Version 6.0 is Great!!

I really don't get this... so far I think 6.0 sounds nasty.. fizzy and woolly...
gonna noodle with it some more..
maybe there's something I'm doing wrong...

Seems a lot thicker and less bright, and in general a lot dirtier for a given configuration. But a lot of the new factory presets sound great, so it's really just a matter of adjustment I think.

Super quick review after 5 mins. The AC15 and Top Boost sound MUCH better imho along with the HBE and the 1987x Treble (which has become one of my favorite presets). Of course I will need MUCH more time. The Fender amps seems a little rounder/duller to my ears but I need to tweak to my system. So far, VERY GOOD!
The feel overall is super slick / slinky / greasy... very nice.

You guys have no idea how much work went into this firmware. The entire power amp modeling was rewritten. The transformer modeling is all new. Etc.

Actually I think we (or at least most of us) do. The problem is that you keep setting the bar higher for yourself and this is now the expectation. Not that I am complaining :) Keep it up!

Almost everything has been reworked. Almost all the "real" amps are "matched" to the actual amp. This involved much more than just Tone Matching. It also included gain matching, harmonic content matching, tone-stack matching, etc., etc.

You guys have no idea how much work went into this firmware. The entire power amp modeling was rewritten. The transformer modeling is all new. Etc.

You know, I'm playing for 20 years, and collecting gear for a decade, and I still claim total ignorance when it comes to what makes an amp tick, let alone what must go into recreating one in the digital realm. Its tough to cater to an audience that can't fully appreciate what you put into a product or service, no matter what field. But I think the clips, client lists, and celebrity lists speak for themselves....so on my humble level of understanding, I thank you.

"FractalAudio" "Almost everything has been reworked. Almost all the "real" amps are "matched" to the actual amp. This involved much more than just Tone Matching. It also included gain matching, harmonic content matching, tone-stack matching, etc., etc.

You guys have no idea how much work went into this firmware. The entire power amp modeling was rewritten. The transformer modeling is all new. Etc."

You are sooo... absolutely right. 99.% of us, (myself included) have not a clue what it actually took on your part and all the others as well to make this what it is. I don't have any money to offer for another Axe but I'd love to buy you a extra large latte... or whatever your fancy is... if you're ever in my neck of the woods which is "the armpit of Ontario, Canada".

Much sincere thanks Cliff!

Peace brother.

Thank you to Cliff and the Fractal team! I haven't even loaded 6.0 yet, but I know it will be AMAZING, so THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!

Seems a lot thicker and less bright, and in general a lot dirtier for a given configuration. But a lot of the new factory presets sound great, so it's really just a matter of adjustment I think.
don't forget, that the tone controls and Drive react almost exactly now as they do on their real life counterparts. settings which worked pre 6.0 may not work any longer. this really is important to keep in mind.

one example that really surprised me during beta-testing was how the SLO's controls are so much like the original's now.

I didn't get very far. I liked everything I heard, but then I just felt like playing and not fiddling with settings. I didn't think there was much room for improvement, but I've learned not to doubt Cliff at his word. I have never liked the stock Eruption preset, and I did end up switching the amp to the Friedman HBE, but man it's really close now, even with my fumbling around. I think we're at the point that my ears are going to be the weak link pretty soon.

Can really here the difference with the Rockerverb sim. It is night and day to what it was before (watch, that one hasn't changed). I had always felt that was one sim that was never quite right. I could get it there before by jacking up the lowcut, but now sounds like I expected it to right out of the box.

Getting more kerrrang out of the plexi treble as well.

Very nice indeed.

Congratulations Cliff. All the hard work shows! I can't imagine how back breaking this was and how many headaches it took to get this far. It must of been miserable but the dedication really shows in this release. loads of fun and totally obvious. You and the folks at fractal should be very proud!

Back
Top Bottom