Version 6.0 is Great!!

thing is with v5.0.x, v6.0, real amps, and other fx units too....
it's real easy to make them all sound nasty...
in fact.. I reckon it's easier to make them sound bad than to make them sound great..
making stuff sound great is an art.. something I personally find very difficult..
personally I try not to get too hung up on it..
I just try to get as close as I can tone and feel wise and then:
Live - if you're feeling great and playing great, pretty much no one notices or gives a crap about your tone [within reason.. lol..]
Studio - you have a lot of tools available to fix things up and improve things [especially if you monitor with your fave tone for the feel but record dry so you can reamp and fix it later]

I reinstalled again last night and still the fizz continues. I'm turning the presence completely, adjusted the EQ, messed with hi cut in the power section and it's still too fizzy. It doesn't seem to matter anything I adjust seems to have the same fizz to it. I used to use the Über model as my main tone and now I can't get a single good tone with it. So far the only way to get the fizz out was disable the power amp sim completely and use one of my own cab IR's. Which is not exactly utilizing the AXEFX to its fullest. The adjustment must be in the poweramp section but cant seem to find it and I've run through anything that would cut that fizz out. Like I said I used to really like the Über and used it with my poweramp through a cab and direct. Now I can't get a usable tone from it after hours of tweaking every single day.

have you tried:
- lowering the master vol in the basic page to a value less than 3
- turning triode 2 down to values between 7000 and 9000 in the poweramp page
- lower the 8k band by a couple of dB in the amp EQ page

funny you mention the Uber... I discovered it in 5.07 and thought that it had possibilities...
I can't get along with it now.. and like yourself I struggled to get the required gain without an intrusive fizz..

here's an idea I've not tried yet [but maybe should do]
maybe try changing the power amp model.. maybe there's something in there that'd be a more pleasent match..

also... looking into cabs / mics / proximity settings...

I swapped out the 1960b V30 with the 4x12 Ultra and it helpped a lot.. you will need to goof with mic / prox settings though

When I'm off work in 12 hours I'll start running through the power amp section again. I have already been through it though basically adjusting everything just to see if I could get it out. I use a Mosvalve 500 poweramp when I run it into my cab. I used to run the Mosvalve with the presence set on about 2:00. I tried matching the presence I get when I run it through any of my actual heads power sections and 2:00 made it match up pretty nicely across the board. I was playing it last night with the presence off. That is a setting that usually sounds like you put a blanket over your cab. It made it more usable but still too much fizz too it. This is the main amp model I have used since November and not I can't dial it in and it's not the only model with too much fizz now. When I get home I will reinstall the firmware for the 3rd time and start over again.

my first 'bad upgrade' was obviously bad... cos it was horrific...
my good upgrade has the 'fizz' on all the hi-gain amps..
it's not a nice fizz either but I have managed [I think] to sort it out..

another thing you can try is a PEQ block
maybe try creating a 'shelf' that falls away with the higher freqs..

if you have a spectrum analyser [like you have in Logic] you can record the audio and take a look at it..
failing that.. grab a PEQ, use band 3, set a very tight Q [4 or higher] so you have a needle thin band..
boost it by 12dB
then starting at 1KHz, slowly increase the freq until you can isolate the freq/s where the fizz is most abrasive..

things to note:
- your 'definition' / edge will be in the 2KHz to 3 KHz area, you don't want to be cutting that..
- your 'air' / presence is where the driven tone generates it's energy and that will be in the 5KHz to 7KHz area.. you may want to trim this just a little..
- I'll guess [not having done a freq sweep] that the 'fizz' could be somewhere in the 6KHz to 9KHz area which may be where you want your 'ramp off' to start getting steeper..

the thing with the some of the lo freq / hi freq settings in the amp / cab blocks, is that I'll guess they are high pass / low pass filters..
and that may be too strong.. you don't want to kill an overdriven tone's fizz... you just want to get it under control..

another thing on my list of things to try, is to limit the freq range coming from the actual guitar..
maybe tame the highs a little..
I've not tried this with a PEQ / GEQ yet... but I have had success placing a compressor before the amp..
some gentle compression kinda smoothed things up a little first...
and also.. the bi-product of compression is that is surpresses the higher freqs..

The fizz is not a good fizz. I agree with you on that, it is a weird frequency that seems to always be present do far. It's like the buzz you get from the stock V30 in the AXEFX then with the saturation on and in a tighter range but in the amp model itself no matter what cab you use.

Last edited:
Schlagdog - just messed with the Uber

cut triode 2 to around 7000
cut the presence to 1 or less

amp block EQ page:
63 - boost a little
125 - boost a little
250 - cut a little
500 - cut a little
1k - 0
2k - big boost [to put back definition]
4k - moderate boost [to add edge]
8k - large cut [-8 or more]

use the 4x12 ultra, 87A Cond, prox=5

Isn't that a little crazy to completely destroy the model to have to get the buzz out? I have been looking and MANY MANY people are having the same problem with the fizzy over saturation. You shouldn't have to completely gut a stock setting of every single high gain amp model to fix the fizz problem. The FAS modern and FAS DAS Metal are even worse than the uber. I was just using that one as an example because it is my go to sound. Someone else installed 5.07 again then reinstalled 6 and said it helped a little. FRACTAL finally took some notice into the fizz also finally. I'll go back to 5 and record it and then go to 6 and record it tonight and post an example so people might understand.

