USB WILL NOT WORK

Aqua Lung

I'm sick of it. I've gone 2 months without axe-edit. I have tried everything. I have tried this but once I get to step 18 the installer tells me

"Setup requires that the device is plugged in. Please connect the device you want to install and make sure it is turned on. If your device is currently connected, please unplug and replug it."

I have turned it off, turned it on again, again and again. I have tried different usb ports. I have tried everything. I even reinstalled windows.

Axe-Fx II USB Driver Installation Steps (Windows)
Posted by Ryan Buckley on Apr 18, 2014 - 10:37 am
The following procedure will walk through the Axe-Fx II USB Driver installation on Windows.

If you have already installed the driver and are looking to re-install the driver you need to begin by removing the following items via the Control Panel's Add/Remove Programs.

Fractal Audio Systems USB Audio Driver v2.23.0

Fractal Audio Systems USB Driver Package 2014.06.06

Windows Driver Package - Fractal Audio Systems (axefx2load) USB

Driver installation steps:

1. Run the driver installer.

2. Click Next on the welcome page.

3. Accept the license agreement.

4. Select the destination to unpack the installer packages and click Next. The default should be C:\Program Files\Fractal Audio Systems\USB Audio Driver.

5. The ready page confirms the installation location, click Install. This will unpack the installer's contents including placing the axefx2load.spt file in C:\Windows\System32\axefx2load. This file is downloaded by the Axe-Fx II when it is connected to the computer and powered on. It allows the Axe-Fx II to identify itself to the operating system as a valid device.

6. Check C:\Windows\System32\axefx2load and make sure that axefx2load.spt is present.

7. Click Next to install the USB bootloader. Windows may show a warning stating that the publisher cannot be verified. This is okay, install the driver software anyway.

8. You will then be prompted to turn off the Axe-Fx II. It's okay if the unit is already off. Make sure the Axe-Fx II is connected to the computer via USB and power the unit on. This will allow the Axe-Fx II to download the axefx2load.spt file. Once this occurs the computer should be able to communicate with the Axe-Fx II for the remainder of the driver installation process.

9. Click Next to install the driver. If the steps listed above were done correctly you should not get an error.

10. Click Finish to complete the installation.

11. Go to C:\Program Files\Fractal Audio Systems\Fractal Audio Systems USB Driver Package 2014.06.06\Driver and run FASUSBAudioSpy.exe. Device 0 should be present in the leftmost pane. Expanding the Device 0 section should show MIDI Ports (IN) and MIDI Ports (OUT) as the last two entries. If all of these are present the driver was installed correctly.

If the above steps do not work then you can try installing the bootloader and driver manually.

1. Run the driver installer.

2. Click Next on the welcome page.

3. Accept the license agreement.

4. Select the destination to unpack the installer packages to and click Next. The default should be C:\Program Files\Fractal Audio Systems\Fractal Audio Systems USB Driver Package 2014.06.06.

5. The ready page confirms the installation location, click Install. This will unpack the installer's contents including placing the axefx2load.spt file in C:\Windows\System32\axefx2load. This file is downloaded by the Axe-Fx II when it is connected to the computer and powered on. It allows the Axe-Fx II to identify itself to the operating system as a valid device.

6. Check C:\Windows\System32\axefx2load and make sure that axefx2load.spt is present.

7. Run the Task Manager and kill the 'Setup - Fractal Audio Systems USB Driver Package 2014.06.06' application.

8. Open an Explorer window and navigate to C:\Program Files\Fractal Audio Systems\Fractal Audio Systems USB Driver Package 2014.06.06\Bootloader\Win7\x64

9. Run setup.exe in the x64 folder.

10. Click Next on the Welcome page.

11. Accept the license agreement and click Next.

12. The installer will begin to install the USB bootloader. Windows may prompt you with a warning stating that it cannot verify the publisher of the driver. This is okay. Click "Install this driver software anyway."

13. Click Finish to complete the installation of the bootloader.

14. Connect the Axe-Fx II to the computer via USB.

15. Power on the Axe-Fx II.

16. Navigate to C:\Program Files\Fractal Audio Systems\Fractal Audio Systems USB Driver Package 2014.06.06\Driver and run setup.exe to begin the USB driver installation.

17. Click Next on the Welcome page.

18. The installer will verify that it can communicate with the Axe-Fx II and then prompt you for the driver installation location. The default will be C:\Program Files\Fractal Audio Systems\USB Audio Driver. Click Install to proceed.

19. The driver installation will complete. Click Next to continue to the completion page.

20. Click Finish to complete the installation.

21. Run Axe-Edit to make sure the computer is communicating with the Axe-Fx II.

Last edited by a moderator:
You should delete this thread and keep it all in the one bug thread you already posted. Spreading it around isn't going to make it any easier for people to help you.

Did you try a different cable?

Edited your post. I understand frustration, and we're here to help, but let's be constructive.

Reactions: yek
You have a WINDOWS problem, not an Axe Fx problem.

Make sure Windowz sees the Axe II (you can see it in hardware), if it doesn't, it's a driver problem. If it does, then you may not be using the software as intended. Check to make sure you're running as administrator

I'm sure you have but I'll ask anyway so it's documented. Have you verified that your PC is working properly with other USB devices?

As electronpirate has stated, this is almost surely a Windows or PC issue.

Also, with all due respect as I know you are frustrated, you will get a lot more help and consideration if you don't duplicate your posts and tone down the animosity. People are just trying to help you.

Last edited:
Yeah it tells me this.

"Setup requires that the device is plugged in. Please connect the device you want to install and make sure it is turned on. If your device is currently connected, please unplug and replug it."

I have done that. Still dont work.

If you could, quote the question you are answering so we all don't get confused. When you say you have done that are you referring to one of our questions or saying you did the unplug and replug thing?

Back
Top Bottom