"VALUE" knob set to output volume

I feel you are not changing the correct parameters. Input Trim does not control the preset volume and if you turn it all the way down, you might still hear something due to what its controlling - the input trim.

What is your output of axe connected to?

The User manual is on the Support section of fractalaudio.com

There's a on-the-fly preset leveling option that adjusts(up/down) and saves the preset with 1 tap on a 2 button foot controller. You may not even need a big FC for it.

If you want more on-the-fly, maybe use an expression pedal for your volume.

I suggest at least 2 hours for the manual though :)

The things you will discover are sure to excite your "big knob!"

Last edited:
That's 300+ presets...

Anyway, without doing anything else, I twirled the little knobs.. all of them... none of them made a difference...

How in the world did you get 300+ Presets made and not know how to adjust the level (output)? Or are you using the 300+ factory presets?

There's a on-the-fly preset leveling option that adjusts(up/down) and saves the preset with 1 tap on a 2 button foot controller. You may not even need a big FC for it.
This. The Vol Inc and Vol Dec controls do the following:
Vol Inc increases the scene volume by +1 dB and saves the preset
Vol Dec decreases the scene volume by -1 dB and saves the preset

If you want quick and dirty preset leveling map those two functions to your foot controller and just go through all your presets.

However, the general silent consensus on these forums is that you level your presets via the amp block volume control only and avoid other volume controls if possible (including scene volume). This makes troubleshooting and preset maintenance easier at a later point, as you don't have to check all blocks for rogue volume changes if something is out of balance.

Is there a way to set the "big knob : VALUE" to control output volume for presets?

Push LAYOUT button
Use the arrow buttons to select the AMP block
Push EDIT button
Push PAGE RIGHT button, this will take you to the Power Amp settings where the output level parameter resides
Use arrow buttons to select the output level parameter (it's the one on the far right)
Twist the big knob to your heart's content

Last edited:
Maybe he's using S/PDIF to his PC? Then the output knobs would have no effect.

Isn't this true for USB as well? I'm under the impression that USB output level is a UTILITY or other menu adjustment and not dependent on the OUTPUT LEVEL knobs.

In any case, some more background information about the setup would be a good starting point for community troubleshooting.

I think it's likely that he's using digital output. Otherwise, the Output Level knobs would work. If that's the case, then he has downstream equipment that has a perfectly good volume knob. :)

Steady on ladies!

I understand the issue here. I like to set my patch levels while rehearsing with my band rather than doing it at home and hoping it works.

Try this:

1. Hit the LAYOUT button
2. Hit the PAGE > button four times
3. Hit the Nav > button eight times

You now have control over the output volume of the patch (Labelled MAIN)

Hitting the LAYOUT button should bring this parameter up every time you load a new patch, so all you would need to do is hit the LAYOUT button once, turn the dial then hit STORE once and ENTER twice to save the new setting.

I think what he is after is trying to have quick control to reset volumes of individual patches. Obviously The output knobs don't do that fellas. I believe he is asking how to get the value wheel to act as a full time adjuster of a patches individual amp volume or mixer output volume, so he can level the presets. Most likely the factory set I'm guessing.

OP: You can't. At least not full time. But If you hit layout, and then select AMP on the screen, then hit edit it's there. As stated, spend time with the manual. Also, the suggestion for setting up the foot-switches for auto saving volume adjustments is a good one. That is my go-to move.

After the navigation process has been determined and utilised, the biggest obstacle here is knowing which of those 300 presets needs to be the 'loudest' and working back from there... otherwise I can see clipping entering the fray after what might be the 276th preset edit
wink.gif

The simplest way of all however has to be to use:

Utility / VU / Quick Control A or B

After doing that once, it's simply a matter of hitting the Utility button and A or B (depending on Amp Block being used). Using the VU indicators might help you to avoid running into the clipping scenario as outlined above too
thumbsup.gif

I agree about using the Utility VU meter page.

It's easier to adjust to a reference level via the meter than adjust 300 presets by ear.

In my experience, distorted tones need to read a little hotter on the meter to have the same apparent loudness as clean tones. Probably due to increased compression that comes with gain.

I have given myself a load of headroom to combat this issue, and because I use some pretty damn loud tape delay feedback as spot effects.

The VU may show higher readings on palm mutes BTW.

Thanks to those who replied with constructive suggestions.

I am using AES outputs ... Never realized that would have made a difference.

Having had a kemper for a few months, and every piece of audio gear I have ever owned, I assumed an output volume knob would be a given. Not so it seems.

Anyway, I may try to use my Morley pedal in the fx loop ...

Last edited:

Having had a kemper for a few months, and every piece of audio gear I have ever owned, I assumed an output volume knob would be a given. Not so it seems.

The unit does have an output volume knob, 2 of them in fact, but not for the digital I/O, which frankly aren't something most people need a volume control for.

The Kemper and every other piece of audio gear has a dedicated output knob on the front panel which controls the digital I/O ??

Why mess with an analog volume pedal in the loop for that matter ? Why not just get an expression pedal and assign it to level controls or a volume block ?

yes, the connection type and other details always make a difference. with a digital connection like AES or even USB, the analog Output Knobs do not affect anything... because it is a digital connection.

any reason for the AES preference? maybe this is just as simple as using analog connections instead.

Back
Top Bottom