Version 6.0 is Great!!

The presets sound much better - ergo insaaaaanly fantastalicious!! I don't know what to do with this thing now, it's too awesome. It's like dialing in something on a diamond.

Whatever you do it's still so shiny and nice. In some angles I can see the rainbow and fractures of light in ways my eyes can barely handle. The sound is so nice

and sparkly. It's like adding the midnight sky with stars on it, to an already beautiful nocturne. My eyes, my eyes are shattered with tears of fulfillment.
I love the visuals. Thank you.

guys I really don't get this... my axe [even with the 6.0 presets] now sounds like a bass kazoo...
Whoops. I meant this as a response to Triaxis75, but quoted Clarky. Sorry.

Anyway, Clarky had said he updated everything, sounded bad, so he re-updated the firmware and it fixed it. His description sounded like yours Triaxis.... Dunno. I guess I can only hope your situation gets fixed.

Also, IMO you might want to be sure and don't have the Axe Edit running while gauging problems.

Last edited:
Wow, just finished tweaking my presets through K12s. CPR-TS-Plexi-412Cali-delay-verb.

FFFNNNN RAWK!!!!

Eric J cleans Awwwww nice!
I dont need my EVMS to cloud it!!
Using Hi and low cuts in amp instead of globals.
FAT so nice for solo's

You did it Cliff!

was it just fairly "woofy" sounding or did it sound like a busted elevator speaker?

The reason I ask is because most of mine, except for the naturally bright presets, sound muffled/nasal-y. It may be something to the effect, i guess, to where I could change my global EQ to somewhat accomodate it but I just wanted to make that I wasn't having the same issue.

What I've had to do so far is lower the global low end a small amount so far, raise the input trim about 30%, increase the low cut considerably, increase definition by 20%, increase presence blah blah blah.. to get a basic canvas to work with.

In hind site it sounds silly now but.... to everyone else... is that a reasonable amount of adjustments to start of with??

**Added Note for Clarification***
It is something that I AM doing wrong, not the box. I am mostly dumb to these issues. If it came with crayons, I could draw Love and Warfare for you.....

-Updated firmware
-then updated axe-edit
-then updated mfc
-then reset parameters on unit and mfc

my initial sound on the 'broke' 6.0 update was an odd sound...
the best way I can describe it was that it sounded like an old fuzz pedal being played directly into a mixing desk, with the bass and mids flat out and no top with a guitar on neck pup and the tone rolled back..
it wasn't natural at all.. no matter what you tweaked the tone was the same.. and with minor variations the tone was the same with every amp type..
disabling the poweramp stage of the amp block got rid of the bad tone [but that's no 'fix' really]..
something was certainly going very wrong in the poweramp modelling..
I did consider simply reinstalling but then it occurred to me that maybe the download itself wasn't right..
so rather than waste time, I re-downloaded and re-installed and everything was fine..
and now I'm a happy bunny..
so far, I'm liking 6.0.. still trying to recover my tone.. but given that I'm new to the Axe I was in the 'tone searching' phase anyhow..
so overall the tone change that came with 6.0 hasn't caused me any major probs... and I'm not familiar enough with 5.07 to be able to tell much of a difference across the board...
it does seem though that 6.0 is fatter and more aggressive.. which for me is a good thing...

EDIT: my upgrade path was:
AxeII then Axe-Edit, then MFC

i re-downloaded and re-installed,reset,more than 10 times and still sound bad,tried back to 5.7 and i have no more presets. don't know what to do?

Last edited:
jeez... out of the pan and into the fire.... ! ! ! !

so... my first experience with 6.0 was not great....
after the re-load things were much improved... but very different....
so this means I have to re-dial in the tones I'll looking for...

to make life easy and tidy I have my AmpLab preset..
it's just a pair of amps, dual delay and stereo cab..
I start with amp1 in mono, delay bypassed and dial up a nice riffing tone..
then I save the block..
I end up with:
- JMP-1
- VH4
- JVM OD2
- Uber

then I un-bypass amp2 and the delay
pan amp1 L and amp2 R
then via the 'block library' I start goofing with combinations to see what guys play nice....

and now... I'm abso-fkn-lootlee spoilt for choice...
there are so many utterly stunning combinations I'm seriously struggling to make a decision...

thanks FAS.... you've replaced one prob with another... LMAO ! ! ! !

"The entire power amp modeling was rewritten."
To me this is the best thing about the newest firmware. The power amp modeling sounds more organic and powerampish (technical term) than before. The axe now sounds and feels like my JVM. Outstanding!

I really don't get this... so far I think 6.0 sounds nasty.. fizzy and woolly...
gonna noodle with it some more..
maybe there's something I'm doing wrong...

I am have the same issues with all the higher gain stuff. The fizzy sizzle in everything is killing me. I've spent hours a day trying to dial it out and it sounds awful and can't get rid of it. Maybe redownload and start over? That underline fuzzy sizzle sounds like garbage and only got it to go away by totally turning off the poweramp sims.

Last edited:
I am have the same issues with all the higher gain stuff. The fizzy sizzle in everything is killing me. I've spent hours a day trying to dial it out and it sounds awful and can't get rid of it. Maybe redownload and start over? That underline fuzzy sizzle sounds like garbage and only got it to go away by totally turning off the poweramp sims.

you have to note that when I wrote that post my Axe had a duff fw load in it.. the tone of everything was essentially broke..
life in 6.0 for us hi-gainers is real different because of the extra gain coming from the pre-amp..
to my ears it's not different in a good way initially.. but I think I've overcome it..
"the fizz".. you can mitigate it by using much much lower master volume settings..
the extra gain from the power amp kinda interferes with the preamp gain, kills the sensitivity, sucks out the low end and pushes the mids..
try using master volume settings between 1.0 and 3.0.. and then raise the level control to put the volume back..
this will clean up the power amp so you'll get more pre-amp hi-gain..
you can also go to the EQ page and drop the 8k band by a few dB to de-fizz..
another thing that makes quite a difference is the choice of amp type, mic and proximity as some combinations are naturally a little more prone to accentuate the fizz than others...
another good de-fizzing tool is the Triode 2 Plate Freq control in the power amp page.. try knocking that back to around 8000..

you have to note that when I wrote that post my Axe had a duff fw load in it.. the tone of everything was essentially broke..
life in 6.0 for us hi-gainers is real different because of the extra gain coming from the pre-amp..
to my ears it's not different in a good way initially.. but I think I've overcome it..
"the fizz".. you can mitigate it by using much much lower master volume settings..
the extra gain from the power amp kinda interferes with the preamp gain, kills the sensitivity, sucks out the low end and pushes the mids..
try using master volume settings between 1.0 and 3.0.. and then raise the level control to put the volume back..
this will clean up the power amp so you'll get more pre-amp hi-gain..
you can also go to the EQ page and drop the 8k band by a few dB to de-fizz..
another thing that makes quite a difference is the choice of amp type, mic and proximity as some combinations are naturally a little more prone to accentuate the fizz than others...
another good de-fizzing tool is the Triode 2 Plate Freq control in the power amp page.. try knocking that back to around 8000..

clarky,

I'm sure schlagdog would've been a lot happier if you had never figured out that 6.0 sounded excellent, so that you could've been his "contrarian-friend-in-misery" - LOL!

Then again, he's the only one around here who knows anything about what a real amp (I.E. Mesa Rectifier type) is supposed to sound like...

Bill

Back
Top Bottom