USB WILL NOT WORK

Once I get to step 18 the installer tells me

"Setup requires that the device is plugged in. Please connect the device you want to install and make sure it is turned on. If your device is currently connected, please unplug and replug it."

I have turned it off, turned it on again, again and again. I have tried different usb ports. I have tried everything. I even reinstalled windows.

Axe-Fx II USB Driver Installation Steps (Windows)
Posted by Ryan Buckley on Apr 18, 2014 - 10:37 am
The following procedure will walk through the Axe-Fx II USB Driver installation on Windows.

If you have already installed the driver and are looking to re-install the driver you need to begin by removing the following items via the Control Panel's Add/Remove Programs.

Fractal Audio Systems USB Audio Driver v2.23.0

Fractal Audio Systems USB Driver Package 2014.06.06

Windows Driver Package - Fractal Audio Systems (axefx2load) USB

Driver installation steps:

1. Run the driver installer.

2. Click Next on the welcome page.

3. Accept the license agreement.

4. Select the destination to unpack the installer packages and click Next. The default should be C:\Program Files\Fractal Audio Systems\USB Audio Driver.

5. The ready page confirms the installation location, click Install. This will unpack the installer's contents including placing the axefx2load.spt file in C:\Windows\System32\axefx2load. This file is downloaded by the Axe-Fx II when it is connected to the computer and powered on. It allows the Axe-Fx II to identify itself to the operating system as a valid device.

6. Check C:\Windows\System32\axefx2load and make sure that axefx2load.spt is present.

7. Click Next to install the USB bootloader. Windows may show a warning stating that the publisher cannot be verified. This is okay, install the driver software anyway.

8. You will then be prompted to turn off the Axe-Fx II. It's okay if the unit is already off. Make sure the Axe-Fx II is connected to the computer via USB and power the unit on. This will allow the Axe-Fx II to download the axefx2load.spt file. Once this occurs the computer should be able to communicate with the Axe-Fx II for the remainder of the driver installation process.

9. Click Next to install the driver. If the steps listed above were done correctly you should not get an error.

10. Click Finish to complete the installation.

11. Go to C:\Program Files\Fractal Audio Systems\Fractal Audio Systems USB Driver Package 2014.06.06\Driver and run FASUSBAudioSpy.exe. Device 0 should be present in the leftmost pane. Expanding the Device 0 section should show MIDI Ports (IN) and MIDI Ports (OUT) as the last two entries. If all of these are present the driver was installed correctly.

If the above steps do not work then you can try installing the bootloader and driver manually.

1. Run the driver installer.

2. Click Next on the welcome page.

3. Accept the license agreement.

4. Select the destination to unpack the installer packages to and click Next. The default should be C:\Program Files\Fractal Audio Systems\Fractal Audio Systems USB Driver Package 2014.06.06.

5. The ready page confirms the installation location, click Install. This will unpack the installer's contents including placing the axefx2load.spt file in C:\Windows\System32\axefx2load. This file is downloaded by the Axe-Fx II when it is connected to the computer and powered on. It allows the Axe-Fx II to identify itself to the operating system as a valid device.

6. Check C:\Windows\System32\axefx2load and make sure that axefx2load.spt is present.

7. Run the Task Manager and kill the 'Setup - Fractal Audio Systems USB Driver Package 2014.06.06' application.

8. Open an Explorer window and navigate to C:\Program Files\Fractal Audio Systems\Fractal Audio Systems USB Driver Package 2014.06.06\Bootloader\Win7\x64

9. Run setup.exe in the x64 folder.

10. Click Next on the Welcome page.

11. Accept the license agreement and click Next.

12. The installer will begin to install the USB bootloader. Windows may prompt you with a warning stating that it cannot verify the publisher of the driver. This is okay. Click "Install this driver software anyway."

13. Click Finish to complete the installation of the bootloader.

14. Connect the Axe-Fx II to the computer via USB.

15. Power on the Axe-Fx II.

16. Navigate to C:\Program Files\Fractal Audio Systems\Fractal Audio Systems USB Driver Package 2014.06.06\Driver and run setup.exe to begin the USB driver installation.

17. Click Next on the Welcome page.

18. The installer will verify that it can communicate with the Axe-Fx II and then prompt you for the driver installation location. The default will be C:\Program Files\Fractal Audio Systems\USB Audio Driver. Click Install to proceed.

