USB WILL NOT WORK

Update...
Tried yet another USB cable with same result.
Attempted install on a second computer running Windows 7 with same result.

First. Forget about USB for a couple of moments and bloody well PLAY THE DARN THING!

Spend some time actually discovering the core business of the unit which is crafting glorious guitar tones!

Plug in a guitar and a couple of speakers and run through the presets. See if anything tickles your eardrums before, as our Dutch saying goes: you throw out the kid with the bathwater.

The USB thing will come later. You still have a couple of days, don't you? I get the frustration, but USB is not essential for the operation of the unit. Nobody ever got left in the cold on this unit. It will get fixed. Get some good vibes first.

Thanks for the replies Rain and loopie.
I did restart my computer with the same failed result.

As I stated initially..."I'm guessing the issue may be the fact that the Fractal Audio Systems USB Audio Driver v2.23.0 is not being installed"
Would rebooting install this driver? I still do not see this driver.

Again, does anyone know how to manually install this driver?

Anyone able to resolve a similar issue?

Thanks

If the driver is not being installed, then something within Windows is keeping it from being installed.
I just installed a copy of Oracle Virtualbox on my Mac computer, then Windows 7 inside that.
I enabled the USB port to be passed along though my computer to the Windows 7 virtual machine.
I then installed the FAX USB Driver for Windows 2014.06.06.
No issues.
It appears that part of the driver install is to test if the USB subsystem will communicate with the Axe-Fx properly.
When the AFX powers up, it sends a signal via USB to your system to download the USB communications driver into the AFX.
Part of the driver install is to test that this is working. On your system it is not apparently.
It works for most people, and those it does not always seem to have a problem with USB cable or permissions for the installer to
copy the appropriate files to the "drivers home area". This may be blocked due to virus, user permissions, another driver already
locking the USB subsystem, etc. As no one in the inter-webs can see your computer or setup except you, you will be the driving and determining
factor if the install works. The USB cable seems to be the most common issue and it's why so many people repeat it.
Heed the advice and get a good known working USB cable. Then remove ALL USB devices and install again.
That means getting rid of your USB keyboard, mouse, iPhone, USB lamp, etc. Get rid of everything connected to the USB.
At this point I would get an older keyboard and plug it into the PS/2 connection along with a PS/2 mouse.
Naturally, reboot. Go through the installer again. If it fails, try again using all available USB ports. Different ports are connected
to different USB hardware controllers within your machine. The original poster gave info on the proper way to manually install the driver.
This issue comes up once in a while, and unfortunately it's always either bad hardware or bad software on the users end.
Remember, FAS cannot force a driver install, it can only provide it to Windows and Windows puts it where it wants it.
If it fails, it's not because FAS didn't write a good driver or good installer program.
Something on your machine is keeping it from getting installed.
Only you or your local IT support team will be able to help you out.
We can only pass along information gleaned from past experiences and what various people have done to resolve it.

Loopie..

Axe Fx community,

... New to the Axe fx I believe it will be a huge benefit to be able to learn about the unit, blocks, params and where to drill down to find various params from the comfort of my computer screen. To me, from scratch trying to maneuver around with the front face at this point to try to find things to edit is like trying to build a battleship in the dark!

Again, I look forward to any help that this powerful community can provide.
I believe that without this capability I will be returning the unit for refund.

Thanks!

Axe edit is a great convenience. Before returning the unit I suggest you find a way to get windows 7 or get another PC. You're frustration is the reason many people including myself don't install the latest upgrades to some computing devices; sometimes there are issues. Still running Windows 7 here and its trouble free.

Also, before returning it, just play some presets without worrying too much about tweaking the settings. Just find the basic parameters page for the amp block so you can adjust Gain, Master Volume and BMT and after playing for awhile, decide if you think it's worth the bother. Start at preset 1 and just work your way up.

Send an email to support and tell them you are having issues and may be returning it, depending on whether you can work this out or not. They will try to help, and may give you a little leeway so you have time to work out your issues.

I got the axe and got rid of a bunch of gear, which cost quite a bit more than the axe, making room for more guitars.

Last edited:
Thanks for the the much appreciated advice and info Dutch, loopie and Randy4Guitars.
I have essentially done just that...yesterday I submitted a ticket to fractal, plugged the system back in and am working my way through auditioning the presets.
I like to dial in my sound to taste and there are lots of things I'm hearing that I would tweak in a given preset but I'll come back to them.

