Vernon Reid's crazy rig ...

Yeah, I'm always surprised at forum members who knock professional touring musicians. It's like me criticizing LeBron James' basketball skills. Anyways, I didn't know this sort of thing occurred on gear manufacturer forum sights. I got my first taste of it last year when it was announced that Phil Collen was part of the Axe II family now. Guys were bashing him and his playing. I felt like posting a response, "okay, take your lifetime album sales. Okay, now add 50 million to that number. Congratulations, you are now within 75 million units sold of recordings that Phil Collen can be heard playing on. Regardless of what you think of his playing, please refrain from publicly bashing him until your own personal album sales get within 50 million units of his band's worldwide album sales, or you log in and see players such as Steve Vai or Guthrie Govan publicly bashing him (something you will never ever see). Thank you, and have a nice day."

I know this is a forum, a place to exchange viewpoints, but on the other hand, have some personal dignity and filter your comments too. Have a clutch inserted between your mind and your mouth. Show some respect to those that have composed and recorded music that is now widely recognizable by the guitarist community, and that still earn their living do this, versus your own personal commercial accomplishments.

"But it's freedom of speech, dood! I have the opportunity to post what I think about absolutely anyone, regardless of what I've done, and I'm always right in my world! This right has been enshrined in the constitution...." .....yada yada yada..... you get the idea!

It all boils down to jealousy. Some people stay on forums such as this because they're doing nothing else, including making music. I have yet to see any good musician or contributor on here speak badly of anyone else.

I can also vouch for experience on this. When I had altercations with people, it was when I was in a creative dry spell. It doesn't happen very often, and it's frustrating to see all the positive things going on when your well is dry. Nowadays, I just breath and let it pass. :)

I haven't read most of the vitriol on this thread, but I absolutely hate tearing other musicians down, particularly good ones like VR. I have a few theories as to why. I don't think there's a good place for it. We're all trying to play music and put our own personal spin on it. You like it, good. You don't, fine. But geez.

I haven't (yet) seen Vernon Reid play in the flesh. Those who have (please), do you think he uses his gear to make tones on the fly - adjusting according to how it sounds, or is he re-creating the sound from the albums?

If the latter, then an Axe would help greatly by using Song mode; plus triggering midi from the one IA switch for the other elements of his rig that the Axe can't emulate.

If Vernon is reading this (he is an Axe user), Yek started this thread in appreciation of a fellow sonic pioneer, and certainly not to encourage anything other than wonderment at the audacity of the rig. I'd like to understand more about how the rig is used, how he finds Guitar Rig, and how the Ableton loops are used, especially in conjunction with his hardware looper (is it a Boomerang - I may have got this last bit wrong, as I got distracted by Rebecca).

Knocking Vernon Reid or going on about freedom of speech are off-topic. *EDIT: As also are the responses (although fair) in defence of VR - mine included.* The usual rules should apply. (I defend my distracting remarks about Rebecca on the grounds that she IS distracting, but apologise for the suggestion that we are we all male misogynists. Even though true, it was also off-topic.)

Last edited:
You might need to edit this also. :)

It's a tough call. Judging from the responses to my suggesting we have a thread of hot male guitarists to counter the previous threads about hot female guitarists, I get flamed either way.

Do we have any females in this Forum? (Nobody took up my equal opportunities suggestion, hence my asking. :))

But there we go again - off topic, and another apology due...

Back
Top Bottom