maybe my thoughts on all this sort of thing are a little different to most folk... and that's ok..
for me personally.. I'm not a purest or anything like that....
if the 'name' of any amp / cab type is Marshall or Boogie etc.. I'm not really that worried...
I've never tried or bought into the LP through a Marshall / Strat through a tweed thing..
I've never been interested in trying to reproduce any specific tones using exactly the kit [real or modelled] of my heroes...
my heroes are what they are... and I'm just me..
I just want my own tone... it don't matter to me what the names on the boxes are or where the knobs and buttons are...
I just fiddle until something sounds good to me...
I just don't get the whole "isn't that just like a Mark IIC" thing...
if other folk want to do that.... that's cool... each to their own.... it's just not for me... I simply don't have the time or interest in that sort of thing..
I just want a tone to adore and to riff silly...
and another that makes me want to shred the neck to splinters....

I'm with you dude. I just go to which model I think sounds best to me. I used a bunch of the high gain amp models before. I'm sure FRACTAL will figure something out. There are a bunch of people now on the board posting about the treble fizz now.

in truth, I've not had a traditional guitar amp since the early 90's....

I think my last regular amp was a Laney 100W combo... it was ok.. I had a few stomps in front of it.. a Wah, Metalizer, chorus, flanger and delay.. and a channel switch..
I got tired of doing the river dance to get from rhythm to solo and back.. so I looked for an alternative...
a pal introduced me to the Roland GP-16 [which I still have]... back then it was cutting edge.. all your stomps [and some] in the same box....
for me that was the start of the whole 'sculpt your tone' trip...
once I discovered the power of parameter control in real-time I just never looked back.. and kept moving forwards.. 2120.. VG-99... Axe-II...
I don't want a guitar amp and and haven't been interested in them since the GP-16...
guitar amps and stomps just seemed to me to be a big ol' pile of limitations...
only a few years ago did a guitar amp really hit the spot for me tone wise... when I first met the VH4... ooooh that channel 3 tone... angry but so beautiful....
but there's no way to control all that in real-time... so.... functionally it's not good to me.. and that was just too bad...
so I went back home, jacked straight back into the 2120, was a happy bunny and forgot about it...

to me... a multi-fx unit is a bunch of noise making capabilities... it either has the capabilities I need or it don't...
and if it don't I won't look at it....
I recall hearing that the GSP-1101 was coming out... I was really fired up cos I love Digitech kit [2101, 2112, 2120]...
I downloaded the manual... read it.. immediately saw the limitations and so I didn't even bother trying one out..
It was the same with the G-System... couldn't meet my needs so I never tried that out either [despite it's very high quality tone]..

anyways... I'm rambling... lol...

I do think the fizz is a bit of an issue... it can be largely dialled out.. but it takes some messing with...
to be real honest... it don't worry me.. cos I dialled it out... lol..

tonal utopia for me is the VH4 chan 3 to riff with... and the sweet silky smooth Herbert chan 3 with boost for solos...

EDIT: a pal of mine in Dallas has a 5150... and I have to say I really enjoyed noodling with that one too...

Last edited:
Different tastes in sound

I knew this was gonna happen .
When they finally managed to get the poweramp to deliever what was missing , I knew people that hadn´t played with old cranked tube amps would say it sounds to nasty.

Why not borrow an old marshal or vox and crank it untill you get poweramp distorsion. You will find it´s not as cute sounding as FW5,07 . I promise you.
It´s a lot nastier . That´s why we used them for rock´n roll . They roar and sizzle . Try it in a mix (musical context) and see how it works.

Even modern amps have it (in the preampdistorsion) .
Take a rectifier or a Soldano and turn them up ,that´s sizzle for shure .

I can (if you want ) put out som clips with poweramp distorsion (small el84 amp)and you will hear. I admit when listening to that amp by itself it can sound a little scary . But when you listen to the mix it all of a sudden works better than anything.

Mayby you just prefer the traditionall modeler-sound in stead of real tube amp´s.
I´ve been missing this real highfreqency content for years and never knew if It was possible to get it out of these units.
I think it´s easier to cut all highs here and there to get a sweet and cute sound (a la tubescreamer) rather than trying to bring something out that just is not there , like in FW 5.

(I never owned a Uber (is it an eng model) so I cannot say how it sounds.)

Last edited:
I can (if you want ) put out som clips with poweramp distorsion (small el84 amp)and you will hear. I admit when listening to that amp by itself it can sound a little scary . But when you listen to the mix it all of a sudden works better than anything.

Please do, that would be awesome!

Different tastes in sound

I knew this was gonna happen .
When they finally managed to get the poweramp to deliever what was missing , I knew people that hadn´t played with old cranked tube amps would say it sounds to nasty.

Why not borrow an old marshal or vox and crank it untill you get poweramp distorsion. You will find it´s not as cute sounding as FW5,07 . I promise you.
It´s a lot nastier . That´s why we used them for rock´n roll . They roar and sizzle . Try it in a mix (musical context) and see how it works.

So true !!

I am using a pair of KRK and both the presets for 5.xx and 6 are harsh into these monitors.
IMHO because of the cabs (V30) which are selected in the presets (probably the same cabs are used for auditioning while dialing the factory presets).

But I do not see a problem here, select another cabs etc.

Back
Top Bottom