usb from axe3 to computer causing youtube to be choppy? anyone else? solutions?

dalep

for some reason I have always ran out of the rack connected to my computer via usb and used axe edit. I also rehearse this way along with creating patches. For some reason now, when i go to youtube to learn or practice. youtube is choppy at best. If I unplug the usb, the video works fine.
my set up is axe fx 3 usb to computer. for monitoring i use the outputs of the axe fx to a shure p4m to my in ears. but today every website works while hooked up to the axe fx just fine except youtube. Any ideas what is going on? I have used it this way for years.

I use axe fx 3 only usb and also YouTube and spotify.

Only things that i noticed with usb only is some crackling while using mouse and knobs from axe edit

AND

When away from pc that my pc does not reckognise the usb driver.

I have usb audio from pc through output 1 and headrush to output 3 (no usb audio).

Mostly when problems with usb its cable or pc.

Can you give more info or have a preset or audio example?

I’ve had a variety of weird usb audio issues like this with my fractal units, along with the latency reporting issue. I ended up getting a dedicated interface for my home setup and running the Fractal units with SPDIF. Much smoother and more flexible for me, the sound is the same, and I don’t have to plug/unplug my monitors ever.

I’ve had a variety of weird usb audio issues like this with my fractal units, along with the latency reporting issue. I ended up getting a dedicated interface for my home setup and running the Fractal units with SPDIF. Much smoother and more flexible for me, the sound is the same, and I don’t have to plug/unplug my monitors ever.

Hi Alex

Can you tell me if I can control the EQ separate from streaming youtube backing tracks from guitar with separate interface cant seem to get that to work in global axe edit III settings - I change guitar output 1 guitar EQ and its affecting the Youtube stream EQ also

Yes I can counter that with a windows eq but a pia

No nothing about SPDIF any input on that ? certain cables ? watch outs ?

Thanks much

Hi Alex

Can you tell me if I can control the EQ separate from streaming youtube backing tracks from guitar with separate interface cant seem to get that to work in global axe edit III settings - I change guitar output 1 guitar EQ and its affecting the Youtube stream EQ also

Yes I can counter that with a windows eq but a pia

No nothing about SPDIF any input on that ? certain cables ? watch outs ?

Thanks much

I also saw your post here

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...h-other-audio-interfaces.182578/#post-2242043

Basically I want to use my headphones 800S's with headphone amps in AXE III - guitar on output 1 of course and not have global EQ change EQ on streaming youtube backing tracks - only EQ the guitar

Would a separate audio interface achieve this ? want to get windows audio off of the AXE III audio - thanks much

Any audio sent from the Fractal to your interface would be entirely independent of any audio coming from your computer.

If you want to independently EQ whatever you’re playing along with, I would download the audio and open it in your DAW.

I also never use global EQ on the fractal. The sounds I use when practicing or recording I dial in so I can send them without any tweaking in post, and when I play live our FOH engineer handles that kind of stuff, though I’ve worked with him and others to get my sounds to where they can mostly be left flat at FOH and any room adjustments happen on the master bus level of the console.

Any audio sent from the Fractal to your interface would be entirely independent of any audio coming from your computer.

Thanks Alex

"Any audio sent from the Fractal to your interface would be entirely independent of any audio coming from your computer"

Are you saying that an interface would allow me to separate youtube audio from axe unit audio ? without using daw

I have latest Studio one software just prefer not to take extra steps of using it just want to stream youtube and practice leads, I find using output 1 for guitar global eq works very well on my headphones

By the way your presets are awesome - thanks Buddy

Thanks Alex

"Any audio sent from the Fractal to your interface would be entirely independent of any audio coming from your computer"

Are you saying that an interface would allow me to separate youtube audio from axe unit audio ? without using daw

I have latest Studio one software just prefer not to take extra steps of using it just want to stream youtube and practice leads, I find using output 1 for guitar global eq works very well on my headphones

By the way your presets are awesome - thanks Buddy
Glad you like the presets. Not sure what you mean by “separate” the audio from the two sources.

Glad you like the presets. Not sure what you mean by “separate” the audio from the two sources.
I dont want global EQ Output 1 in axe edit to change the eq of the streaming youtube backing tracks - maybe Im overthinking this - thanks Alex

for some reason I have always ran out of the rack connected to my computer via usb and used axe edit. I also rehearse this way along with creating patches. For some reason now, when i go to youtube to learn or practice. youtube is choppy at best. If I unplug the usb, the video works fine.
my set up is axe fx 3 usb to computer. for monitoring i use the outputs of the axe fx to a shure p4m to my in ears. but today every website works while hooked up to the axe fx just fine except youtube. Any ideas what is going on? I have used it this way for years.

I've always been using the Axe-FX III as the main audio interface for all tasks at my laptop with Win10 and I never got any issue.

If it has also been working for you for until now, have you recently installed some software that could affect the performance? Virus? Did you check the CPU/Memory/Disk performance at the Task Manager? Does it also has issues with the DAW?

I've always been using the Axe-FX III as the main audio interface for all tasks at my laptop with Win10 and I never got any issue.

If it has also been working for you for until now, have you recently installed some software that could affect the performance? Virus? Did you check the CPU/Memory/Disk performance at the Task Manager? Does it also has issues with the DAW?

No issues that I know of I have a 5,000$ pc I built - just enjoy just jamming along with youtube backing tracks and dont want pc sound EQ to change when I change the global output 1 EQ in Axe Edit while streaming Youtube backing tracks - drives me crazy lol

Wondering if a audio interface separate from axe unit would help with that - seems weird that axe global output 1 and windows sound are tied together I want them separate entities

Nope, not had this issue.

Try a different cable. But the fact it's just youtube makes me think this is a computer/browser problem.

That's the whole point of global EQ. It affects all signals going to the output. If you need EQ only for the guitar, use an EQ block in the preset. Global EQ is best used for things like room and headphones correction.

I dont want global EQ Output 1 in axe edit to change the eq of the streaming youtube backing tracks - maybe Im overthinking this - thanks Alex
Yes a dedicated interface will solve that and your YouTube issue. Scarlett 8i6 is inexpensive, has spdif I/O, and a software mixer so you have easy independent control of the volume of your guitar and pc audio.

Last edited:
Yes a dedicated interface will solve that and your YouTube issue. Scarlett 8i6 is inexpensive, has spdif I/O, and a software mixer so you have easy independent control of the volume of your guitar and pc audio.
It absolutely will not if you are using the Axe-Fx 3 as the output device. Anything going to the outputs will be affected by global EQ.

It absolutely will not if you are using the Axe-Fx 3 as the output device. Anything going to the outputs will be affected by global EQ.

Hmm interesting I was thinking it wasnt possible - other than the spdif involved which I dont know much about so not sure what to do they arent that cheap for latest gen - tried voicemeter stuff big pia - thanks Guys

It absolutely will not if you are using the Axe-Fx 3 as the output device. Anything going to the outputs will be affected by global EQ

The whole point of suggesting he use a dedicated interface is to not use the axe3 as the output device for his computer audio, solving both issues.

Using spdif output to an audio interface won't help you with that since the global EQ isn't applied to the spdif output. The simpler solution is probably to just use a global EQ block. That will allow you to globally EQ your guitar without affecting the playback audio.

Using spdif output to an audio interface won't help you with that since the global EQ isn't applied to the spdif output. The simpler solution is probably to just use a global EQ block. That will allow you to globally EQ your guitar without affecting the playback audio.

Great idea Glenn opens lots of possibilities - thanks Buddy - Also Look into Alex's thoughts on an interface especially for any latency issues

Back
Top Bottom