19. The driver installation will complete. Click Next to continue to the completion page.

20. Click Finish to complete the installation.

21. Run Axe-Edit to make sure the computer is communicating with the Axe-Fx II.

firstly, USB cables arnt made the same, id go out and buy a properly speced USB 2 cable
Additional save your sanity, and just find someone close with an axefx2, and check your box on their pc

if it doesn't work on their pc, then we have worked something out

firstly, USB cables arnt made the same, id go out and buy a properly speced USB 2 cable
Additional save your sanity, and just find someone close with an axefx2, and check your box on their pc

if it doesn't work on their pc, then we have worked something out[/QU

What kind of cable does it need to be exactly?

I've been using my PC. I just tried to install and hook it up on my laptop and I got the same result which is "Error Code: 105 Unable to communicate with the Fractal Audio Systems."

A usb 2 cable, i only mention this as i had a similar problem, i tried with a perfectly working usb cable i had around, and it didn't work, when i changed cables it worked

I think the fact now you have tried on another pc/laptop, its safe to say its not your pc, it seeminly must be cable, axefx, or some setting which turns off usb on the axe, i'm not sure whether one exists or not, someone else could potentially answer that

I have seen many cases where the usb cable itself was to blame :/
Potentially an easy fix though!!

Try removing the folder "C:\Users\<your-username>\AppData\Roaming\Fractal Audio\Axe-Edit" and then reinstalling the driver.

I'll assume that you have tried more than one cable, the last test would be to try the axe on someone elses setup, that would be definitive proof its the axefx

Questions

Do you know anyone else with an axeFx?
Where do you live, maybe someone on the forum lives close?
Where did you buy you axeFx from, was it second hand?

I'll assume that you have tried more than one cable, the last test would be to try the axe on someone elses setup, that would be definitive proof its the axefx

Questions

Do you know anyone else with an axeFx?
Where do you live, maybe someone on the forum lives close?
Where did you buy you axeFx from, was it second hand?

I've been trying on my PC.
I tried it on my laptop and got the same result. "Error Code 105: Unable to communicate with the Fractal Audio Systems."

If you're getting USB connectivity problems on 2 different PCs then it might well be a USB port problem or corrupt FW install on the AxeFX side - did your USB ever work since getting your Axe? Or did this problem arise after a FW update or anything like that?

Have you a usb to midi converter interface anywhere you could try - IE connect to the AxeFX via MIDI cable?

On the PC side of things ..... Try the procedure exlained here: USB Driver - General Fix for Problems - Windows 7 Help Forums .... make sure to follow the procedure exactly as described. You will need an external USB device other than the AxeFX to plug in as part of the procedure - I just used my iPhone - but a pen drive or something lie that would do it ok too I expect.

Try a 3rd one. Really. I've come across so many bad USB cables.

And you're not using a hub or extension cable I hope.

If you're getting USB connectivity problems on 2 different PCs then it might well be a USB port problem or corrupt FW install on the AxeFX side - did your USB ever work since getting your Axe? Or did this problem arise after a FW update or anything like that?

Have you a usb to midi converter interface anywhere you could try - IE connect to the AxeFX via MIDI cable?

On the PC side of things ..... Try the procedure exlained here: USB Driver - General Fix for Problems - Windows 7 Help Forums .... make sure to follow the procedure exactly as described. You will need an external USB device other than the AxeFX to plug in as part of the procedure - I just used my iPhone - but a pen drive or something lie that would do it ok too I expect.

Yes, my USB did work when I first got it. But then it just stopped working. I did do a firmware update with "Fractal Bot." The USB continued to work after the firmware update but then stopped. Hold on, let me try the PC thing.

Yes, my USB did work when I first got it. But then it just stopped working. I did do a firmware update with "Fractal Bot." The USB continued to work after the firmware update but then stopped. Hold on, let me try the PC thing.

I tried the PC procedure. Still got "Error Code 105:"

Try using a MIDI cable via a USB/MIDI interface if possible - if you still can't connect that way then shipping the AxeFX back to base for an inspection would be my recomendation ....

I have the same issue with my computer. The problem is that your computer is "trying to be smart". What it's doing is trying to use it's driver, which obviously doesn't work with the axe, so it then shuts down the USB port. What works for me is to instantly stop the computer from trying to use it's driver. That gives the axe time to connect with the computer and then you can install the driver. I feel your frustration...I can't use my main computer because it instantly disables the USB port. On my friends computer, I did what I already explained and now I can use it at will w/out issues.

Back
Top Bottom