usb from axe3 to computer causing youtube to be choppy? anyone else? solutions?

Using spdif output to an audio interface won't help you with that since the global EQ isn't applied to the spdif output. The simpler solution is probably to just use a global EQ block. That will allow you to globally EQ your guitar without affecting the playback audio.

Wow Glenn adding that EQ in grid is AMAZING - I cant believe how good AXE sounds now - sounds like your in a concert - now if I can translate what I m hearing in my headphones to a recording I will be in heaven :) thanks so much

Last edited:
Yes a dedicated interface will solve that and your YouTube issue. Scarlett 8i6 is inexpensive, has spdif I/O, and a software mixer so you have easy independent control of the volume of your guitar and pc audio.

Alex decided to also order a Antelope Zen Go Synergy Core - if your using then its good enough for me - they get very good reviews - thanks Buddy

Alex decided to also order a Antelope Zen Go Synergy Core - if your using then its good enough for me - they get very good reviews - thanks Buddy

Haha it’s a great sounding unit. Drivers and software are a little rough but definitely functional. The main reason I went with that unit aside from SPDIF for recording the Axe-FX is the built in DSP/FGPA for emulating mic pres and compressors and other hardware in real time. If you don’t need that functionality then IMO the 8i6 is a better choice.

Haha it’s a great sounding unit. Drivers and software are a little rough but definitely functional. The main reason I went with that unit aside from SPDIF for recording the Axe-FX is the built in DSP/FGPA for emulating mic pres and compressors and other hardware in real time. If you don’t need that functionality then IMO the 8i6 is a better choice.

Yikes Alex I just bought Zen all ready - will the software that controls the unit be ok ? I dont care much about plugins just the software that controls in and outs to have some control over what does what - have the axe for all my other needs :)

Rough in what way ?

Thanks for the replies, after i went back and ran the cable to the same usb as I originally had for some reason everything works fine.

Quick question Alex should I use SPDIF or XLR to the input to the Zen from Axe ? I am not using a mic - thanks much

Oh do I use 1 SPIDIF cable or both from Axe to Zen ? thank you

Last edited:
Yikes Alex I just bought Zen all ready - will the software that controls the unit be ok ? I dont care much about plugins just the software that controls in and outs to have some control over what does what - have the axe for all my other needs :)

Rough in what way ?

I would describe it as just OK. It works, but it doesn’t look great. You’ll see what I mean once you get it installed and running. It’s also not super intuitive to learn, but with some YouTube videos you’ll get it.

Quick question Alex should I use SPDIF or XLR to the input to the Zen from Axe ? I am not using a mic - thanks much

Oh do I use 1 SPIDIF cable or both from Axe to Zen ? thank you

I run two spdif cables, one from axe to zen go and one from zen go to axe. This way I can use the zen go as my master clock and reamp digitally. I use spdif to free up the mic pres and keep the signal digital which is more of a neurotic preference thing than an audible thing, I try to keep the number of conversions to a minimum.

I would describe it as just OK. It works, but it doesn’t look great. You’ll see what I mean once you get it installed and running. It’s also not super intuitive to learn, but with some YouTube videos you’ll get it.
You're going to kill :) do you have a screenshot of Zen software settings and Axe io settings - thanks so much for your time - Zen should be here this Wednesday - not good with this stuff :(

I would assume you're going SPIDIF out of axe to the ZEN SPIDIF in
and SPIDIF out of ZEN into SPIDIF into the axe

I DONT reamp I like to record realtime wet

Read this on another post does this apply maybe:
====================================================
I have Axe3: word clock INTERNAL, SPIDIF/AESselect spdif, spidf/aes out source Output1

Focusrite: Sample rate 48, sync source SPDIF

Use two SPDIF cables, in and Out

Yes, that's generally the best way to do a spdif configuration.

Note that, as Strabes says, he has a bit of an unusual setup in that he needs to free up an input for a mic. Unless you're also lacking a mic input, mimicing his setup probably shouldn't be your first choice. Even if you do need the extra input, it would probably make more sense to solve that by getting an 8i6 instead of a Zen Go since that has more i/o. As Strabes says, the reason one would get a Zen Go is for the ability to print effects when recording.

One other note, spdif is not the simplest way to connect an Axe-FX to a computer. However, sometimes it's the best option because of your particular requirements. For example if you want to record a mic at the same time as your Axe-FX. But, if you're looking for a simple way to connect an Axe-FX to a computer, spdif is not that.

Yes, that's generally the best way to do a spdif configuration.

Note that, as Strabes says, he has a bit of an unusual setup in that he needs to free up an input for a mic. Unless you're also lacking a mic input, mimicing his setup probably shouldn't be your first choice. Even if you do need the extra input, it would probably make more sense to solve that by getting an 8i6 instead of a Zen Go since that has more i/o. As Strabes says, the reason one would get a Zen Go is for the ability to print effects when recording.

One other note, spdif is not the simplest way to connect an Axe-FX to a computer. However, sometimes it's the best option because of your particular requirements. For example if you want to record a mic at the same time as your Axe-FX. But, if you're looking for a simple way to connect an Axe-FX to a computer, spdif is not that.

Thanks again I already ordered a ZEN :( it gets glowing reviews even over the scarlett

I am only eliminating latency and record wet nothing special at all - no mics - just the cleanest setup possible latency wise

what would be the simplest way to do that - I just jam on the fly Youtube backing tracks and also save a backing track as mp3 and load it into studio one and do a lead track to record how it sounds thats it

How would you have the ZEN as the master interface to Studio one and I still hear my AXE wet effects ?

The Zen Go is an excellent audio interface/dsp processor. However, for the low latency monitoring through the computer scenario that you're describing, the most important factor for low latency is not your audio interface. Instead, it is the audio buffer size in your DAW (and the corresponding buffer size in your Axe-FX).

In other words, IMHO there's no need for a dedicated audio interface for the simple use case you've described. Even configuration #1 in the recording guide will suffice. Are there cases where a dedicated audio interface and spdif makes sense? Yes, of course, but it doesn't seem like it's a good choice for you.

Back
Top Bottom