Version 10.00 Stuff

I don't know when this pic was taken, but this is JP back in March of last year. Keep in mind I'm 6' 6"... FWIW, I've lost about 30 pounds since this video. That wasn't really necessary to mention except to diminish my own self consciousness of my appearance at the time. I've also 'bulked up' a bit. He definitely does look much larger in this pic than when I met him last year.

He really started to bulk up at first after the TOT album back in 2003. Sometime after the ensuing tour. At least that is when I noticed it.

shotgunn meets John Petrucci - YouTube

311881_267416403300210_100000955568297_747203_1102940329_n_zps05ca076d.jpg

I see muscles, I see beard...

I know its going to be good. Waiting patently, but still tapping my foot lol..
AE TNP and 10.0 come to daddy!!

With no disrespect to your friend at all, I spent a day with Thomas Nordegg (Vai's tech) and Vai, and that's completely innacurate. He uses his Legacy amps and uses the Axe FX for effects and controls the entire rig with his Fractal MFC-101.

I know this whole discussion was kind of a while ago- but after comming back from NAMM...
After a conversation I had- I know for certain Vai is only using the Axe live for effects only.
All the preamp stuff is coming from the Carvin. Even though others close to him have suggested using the preamps built in, he still insists on the Carvins.

I know this whole discussion was kind of a while ago- but after comming back from NAMM...
After a conversation I had- I know for certain Vai is only using the Axe live for effects only.
All the preamp stuff is coming from the Carvin. Even though others close to him have suggested using the preamps built in, he still insists on the Carvins.
See...there's this thing about endorsements.

You sometimes can get paid for them.

Considering how big coleman is.....petrucci doesnt look small at all! Wow....coleman must be his trainer. And theres no way JP got that bulked up without some hot sace

You can do a lot in 10 years of working your ass off to get bigger. Someone previously said he started in 2003.

How does mimic effect FAS amps if they are not real world devices, or does it?

At the bottom end, it's a transformation of real world data into the axefx code - MIMIC is a digital implementation of parasite effects inducted by the components in an amp circuit, to get more accurate sonic response....FAS amps were made by tweaking the code the way CC likes it to get some kind of a "virtual custom made amp". ;)

Oh man this is getting ridiculous.

I feel like buying another Axe 2 even though I've already got one just to fund Fractal even more haha.

Still lots to do. I have some amps coming in and I still have a bunch of amps to put through the MIMIC process.

This is what I have so far:

NOTE: THIS IS A MAJOR FIRMWARE UPDATE, PARTICULARLY IN REGARDS TO AMPLIFIER MODELING. THIS FIRMWARE MAY, AND PROBABLY WILL, CHANGE THE SOUND OF EXISTING PRESETS. YOU SHOULD AUDITION ALL YOUR PRESETS AFTER INSTALLATION AND CHECK FOR PROPER OPERATION AND TONE. AN AMP MODEL CAN BE RESET BY TEMPORARILY CHANGING THE AMP TYPE AND THEN CHANGING BACK TO THE DESIRED TYPE. THIS WILL LOAD THE MODEL WITH DEFAULT PARAMETERS.

Implemented “Multi-point Iterative Matching and Impedance Correction” technology (MIMIC, TM, Patent Applied For) to amp models. MIMIC applies analytic signals to an amplifier and captures the fine nuances of each amp at various points in the circuit and corrects each model vs. its theoretical implementation. In some cases the difference can be substantial, in other cases the difference is minimal. This depends on the layout of the amp and the various parasitics involved. MIMIC has the advantage of applying these corrections at the appropriate location in the amp model rather than as just an output EQ so that the various controls of the model behave virtually identically to the actual amp. For example, the Modern modes of a Dual Rectifier are highly sensitive to Master Volume with the tone becoming thicker as the MV is increased. MIMIC preserves this behavior rather than just getting louder as the Master Volume is increased.

Fixed a myriad of mistakes in the amp models as MIMIC also identifies when there are significant deviations between the theoretical model and the actual amp.

