all win.

Stay tuned... (I am on radio silence and cannot/will not answer questions more specifically).

Scott. As soon as the cats out of the bag, send us the cat... lol, I'm not even sure what that means hahah. You had me at "reinvent"

It is a new block that "listens" to two different input sources. Source ""X" is the tone you are matching to. The other source "Y" is the output of an amp block. After the matching is complete it then applies the tone match to Y so that it sounds like X.

A great thing about this method is the Tone Match IR is embedded in the preset itself. So it's not like it is with user cabs where you have to exchange both preset and cab to get the right tone.

We'll go into more detail when the firmware is ready to release as subtle usability things might change.

Ok! Does it eat alot of CPU? The II is already running out of power on with the reason additions like dynamics, speaker drive etc. I'm already maxing out the CPU in all my presets, even with low res cab, ring mod instead of pitch block for octave effects, X/Y switching etc.

Last edited:
Am I correct in assuming that this won't be usable for power-amp/guitar cabinet users?
Why? Tone match and Amp match could be use to reinforce the character of a model. Capture the tone of a Twin then apply it with the fender models of your Axe. It works fine for the Ultra and correct the cock wah sound of the unit when used with poweramp and cab. I actually like better my Ultra with tone matching/amp matching than my Axe II. Perhaps V6 makes me like the Axe II more. Believe me if it works as good with the Axe II then it works with the Ultra you will have glorious tone without tweaking extended parameters with your poweramp and cab. This is IMO a strong point for this kind of use.

6.0 will reinvent the Axe-FX II; even 'just' the modeling. No hype, no BS. We all win.

Stay tuned... (I am on radio silence and cannot/will not answer questions more specifically).

Nice work!
Scott, you've said that a couple times about reinventing "just" the modeling.
I'm really looking forward to that conversation when it comes up.

It's really unbelievable to me that this thing is not even a year old yet and we are already talking about version 6 of the firmware. Shows the commitment to squeeze everything out of this box and why it is money well spent. Who else does 2 major firmware updates in a year?? Fantastic!

Also...I don't own a Eddie "super-strat" style guitar. I used a PRS SC245 for this which has a humbucker in the bridge but otherwise is quite a different instrument from Eddie's frankenstein. Solid tailpiece instead of a trem, glue on instead of bolt-on neck, mahogany body, etc. So it would probably be even closer if I actually had the right guitar!

First thought I had: Single coil versus humbucker. Good to know your using a completely different guitar than EVH.

Sounds incredible! Amazing that this is matched from a youtube clip.

excellent!

Now we'll have a good excuse to buy Guitar Hero.
I'm going to work on some colored button skillzzzz...

Last edited:
Why? Tone match and Amp match could be use to reinforce the character of a model.

I haven't used it but I assumed (perhaps errantly) that it wouldn't be useful for the same reason that cabinet impulses aren't useful if you're using a guitar cabinet- because you have the sound of two cabinets in series which works but doesn't generally sound good.

Some folks still tell me my FAS gear cost too much. Really? What would just one possible rig you can build like this cost? Incredibly cost-efficient in my estimation.

Indeed as a new Axe XII user I was playing around today with the Plexi amp, very impressive when you consider one is up for sale on ebay.co.uk at the moment for £7,999.00. The Axe 2 isn't expensive its a fantastic value considering what is in it and what can be done with it. Now news of 6.0 and I am blown out with 5.07 and haven't scratched the surface yet. Fractal thanks for this terrific product.

Wow!! I'm really looking forward to messing with this. How would you match a real amp in your possession? I'm thinking from what I've read you'd have to record it and then pipe it into the Axe or is there another mechanism?

Dave

I hope it will take place under the voice parameter and will disable the neutral voicing.

The voice parameter is in the amp block. Tone Match is a totally separate new block. And, neutral voicing is neutral, nothing is being done to the tone if its set to neutral.

I haven't used it but I assumed (perhaps errantly) that it wouldn't be useful for the same reason that cabinet impulses aren't useful if you're using a guitar cabinet- because you have the sound of two cabinets in series which works but doesn't generally sound good.
I tested it with my Ultra.(my amp matching process is perhaps different from the Fractal one) It works really fine and actually as i said gives me better result than the Axe II with a poweramp and a cab. I don't speak here for FRFR, i'm not into that kind of use of the Axe-fx. The FW11 of the Ultra sound thin and has a cock wah character that you can hear when you use it with a poweramp and a cab. You can of course correct it with the internal EQ etc...but it works so much better with an IR. IMO you have to consider tone matching as a sophisticated and powerfull EQ.

Back
Top Bottom