Vernon Reid's crazy rig ...

Very cool - never thought a pro would have the guts to actually use a rig like that live given the risk of breakdown - but - given that the main components are running parallel, it's probably not really that risky and leaves him an isolated "traditional" rig.

Definitely is a wiring nightmare......but, he is a unique player and that's his thing. Some very cool sounds though.

I can't imagine if something goes wrong where to begin troubleshooting haha. But, since he mentions everything is in parallel that he is probably safe if something goes down lol ;)

I do something similar. AX, VG99, GR33, GR300, quad core cpu w/sonar as a mixer and plugins. But mines racked w patch bays. His is a wiring logistics nightmare.

Last edited:
I thought he was a Axe FX user. No? I didn't watch the video.
Actually he is, according to the Fractal Artist page. Strange we don't see/hear anything about that in this video...

Vernon Reid
Living Colour

I have heard the future and it ROCKS! The Axe-Fx gives you outstanding tone and almost limitless programming possibilities. Plug in and freak out!

Actually he is, according to the Fractal Artist page. Strange we don't see/hear anything about that in this video...

Vernon Reid
Living Colour

I have heard the future and it ROCKS! The Axe-Fx gives you outstanding tone and almost limitless programming possibilities. Plug in and freak out!

Yeah he could get rid of allot of extra crap if he would use the AX2.
Guitar Rig? Really? Doesnt hold a candle to the II

the eventide H9 in this video is still a prototype, so this vid may have been made a while ago, before vernon got the axe or integrated it into his setup

He also used to use a Mitigator food controller. I didn't see that there. So it'd be interesting to date this, at least from the gear. Maybe it is pre Fractal. He said he used an Ultra I believe. Or maybe it was the Standard.

I love it. Name another person on Earth using the same rig. The unique individuality is what I salute.

Nothing there appeals to me or applies to me. I LOVE that he's fearlessly doing his OWN thing. That's what matters.

Fearlessly being the name of the game

I'll readily embrace all kinds of tech and use it live, but there's a whole heap of stuff going on there that I'd never want to get near

Of course, I certainly don't need to and he'd definitely never care, so all is cool :D

It's all properly messy too... and that would drive me
screwy.gif

You can tell that he knows what is going on with everything in there and because it's all parallel it would be a lot easier than you might think to troubleshoot. Instead of having one serial chain it's like having each one in a standalone setup and if one thing is missing you know what it is. That also means that there isn't a single point of failure in his system; he won't be taken down completely by one thing breaking.

And yeah it's a frickin' mess in terms of setup, but it would make absolutely no sense to try to make a more permanent solution that is fitted for what is no doubt a revolving door of toys.

I also think that about 90% of the reason it's so complex is that he is utilizing the hexaphonic pickup. If you want truly accurate pitch shifting or the ability to effect one string or a group of them individually you kind of paint yourself into a specific direction. If it was me I'd probably have looked at going with a splitter system that would take each string separately and run each one into it's own processor or something just for convenience.

I would never be into a rig like this, but I don't play in the same style as him. As a matter of fact very few people do. There's a huge difference between dorking around at home or in the studio for fun and actually applying it in a life situation. Lots of very weird toys.

One last point that can't be ignored here....every single thing in his rig is a trip down to the local GC to replace. If something breaks or gets lost it's not a one of a kind limited piece of gear.

Back
Top Bottom