Models now default to a starting Master Volume setting when selected. Also, the proper setting for non-MV amps is now a Master Volume setting of 10.0. Non-MV amps, therefore, will default to a value of 10.0 when selected. Furthermore, the MV taper for amps with master volume controls now matches the actual amp. If more MV drive is desired for non-MV amps, the new MSTR VOL TRIM parameter in the Advanced GUI page can be used to increase (or decrease) the Master Volume.

Tweaked power amp modeling slightly to increase even-order harmonics. This makes most models “sweeter”.

Improved triode modeling removes “glare” from distortion yielding greater clarity and string separation. Note that the Triode Hardness parameter operates differently than before and also defaults an appropriate value when the model type is selected. Existing presets are automatically updated upon recall.

All Recto models have been reworked. Note that the Orange Modern and Red Modern models have no negative feedback and therefore the Presence control is a Hi Cut control. The operation of this control is reversed as compared to the actual amp. If the amp’s Presence control is fully clockwise the corresponding setting of the model’s Hi Cut control is fully ccw. Also note that the model’s Hi Cut control has about twice the range of the actual amp so fully ccw on the amp is equal to about noon on the model. As noted in the paragraph on MIMIC, the Modern modes are highly sensitive to MV setting. Higher MV settings result in more midrange focus while lower MV settings produce a more scooped tone. It is recommended to experiment with the MV setting to achieve the desired tone while compensating for the level increase/decrease with the Level control.

Completely reworked 65 Bassguy model based on Dweezil Zappa’s amp.

Reworked Euro Blue and Red models as bright cap values were incorrect. For best results it is recommended to reset the model by selecting another model and then reselecting the desired model.

Fixed incorrect inter-stage coupling cap in Wrecker 1 model. Also increased maximum MV value slightly as this was a little low.

Completely reworked PVH 6210 model based on “Block Letter” EVH 5150. This model has been renamed “PVH 6160 Block”.

Added “PVH 6160 II” model based on a Peavey 6505+.

Added "Solo 100 Clean" model based on the clean channel of a Soldano SLO100.

The gain of the USA Lead models has been increased by about two as most people set the Drive knob higher than the setting used in the original models.

Added “USA Pre Green” and “USA Pre Yellow amp models based on Mesa Triaxis LD2 modes. Note that these were modeled with the Triaxis Presence control at maximum as this control is actually a hi-cut control.

Fixed wrong bass taper on 5150 tone stack.

Fixed several minor errors in 5153 Blue and Red models. Fixed wrong bass capacitor value in 5153 Blue tone stack.

Removed Mid Freq parameters from Speaker tab of amp block. MIMIC renders these controls irrelevant and better results are obtained by using any of the EQ resources.

Fixed Hi Cut control in Amp block not working properly for some amp types.

Removed all Motor Drive processing in cab block if Motor Drive is set to zero. This is subtle but there was a tiny bit of coloration before even when the Motor Drive was off.

Removed redundant parameters from Amp block Advanced tab. Also removed grid excursion parameters. These parameters can still be accessed via Axe-Edit.

Changed outermost bands in all graphic EQs to shelving types.

Fixed FX Loop LVL 1 parameter getting corrupted during scene recalls.

man, that's enough stuff to become the final firmware for the axe II! :)
i just hope the sound of the 515X series does not change as much, i really love these as they are.

and yeah...DUMBLE DUMBLE DUMBLE DUMBLE....jeez, it's just an amp guys!

As was pointed out in an earlier posting on this thread; I too love the FAS modern. I do not know how you guys do it, but I am constantly blown away by everything about the Axe.

All I am saying is that if Fractal really cared, they would reverse engineer and build an FAS Modern amp, from the specs that they inserted into the Axe...........Once the amp was built, they could then tone match it, post both clips, and we could discuss which one the real one is ;-)

Thank you to Fractal and to everyone here who has the time to help out us tone noobs. I am honored to be part of such a cool community and to own this ridiculously amazing piece of gear.

JD

Back
Top Bottom