With my limited interaction time with the fractal what I'm hearing so far (maybe first 40 presets)...
Overall sounds are recognizable recreations of the sounds I would expect from a given amp model, the 'feel' isn't always there (I'm guessing finding the right params and tweaking them). Through my studio monitors the general theme is that there are too many (maybe low) frequencies for a natural 'feel'. It makes the strings feel fat and heavy and I therefor feel the need to press too hard.

I've managed to find where to turn off the cab and power amp sims and run through my Mesa 2:90 stereo through Marshall 4x12 with vintage 30's with so far better results regarding 'feel'.

I can hear and feel huge potential in this unit. nothing yet that is the holy grail.

The effects processors are phenomenal but again I need to be able to dial them in. ex.stereo chorus that seems to be similar on each preset is lush but way to present in the sound. I'd like pull it back into the guitar sound instead of consuming it. I'll try to get to those params via front face today. Same with eq, gains, stompboxes etc.

I will remove the usb wireless keyboard/mouse tied into a usb port on my laptop and try that port as well.

Randy, I have tried another PC running windows 7 with the same outcome.

Thanks again. I will update.

The effects processors are phenomenal but again I need to be able to dial them in. ex.stereo chorus that seems to be similar on each preset is lush but way to present in the sound. I'd like pull it back into the guitar sound instead of consuming it. I'll try to get to those params via front face today. Same with eq, gains, stompboxes etc.

It sound like you need to get a little more familiar with using the front panel on the Axe-Fx.
It may look a bit overwhelming now, but with a little practice, you can do TONS of stuff via the front panel.
I would recommend taking a look at youtube for some videos on tone adjustment.
A good place to start would be with Axe-FX Classic Rock Tone.
Although you may not be looking for the sound he is creating, he give an excellent showing of how to navigate the front panel and work with blocks.
You can move along your block chain to the block you would like to modify, select "enter" via the front panel button.
That will go into the editing menu for that block. You can make quick mods via the A,B,C,D knobs and they are labeled in the
screen. You can move along the tabs for each block for extended configurations.
Most effects have more than you will need to adjust the parameters for each effect.
Most chorus pedals have three or four knobs. The Axe will have lots more to make a wide adjustment to you chorus.
You can save these a predefined global blocks for use later. If you search the wiki and the forums, search for "mother of all", you will find that
many people have spelled out common configs for lots of effects that duplicate or replicate common stop boxes.
There will always be homebrew and super extended stomp pedals that the Axe-Fx cannot replicate 100%, but it comes really close, all in one box.
If you need "your" special hardware pedal, the Axe can handle it via an external loop.

Regardless of your sound equipment, you will need to spend a fair amount of time dialing it in to get it to sound the way you want with your
guitar, your fingers, volume, amp, speakers, etc. Many a guitar player has swapped out many effect pedals looking for the "perfect" fuzz or something.
Don't expect the Axe-Fx to give you everything you want right out of the box.
You will need to dial it in for you. This will take time, effort and learning. Just like learning to play guitar.
Good luck, have fun..

Loopie.

P.S. When you figure out how to modify the Chorus Block, check out "mix", this is probably what you are after..
Also check out Kris's videos. Awesome for getting started. Answers tons of questions.. Axe-Fx & Fractal Audio Tutorials | AxeFxTutorials.com

Last edited:
Thanks to all for your help and recommendations.

After trading several emails with Ryan @ support he arranged a time to call and set up a go-to-meeting with me.
This was great that he could see what was happening on my screen while talking to me over the phone.
Apparently my issue was unique since the statement 'never saw this before' came up a few times.
Ryan was excellent methodically going through the process resolving issues that arose.
He never got impatient and was unwilling to give up until resolution was achieved.
After about 1 hour of working through things he got me fully up and fully operational!!

Working with axe fx without the interface was challenging (imagine trying to look through your amp choices 1 at a time through the front face as a newbie) but I have a better understanding of editing from the unit now.
I will be drilling down through the parameters using my PC tonight and can't wait to see what I hear!

Happy ending due to great support.

--John

It would be helpful if you can explain what the fix was.

I considered trying to post details yek, but not having the understanding of the installer sections, file locations/destinations and interactions I thought it best to post the info that I did to make others aware that there are some unique install issues and that support is there to help resolve. I believe one of the issues was that when I initially attempted to install windows 8.1 was trying to look for a windows driver, failed and disabled axe fx 2 I believe in sound. There were several layers of issues to dig through but I can't fill in all the blanks. The 'Lenovo Solution Center' was either part of the problem or at least displayed part of the problem on the system.

Maybe Ryan can post the details in a sticky in the forum.
I will email and ask...

Back
Top Bottom